Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

Posting for a friend.

Bear foot snares and throwers for sale.

phone Brent at 902-243-3122
When non members do web searches on subjects, some times your opion posted on this site gets noticed, and can give another perspective !

#2 Jonesie

Jonesie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:14 AM

Where abouts is he located? And thank you for your response to my e-mail. I'm going to give fur a fee a call, but maybe your buddy isn't too far away.

#3 Trapper Gary

Trapper Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:03 AM

He is in Pugwash area on the Sunrise trail.
When non members do web searches on subjects, some times your opion posted on this site gets noticed, and can give another perspective !

#4 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

Got a couple that you can borrow as I will not be using this season.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted in my best taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#5 Jonesie

Jonesie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:42 PM

Got a couple that you can borrow as I will not be using this season.

Rasorbackq, I want to thank you for your offer. It's nice to see that there are still some guys out there that are trusting. It means a lot to offer to lend your gear to a guy who you don't know. That being said, I must decline your offer. I bought a couple from Cumbtrapper's friend. Still, I'd rather have purchased a couple and get them stollen/broken than to have borrowed a couple and something happen to them.
thanks again
Kevin

#6 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:38 PM

Thought you said that your going to have the bear all sewn up by 3PM on the first day of season. Never count your chickens until they're hanging in the garage.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted in my best taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#7 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:38 PM

Thought you said that your going to have the bear all sewn up by 3PM on the first day of season. Never count your chickens until they're hanging in the garage.

#8 Jonesie

Jonesie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:11 AM

Ha ha ha, you're right... in my mind, he was hanging in the garage. It's amazing how he changed his pattern during that heat wave. I haven't gotten a single picture during the day since then. Before that, he was there all the time during the day.

#9 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:44 AM

Jonesie' ...
Last season a local bear hunter said he had a bear that came in every night at dark. Every night!!!!!
I bought a snare permit and placed snare. Check that snare for next 30 days not a sniff . Snares may not be the answer to a late night visitor.

Best of luck.

#10 hotwire

hotwire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • LocationAuburn, Kings County, Nova Scotia

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:04 AM

If the bear was comming in every night it should have been an easy catch. What kind of set up did you use and did the bear stop comming in or did it just avoid your snare? Years ago I had a bear that would smash the cubbys side in and take the bait so I went to a blind trail set and got her the next night. She had an old snare on her leg that she either chewed off or it broke away from the swivel so she was some what educated as to a cubby set. She had the worst attitude of any of the bears I have caught. The set location was all torn up all the branches she could reach were broken and chewed the snare and anchor cables were chewed on and she poped her teeth and lunged toward me then woofed and growled at me till I dispatched her with the .22 .
Teach others to enjoy and respect nature.

#11 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

Bear just stopped coming . I built a cubby and it never returned . Someone else may have shot it.

#12 Jonesie

Jonesie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:10 PM

I'm running out of options, so i'll try the snare. I figure it's either that or a big spot light at midnight. :D I'm wondering about how to place the bait. I've not got him trained to go to the steel drum and open up the tabs on the side for it. Should I just mount a bucket on the tree, facing out and put the bait in it so he can walk in and see it, and eat?

#13 hotwire

hotwire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • LocationAuburn, Kings County, Nova Scotia

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:00 PM

I'm running out of options, so i'll try the snare. I figure it's either that or a big spot light at midnight. :D I'm wondering about how to place the bait. I've not got him trained to go to the steel drum and open up the tabs on the side for it. Should I just mount a bucket on the tree, facing out and put the bait in it so he can walk in and see it, and eat?

You could try that but here is how I go about it. Mind you this is with the Aldrich type thrower but it should be similar with any of them. Make it so the bear has to walk where you want him to go by placing brush and limbs in a V shape towards the bait Then narrow it up to just 2 ft wide where the bear has to enter. place your thrower and snare in the center of this narrow spot and place a three inch thick dry branch as a stepping stick about three to four inches out and high from the snare place other dry branches on the ground in a fashon that only leaves the snare trigger as a place to put its foot, place a six or seven inch diamerter piece of moss on the trigger after the trap/snare thrower is well bedded, this makes it look like a moss covered rock and a good spot to place his foot.. Don't forget to take any safety catches off of the thrower and be sure to anchor the snare well. Don't go over borad with the pennig in of the bait just make it so there is only one clear path to get to the bait with out breaking branches as bears don't like to make a lot of noise comming in to eat. Good luck and good trapping.
Teach others to enjoy and respect nature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users