#41 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationSalmon River, Digby county

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:40 PM

GREAT LOOKING MOOSE TOMMY ATT...!!! CONGRATS...!!! Nice to see long time applicants finally get a chance at it...The good memories will last a lifetime...Guaranteed..!!

Monday evening was our traditional Port Wine and Salt Cod Remembrance Dinner for Herb.  

Herb was with us for the first 14 years that we went to the Highlands. Every year he would only prepare one meal: Salt Cod...and it had to be served with Port.

I don't think that anyone took pictures of our toast to him this year...so I'll post a few photos of the last time that Herb prepared this in 2008. We didn't have a moose license that year so this was on our scouting-fishing Summer trip.

Herb at the Stoves...

P7240359.jpg

We try...but somehow it's never as good as when Herb made it...
P7240369.jpg

P7240367.jpg

This is the only picture that we have of this year's Dinner... the left over mash & salt fish always goes for breakfast fish cakes the next morning along with bacon, eggs and home baked beans...

DSCF0553.jpg

This was the breakfast for the team of 5 that would be heading out early Tuesday morning. They left before dawn and brought with them a cooler full of food for the day that Pete and I had prepared for them.

You don't have to have hunted big game animals for many years to realize that no hunt can be duplicated.

That's not to say that repeat hunts can't be just as successful...it's just that they're never the same.

The team was hoping that somehow the events of the previous day would repeat themselves. I suspected that they wouldn't.  But I never would have imagined how different the events of the second day would be...and neither did the licensee and his caller...!!!  

This is how the crew placed themselves when they arrived at the hunting spot.

44d594c7-cf5c-48ce-9cb6-a76491ca1635.jpg

Kenneth would be the shooter at the pond and Chester would be the shooter at the bog.

Allain is the most experienced of our callers and, even though he wasn't going to call, we thought it might be a good idea to have him as a back-up caller with the shooter in case a moose came in from a different direction than expected where Pete couldn't call him in.

Even though Allain never called once, without his advice to the two other callers, there's a good chance that we would have been skunked that day. There's no substitute for experience...!!!

Joey and Peter started calling in much the same way that they had the previous day: A Bull call at the Pond and A Cow call at the bog. It took over an hour before Chester and Allain received a a very loud response. But this time, it didn't come from the pond.

The same bull was back and he was right here:

b4d42de1-3429-48e3-972e-b5672f2c3eaa.jpg

He gave out a couple of responses and that was it. Silence after that....

Hour after hour Joey and Pete kept up the calling but to no avail...No responses at all from any moose...

Allain supected what was going on. He signalled for Pete to come over and sent him with instructions to Joey.

It was less than an hour after this that I got a call from Pete:  "Get the gear together, we've got one." "We're returning to camp and we're going to need a lasso". And then he shut off the set...???!!

Until they arrived back at the basecamp, we didn't have a clue what they had shot...??  who had shot it...?? or why the hell we would need a lasso..??

#42 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:58 PM

Pete, finally sent me links to the videos that he took...some are out of focus and a little shaky...This is the best one... It's only a couple of minutes long...

#43 50 cal

50 cal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Locationwoods

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:17 AM

David G the suspense is killing me

It's almost like being with you

wow Bring it on

Thanks in advance

#44 slinkey

slinkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Congrats tommyAttwod.Happy to see your crews first moose hunt end with succes.

Fine looking bull to i might add. :)

#45 Caleb

Caleb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationBridgewater, Nova Scotia

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

Way to go Tommy, fine looking bull you go there.

David...your killing me with the suspense. I'm gonna have the "view new content" bottom at the top of the page worn out pretty soon...than everyone is going to be mad at me and it will have been all your fault.

If we aren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?

#46 nswhitetail

nswhitetail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationCape Sable Island

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

I took this guy on Oct 9 at 8:30 am on the back side of Cape Smokey. I got picked back in 2004 as well but my brother shot the moose back then, this was my year for payback :P

IMG_0911_zps37bc0812.jpg

IMG_0941_zps6de161ca.png

I'd show the picture but I can't remember how to post one on here ............ any help ?

