Photo

Will Deer Move In The Rain Or Will They Bed Down?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 whitetail_hunter

whitetail_hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationBrook Village, NS

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:47 AM

Just wondering what you experienced hunters will do if it is raining all day Friday? How long will you sit in the stand if it rains all day? Not too sure if the deer will be moving in the rain.

#2 hunting

hunting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:56 AM

Just wondering what you experienced hunters will do if it is raining all day Friday? How long will you sit in the stand if it rains all day? Not too sure if the deer will be moving in the rain.

First day of the season, I will be there for hours regardless of the weather. I have shot plenty of deer in the driving rain. This morning as I was leaving the house, pouring rain, there was a deer standing in our field.
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in history...with the possible exception of handguns & tequila...

#3 Tokala

Tokala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • LocationCumberland County

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:36 AM

Deer move in the rain, the fog, the snow, the wind. The worst weather is my favorite time to hunt!!! Deer will feed and breed regardless of the weather. I have seen plenty of deer in bad weather and sometimes its dead... but that happens on sunny days too. Go Hunting ;)
"We are a part of nature and not above it" - Grey Owl

#4 supermag

supermag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:55 AM

I find especially in the ruts the rain is usually when you will catch them goin through the hardwoods with their heads down. I find that this is when they are goin and freshening up their ruts. Personally I love hunting in the rain. Seems to be the best of luck for myself.

#5 BowHntr

BowHntr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationLantz, N.S.

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:46 AM

If it is raining hard I will do some walking and maby a little scouting. it's a great time to get around in the woods, without being heard. I have seen many deer out in the rain walking through fields and in the woods.

#6 heavyweight

heavyweight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:26 AM

deer will definately move in the rain,some of my most successful hunts have come when it was just plain miserable out.harvested my buck last year in big wind and rain.although i will alter where i hunt based on the conditions,like the conditions predicted for opening morning you ll find me along an area where the softwood and hardwood meet.
Its not the mountains ahead that may deter you from your goals,but merely the grain of sand in your shoe

#7 NSYakfisher

NSYakfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationValley

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:27 PM

I have shot more deer in the rain than any other weather condition...by far my favorite time to be in the deer woods.... that being said with driving rain like we had here in the valley this am I dont find that good... light rain its game on imo as I find deer do normally bed during heavy rain rainfalls...but before and after look out...I am headed out again right now.... got everything dry from this ams hunt and hoping for big things this afternoon.

#8 Mecheng

Mecheng

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:03 PM

I tell myself that the deer don't move in heavy rain, thats how I justify going back to the camp instead of getting drenched in the tree stand :D Some year I'm going to put a roof on my stand.

#9 Guest_Swamp Buck_*

Guest_Swamp Buck_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:28 PM

Never been a fan of heavy rain or heavy wind for deer hunting. Don’t mind setting in it, I just don’t see much.

After the heavy rain turns to light rain or drizzle its game on. I have shot a lot of deer right after heavy weather. Wished I was setting there right now actually :angry: Usually I set through the heavy stuff if I have a feeling it will clear.

Although there are always exceptions, some deer will be out in driving wind, rain and snow so go figure. If someone could come up with what a deer is really thinking they would be a millionaire LOL.

#10 Phatdaddy

Phatdaddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationChester Basin, Nova Scotia

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:31 PM

I've had about equal success in most weather, providing the temps are cooler. Super high wind and rain have proven to be less successful for me.

I'm prepared for rain this year, built a new hut, should be nice to stay dry and out of the wind.

Posted Image
Looking to have a leather item crafted? Email me kevin @ kpleather .ca (without spaces)

"Don't pass on the first day what you'd shoot on the last"

#11 deerhelper

deerhelper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:02 PM

I will stay in the camp till saturday!!!!

#12 Caleb

Caleb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • LocationBridgewater, Nova Scotia

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:03 PM

Rain or shine, I'll be out. I generally see more movement during rainy weather and find it's a great time to do a little walking without being heard as easily. Now tracking in the rain...that's a whole other story. You can't always have the best of both worlds though.
If we aren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?

#13 Joyrider

Joyrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:54 AM

I never have much luck in the rain, mainly because I am a rain-wimp! :-)

I don't miss many opportunities to hunt, but if the alarm goes off and it's raining - that is the one morning I usually pretend to not hear it. :-)

After reading this, maybe I'll manage to get myself into the woods one of these nice rainy days...

#14 50 cal

50 cal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Locationwoods

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:55 AM

put yourself out there as much as possible
There are definately times when the hunting is better than others but your season will always boil down to a few seconds or minutes when you are in the right place at the right time
You gotta hunt with the attitude that anytime it can happen
after having 30 plus years of hunting enjoyment i wont say i seen it all because that would mean i stopped learning and that will never happen
I will say i got some deer in some situations that i was not expecting it at all but because i was out there it happen
You can't get them if your not out there
A friend of mine was having a tough time last year and the season was just about over and i said i can go thursday but it's going to be hard rain according to the weather
I have a blind that is a great place when the rain is pouring down to stay dry
We crawled in there when it was still dark and we watched the rain pouring hour after hour
We said if this stops before dark we are in buisness if not we can say we tried are best
Well 3:30 it's still raining and my partner is now asleep but 4:00 the rain is letting up and i see the first deer it's a doe
I woke my partner up and said we're in buisness and roughly 4:20 a nice young buck(4 point) came out and he had his meat
Put yourself out in the woods as much as you can

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users