30 replies to this topic

#1 Brad l

Brad l

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Anyone know what is going on with the Bowater land the crown bought? It was off limits for vehicles and I thought it was no hunting, can we hunt on it now? I'm don't care if the roads are still closed but I was thinking about taking the gun for a walk before hunting closes down.

#2 still hunter

still hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

The Bowater roads were closed for unauthorized vehicle travel the last few years but not for hunting.They just made it nearly impossible for hunters to acess areas to hunt in.As far as i know you can travel these roads by foot.

#3 beaverbank

beaverbank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBeaver Bank N.S.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

your right still hunter. I called DNR to inquire on the land purchase, if the gates would be open so that the hunting sports people could have vehicle access. I was told the gates would remain closed for the unforseable future. However persons can enter by foot to hunt.

#4 hassaracker

hassaracker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, Nova Scotia

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:28 AM

You could always hunt on it, I have for the last 25 years or so with some Bowaters employees. There are also couple of groups of hunters who ride bicycles in and set up a camp quite a ways inside the gate who are on their own. There has never been any problem with walking in or riding a bike in, although it looks pretty difficult to me. A big part of what makes it such a special place is that there are no ATVs roaring around the roads.

#5 Brad l

Brad l

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the information guys. If I can get the time I'm going to grab the shotgun and go for a walk.

#6 woot

woot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationElmsdale

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

Ya the Atv bullshit is annoying. Not everyone of course but we saw a number of sidebyside hunters this year roaring about. Jump off shoot at something. See if it drops. Then drive away without even scouting the shot out.

And we wonder why farmers dont want us on their land?

Different rant in a different thread. Hope the gates stay shut.
Wanted: More places to hunt and more time to do it.

#7 hassaracker

hassaracker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

Over the years we have seen anything under the sun come from the ATVers up there. I am an ATV owner too, and I can say confidently that a very high percentage of the guys on machines that I have met in the woods off their own property are doing something illegal, either drinking, trespassing or hunting/fishing out of season. It is next to impossible to catch them, only when they crash or kill themselves. Thankfully that kind of behavior is not nearly as commonplace as it used to be. I can show you the exact spots where three people lost their lives up on those roads due to drinking and driving ATVs.

#8 MWO

MWO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

ATVer appear to be taking a bit of a thumping here? A few yahoo's do not brand all with the same title. I saw a guy driving a Toyota Tacoma last fall, shot a partridge out his window, when he saw me he took off. My point, are all Tacoma owners illegal...of course not, neither are all ATV owners.

For clarity. the Old Bowater properties, which now are crown, had their gates open from last May onward. This at least in the Ingram Port area. All vehicles, other the OHV's had permission to enter and go where they pleased. This included active cutting areas. The ATV issue with Bowater was a personal issue that the CEO at the time pursued, I had many many conversations with Bowater through the last 5-6 years and this was mentioned numerous times. I got quite an insight from those that i spoke with. As well the lands were not off limits to all ATVers, it was open to some groups, who used the trail fee registration part of all our registrations to fix/maintain trails on these same land we were not allowed to enter.

This from the mouths of Bowater representatives in Liverpool.

No matter, that now is crown land paid for and owned by the tax payers of this province, you and me.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

#9 hassaracker

hassaracker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

So MWO, you are speaking for the four guys left from the Bowater days?? That's interesting, because I have traveled with one of them for the last 20 years of so and can tell you first hand what he thinks of ATVs on the roads there. In my experience of 25+ years of travelling the Rossignol and Medway areas, there has been a strict no ATV policy and that has been in place since 5 CEOs have come and gone, so it was not a personal issue, but one of liabiliy and concern over forest fires. Since Bowaters folded, the West Brook and Keji gates have remained closed, except for when they have been vandalized and cut open. I can also tell you that cameras at both gates have caught images of.....you guessed it.... ATVers vandalizing the gates. I also know that they finally found and stole at least one of the cameras.

So I don't know who you are talking to in the Liverpool area, but they are not the same guys I know and I have lived here my whole life.....

WebRep

Overall rating

This site has no rating
(not enough votes)

#10 MWO

MWO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

The folks I spoke with were actually at the company in Brooklyn. Not sure about the area that you are speaking about, the area I refer to is off the 103, south shore area, Ingram port, right by the tower. Big Indian lake, Punuke Lake and Five Mile lake area.

I can only tell you what the Company told me, over and over. The reasons, FYI, that were presented to me by them had nothing to do with damage, theft or vandalism. It had everything to do with safety Regarding the trucks meeting ATVs on the roads. However after they open the gates there, that reasoning sort of dissipated.

Still matters not..it is now crown land that you and me paid for.

Most everyone in the province that had any connection to anyone in Bowater had a key to these gates, most Government departments, including DOE also had keys. Bowater land essentially became private domains for some folks who were connected, this even though the tax payers supported Bowater for decades. Not sure why you appear to hate ATVs when you own one. It is not the machine, but rather the person, that is non responsibile when damage occurs.. Sort of like gun control, guns do not kill anyone, people do. Blaming guns for a shooting for example is no different then blaming ATVs for issues.Take care of the individuals doing damage and not the ATV industry as a whole.