#47 slinkey

slinkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:04 PM

Awesome bull nswhitetail.

Congrats :)

#48 nswhitetail

nswhitetail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

If anyone ever needs a hand in zone 2, look up a guy named Matthew Smith who lives in Ingonish. He is a great guy and will put you on a moose. He put 3 different people on a bull in the first two weeks of the season, all were harvested and mine was one of them. After getting you back on the moutain 3 km on your ATV, he might walk your butt off, but it is definatly worth every step.

#49 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

WOW...!!  NSwhitetail, That is one Big Moose...!!! Congrats...!!

#50 nswhitetail

nswhitetail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

WOW...!!  NSwhitetail, That is one Big Moose...!!! Congrats...!!

Thank you ............ 19 points with a 42 inch spread and some nice massive hookers

#51 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

Tommy A...that hunt will be burned into your memory banks for all time bud. Congrats!

nswhitetail....that's a beauty man. Well done.

David....were gonna have to call your mini series...." As the BOG Turns"..lol....will your next episode AIR on Sunday or the Holiday??? 

Love the anticipation !!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#52 nswhitetail

nswhitetail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

can you tell that I am happy :P

mymoose_zps32335e30.jpg

#53 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:25 PM

What a great picture nswhitetail...!!! That photo will surely bring back many great memories in years to come...

Now back to............."As the Bog Turns"....... i love it Kev.!!!

By noon on Tuesday, the team was starting to realize that chances of bringing Monday's bull back in were pretty remote. No one had heard him walk in or out in the early morning hours. Unlike Monday, his visit was likely very short lived.

Several times, the previous day, he had looked directly at a strange creature pointing a black box at him. He had walked around the bog and no doubt picked up Peter's scent...and on top of all this, the cow that was calling him was invisible....!! Just too many negative sensory inputs not to have his instincts clue in that something was just not quite right about this place. He wasn't about to invest more time here...

Some of Monday's team believed that they had heard two different cows and one other bull. Around noon, Allain decided that the focus should be on this other bull. He had scared off younger bulls a couple of times in the past by acting like a dominant bull. He knew that if Joey kept up the raucous he was making that this younger bull might be intimidated. So he suggested that Pete and Joey should alternate and stick with cow calls only.

We always try to locate major trails when we scout an area but it's not always easy. There are trails all over the place. This makes it hard to determine where they will come out...

One year, Pete and I were facing the pond and we heard one circling in back of us and head down the right side of the pond. Most ponds and bogs will have trails around the perimeter and minor trails criss-crossing these. You'd need eyes in back of your head to watch all of them...

7d137b5e-3c77-4d1d-8d90-60888f8c481a.jpg

Less than an hour after starting the cow only calls, Kenneth and Joey thought they had heard something in back of them so they turned around facing away from the pond...Joey remembered hearing one there very early on Monday as they had walked in before dawn.

After a few minutes, Joey happen to glance back at the pond and he couldn't believe his eyes...A cow was standing there in the water near the edge of the pond with a bull humping her. He said it was almost laughable...One thing for certain, that bull was distracted...!!! Kenneth didn't have to worry about being seen or heard...!!

This was Kenneth's first ever sighting of moose in the wild. He anchored himself in a hack-m-tack as best he could but he didn't have a good shot...like a true gentleman, he waited for the bull to dismount...but he still didn't have a broadside shot. Joey kept him calm and told him to wait until the bull presented a better shot. They both lifted their rifles as the bull turned...Joey didn't need to shoot. Kenneth hit him in the thick part of the neck and he dropped right there. The cow just stayed there looking around...

I can't see that they would have walked in together...otherwise they would have done their stuff in the woods. The bull must have come in for the call and this cow either heard him or picked up his scent and met him at the pond. One thing for sure, the date was shortlived...!!

P1050937.jpg

DSCF6498.jpg

Luckily, Kenneth didn't have time to get nervous before the shot...but man he was breathing heavy and shaking like a leaf for a good while after...LOL

I'm not going to say how many attempts Peter made before he got to lasso those antlers...but let's just say that he's no cowboy...!!!

P1050940.jpg

We went from 15 points on Monday...

P1050919.jpg

.To 7 points on tuesday...

DSCF0599.jpg

I guess we'll just have to make up the difference on our next hunt....

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE...!!!!

#54 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:36 AM

I just HAVE to...............

The good lord liked THAT particular moose.....to let him go out that way. ;) ...I should be so lucky ^_^  

I was always told ...NEVER shoot a moose "in the hump" !!

Alberta moose....sometimes, they don't know if their comin orrr goin

Sooooo...by all accounts...."HUMP DAY" is Tuesday in Cape Breton !!  ...huh.... :lol:

David...you hit the nail on the head when you said that........ EACH hunt has it's own challenges, good times, and characteristics. That, in part and parcel is what makes up the memories. 

It certainly takes a knack to put the story into words, and the pictures really helps relive the event. You are one helluva story teller sir !! You make sure to take the time to explain and photograph all the little things, and those are what's added up to become the BIG thing.

I felt like I was there snickering with the boys, waiting for the bull to finish.... and then, buggin the pizz outta Pete for being a lousy cowboy  :lol:  :lol:  TOO FUNNY!! 

Another great adventure.  Thankx for posting it here on NSH for all to enjoy.

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#55 PrettySystem

PrettySystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:09 AM

Ok I have been reading this story for days and could not have imagined the end. Awesome!  Thanks for the great account and congrats to the other guys here too :)

#56 Connors

Connors

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn , Hants County

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:17 PM

Zone 4, Season 2 Moose Hunt in Cape Breton.  Been applying for years with no success.   My father has been there for the last two years as a companion hunter, and has been going to the draw in Hawkesbury for the last two years hoping to bring us luck. So what happened this year?  He goes to the draw, presses the button, and picks his own name.  What's the chances of that?  Anyway, enough said, with him having his name drawn, that sets me into the Companion A hunter position.  Yes sir.

With plans made, and my second week of vacation booked in October (another week previously booked for a NFLD moose hunt, up and coming on the 19th), we were ready to hit the mountain to hunt the same area as years previously.  With the ol' man, and another companion hunter headed up a couple of weeks early to do scouting, we were sure we would know where to find the moose come the 7th, of October.  During the two weeks before the season,  the ol' man would call with a report every couple of days of what was seen.  Responce to always to be, lots of sign, but no moose.

So on the 6th of October, the brother-in-law and myself headed up as he was one of the other companion hunters. While heading to the camp area, we pushed a moose up the road for a good 200-300 yards, a good sign!  I had been up there for less then a day and had already seen one moose.  Had the ol' man beat as he had been there for two weeks, and hadn't seen one on hoof. Arrived at the camp and settled in and had lunch, decided to go for a little scouting mission to see where to start in the morning.  Went out for a little drive, and once again, ran into another moose.  This time it was a large bull, however the moose never presented himself forward facing to see how nice the rack really was.  Headed back to the camp area to have supper and to report the sighting to the 4 other hunters in camp.  Everybody talked on where the best place was to start in the morning and it was a concenses that there was good sign, right behind the camp. 

Everyone hit the hay early (8:30pm) in anticipation of the early morning. 4:30am came slower then could imagine as all of us were anxious to get into the woods.  A good breakfast was had by all, and then everyone suited up and hit the woods.  Monday was a beautiful morning in the woods, it was cool, and clear.  A perfect morning to run into a few moose.  I walked through a trail, down to an old choppin, sat for awhile, crossed a brook, and then stumbled upon a bog. However, no moose.  Found some beautiful country, and some excellent spots for moose.  Traveled back to camp for dinner and everyone reported on their morning.  A few were calling and had answers, but nothing showed.  After dinner, everyone decided where to go and off we went.  This time, the ol'man and I decided to tag team the bog I found earlier in the day.  He would do the calling and watch one side, and I would watch the other.  The wind picked up, and sun went under making it a cloudy and noisy afternoon, with no success.  Headed back to camp and cooked up supper (seems like all we did was eat), and then figured out where everyone was going in the morning.  It was decided that everyone was going futher back to the road across the brook to see if we could stir up a moose.