To that end, this is a conversation of non importance. Bowater is gone, not a tear shed by this outdoors guy, this land now belongs to the taxpayers of NS.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

#11 still hunter

still hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

I agree MWO its not the 4wheelers that are the problem its the people driving them.I own a ATV and used mine responsably when i hunted on these properties years ago but was still denied access like alot of other hunters were.I hope the govt. will once again open these lands for all hunters.The last few years it was a private hunting area for the select group who had passes to get back there.

#12 Bear River Buck

Bear River Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

Forest Fires, Vandalism, Theft, absolute distruction of the roads.. Pits, mud holes, ditches, bridges...
A poachers paradise...

Gates should be left up and locked! I know not everyone is painted with the same brush, but we ALL know what sort of free for all it would be if the gates were slung open...
The BS stops, when the tailgate drops...

#13 Bear River Buck

Bear River Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

ANYONE has always had access to bowater lands (medway mersey rossignol).... hunt on foot or water boys

#14 Ghostbear

Ghostbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationBridgetown

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Easy for you to say BRB, you can get in when you want. As for me,I used to fish in there all the time with my father and other family members. Then they changed all that in the past few years, if you we found in there by DNR, they wanted to know how you got in and Bowater did not want you in there. As for the walking in and biking in, I really can't see my 83 year old dad doing this. It is too bad because he is a great lover of the outdoors and everything in it and cannot go in there now because of those damn gates. So I say get rid of them and yes, still patrol the land like they do the rest of the province, there are always going to be lawbreakers around but why ruin it for the rest of society. I don't see where you can say anyone has always had access to the Medway end, don't believe it.

#15 Bear River Buck

Bear River Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

Ghostbear lets not even go there...Just because i work in the forestry business does not give me access... the only access i have into there is the same as yours....by foot or by canoe...
My whole family has also been travelling and hunting those woods for DECADES, how did they get in? How did your 83 year old dad get in? Paddled and walked...

2 years ago i rowed my 90 yr old grandfather into big dam lake in kedgi from thomas meadow... anyone who knows that turf knows how long a tour it is...its possible but not easy

How have they not has access to medway GB?? Get out and do it the old fashion way, paddle, walk...= Access....I can gear ya up with a map if ya want
No its not as simple as former bowater employees who get to drive in their whereever they want.... i understand that.. but if they gates get opened say goodbye to the LITTLE piece of wilderness we have left...

Keep your eyes in the mail, just got a questionaire last week about a "community forest".. everyone will wanna slice of that pie

#16 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,757 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

DNR is gonna have to employ a few more people to monitor these roads/areas is all.
It is after all now THEIR responsibility.

#17 NBK16

NBK16

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

DNR is gonna have to employ a few more people to monitor these roads/areas is all.
It is after all now THEIR responsibility.

I wouldn't count on it. I stopped into their office twice in Windsor to report illegal hunting this past deer season and neither time could the conservation officer have time to call me back.

#18 heavyweight

heavyweight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

There are always going to be undesirables everywhere,BRB thats all good and fine but this land is now the people of NS s not any intrest group or thosewith gate access.Should there be rules regarding access to these properties ,perhaps ,I realize that with road useage comes the need for road maintance and patrols by enforcement ,all added costs to struggling budgets .Maybe closing the roads at springtime or such would be a good idea to help cut down on damage,but to leave them closed and inaccessible unless on foot is unreasonable at best,especially when your a few miles in and along comes someone driving who happpens to have a key,wouldnt that make ya smile!lol
Its not the mountains ahead that may deter you from your goals,but merely the grain of sand in your shoe

#19 Bear River Buck

Bear River Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

As most of you know, there is only one CO in anna co and one in Digby co.. There is almost half of each that is unaccessable by vehicle, HW and KPR you both know some of the hoodlums right in YOUR backyard.... Now open up the gates to access all that land by whatever ever means possible... I GUARENTEE that it will be nothing but a blooodbath free for all in their with NO ONE to do anything about it. Beer cans everywhere amd more ^&*$*Y$*$^%#@& Pickeral and bass introduced then you can shake a stick @...

#20 MWO

MWO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

DNR has been patrolling these lands when Bowater owned them, at least the property that I am familiar with. They were regularly out off the 103 in back of Big Indian Lake, Five Mile lake area.
The gates at this particular area were opened last May for the summer/fall period, to the best of my knowledge this was a first. Open to all forms of traffic, with the exception of OHV's.
There also have been hundreds of vehicles in here for many many years. If you had a key you had access, nothing to see a dozen vehicles back there on a weekend day in summer/fall time, this with gates closed on the main entrance. There was a bit of a joke in my neck of the woods regarding DNR back there, some referred to DNR in a couple of offices as being Bowater's private security force.
Now that this becomes "Crown" land there should be no difference, DNR should still patrol, one can assume, just as they do on all other Crown land . As "Crown" land , it is no longer "Private" land and now belongs to all of us taxpayers of the province. Again, only assuming, unless it becomes a designated area, example, a wilderness protected area, it should be no different then any other Crown land area, where we all have access, including OHV's
The area I am familiar with has been cut to death, riddled with hundreds of miles of woods roads and thousands of hecters of cutovers full on rutts and carnage that the forest industry left. Not much in there left that could be classed as a "Special Area", however maybe in other areas this may not be the case and there are spots untouched?
Time will tell however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users