4:30 once again came, and everyone was up and at it.  Day was calling for rain, however the morning was windy, and warm.  Headed out to the area discussed the night before, and  everyone found their sitting positions with one person doing the calling.  Morning was windy and around 10:30am the rain hit, and hit hard.  Headed back to camp at around 11:30 to get dryed out.   After having nobody see or hear anything in the morning, it was discussed and decided to head further down the main road in to a spot that had been previously hunted a few years ago. Arrived at the spot and then everyone set up in different locations to cover the best area.  Rain cleared mid afternoon, and the sun came out making with a perfect afternoon.  But still, no moose spoted or heard.  Everyone headed back to camp trying to figure out where to find a moose.  Lots of sign was being seen, however, no moose.  With everyone wanting to go back their orgional spots Monday morning, I decided to take a walk back the logging road, and then cut back down toward the ol' man to see if I could push anything through.

The morning came, and once again, Breakfast was the start.  Morning was cold (about 4 degrees with frost) and not a hint of wind.  Finally the wind had broke.  Everyone headed out at daylight to sit in their spots, and I started down the road.  Walking 100 yards, stopping, and then listening numerous times.  Squirrels were in abundace, and they were around everytime you stopped, chattering in your ear as to warn everything else in the woods that you were RIGHT there.  Continued down the road, and then out of the silent woods came a *CRACK* to my left hand side.  Sounded like a 8 inch dead fall toppling down, and quickly grabbed my attention.  Stood still for a minute and again, *CRACK*, from the left hand side.   Something was comming and wasn't being careful or taking it's time, as dead falls could be heard dropping one after another.  By this time I was shaking, and chest was pounding (if anyone says this doesn't happen to them, they shouldn't be hunting).  Trying to get a grip, I couldn't stop.   Looked to the ditch along the old woods road, and then found a good spot to lay and get supported.  5 minutes went by, and finally, this bull stepped out at 100 yards, stood broadsite, and did the "slow" head turn towards me "as seen on TV".  Nervous, I picked my shot behind the fore shoulder (lung area) and fired. The bull turned away, took two steps, and then stopped and looked back.  I was sure of my first shot, however I wanted to see this big fella on the ground.  He was now almost fully facing away from me looking back.  Got on one knee and took aim for the back, and squeezed.  This time the .270 flattened him to the ground.

Radio'd the rest of the crew and within' minutes thy were there to help in the work.  Bull was larger then first thought, weighing approx. 900lbs, and having 15 points, and a 42 inch spread.  Definately a hunt to remember with the whole crew!   Now to get ready for the trip to NFLD on the 19th to do it all again.

Just to note:  First shot was a direct hit.  Caught the heart and the lungs, second shot broke the back.  Guess the extra time at the range getting dialed in helped.

IMG-20131009-00005_zpse1cd512c.jpg

IMG-20131009-00007_zps83af7a0e.jpg

#57 slinkey

slinkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

Spending time at the range is always a good thing Connors and the results so it.

Congrats on a great bull.

#58 nswhitetail

nswhitetail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

Great story conners and nice bull, congrats. You are correct, if anyone says they don't shake when the safety is off and a nice bull is in your crosshair, shouldn't be in the woods. When I had the bull I got in my crosshairs, my knees were knocking so bad that that I thought I may fall down lol. Buddy that was with me videoing the whole thing told me that he was shaking just as bad and you could tell when watching the video lol. I have taken quite a few whitetail bucks but I must say that this hunt was pretty much the highlight hunt of my life. I have been picked twice in my life ...................... suppose I can see number three hehe.

#59 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:35 AM

Great stuff, guys. Thanks for posting your experiences.

#60 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:52 AM

Connors....great story man ! I couldn't imagine NOT getting excited when you hear those loud noises going "crack" in the woods..... it IS truly an adrenalin rush !!...and those are pretty amazing esp when you're hunting! Well done bud!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users