#1 nathan231

nathan231

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationMusquodoboit Valley

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:52 PM

I was wondering what is the lightest .308 ( also 30-06 and .280 Rem ) bullet people have seen in commercial ammo? I also heard about Peter Elliot, anyone know what bullet weights he loads for .308 ( maybe even 30-06 or .280 Rem)?

#2 Spitfire

Spitfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationLunenburg County

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

I was wondering what is the lightest .308 ( also 30-06 and .280 Rem ) bullet people have seen in commercial ammo? I also heard about Peter Elliot, anyone know what bullet weights he loads for .308 ( maybe even 30-06 or .280 Rem)?

The lighest bullets I had researched was a 55 grain slug fired with a sabot, 300 caliber.

#3 Sir William

Sir William

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationWestville

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:20 PM

I think someone loaded a 125gr and Remington still make 55 accelerators I think. But reloading you can go down to 90 grs I believe. I have loaded 100, 110 and 125 grain in 308 and 30-06. The 100 and 90gr are not make for the speed you can get out of the two calibers. The 110 gr Hornady V-Max works great even out of my 300 win. But Peter should be able to load you anything you want.

#4 The Horseman

The Horseman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMilford

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:39 PM

55 grain accelerators with the sabots are pretty quick in a factory load... This is a 3 piece breakaway sabot and while these are fast they are not accurate in long range rounds... Also have never heard of anyone handloading them... I have loaded 100 gr for 308 which is 30 cal... these are just for plinking as they are also not accurate... The problem is that with the 30 cal diameter the bullet gets so short when you get to the light bullets that you can't get any ballistic cooefficient.. The lightest bullet i've tried which has any kind of decent shape to it is a 130 grain flat base form Hornady but there is so little lenght to the buttle that you need to be careful to grip enough of the bullet in the case neck to hold the bullet and then there is not enough bullet length to get out to the lands and help with accuracy... If you are looking for a light coyote round go to a light loaded 150 grain bullet... if you want something superfast in a 30 cal with a super light bullet to shoot in the general direction of the target and hope to hit something jam a crap load of powder behind 100 grain lead roundnose. there is always the option of putting a wad in the case and dropping a 70 grain round ball on top and letting rip... Kind of like john daley hitting a driver at a gofer hole... Yes most of this is kind of tongue in cheek... ALL IN GOOD FUN..... as KEVIN will probably attest to ... the most favourable atribute is accuracy... after that comes speed... then cost...

#5 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,804 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:10 PM

Speed Kills!!!!......but accuracy kills MORE!!!!! ;)
Them accelerators are SH...errrr...I mean "poo-poo"... ;) ..I tried them a couple of times when they first came out.....and the FU....errrr....I mean ....the friggers were allllllll over the target. The tightest group with em was while they were still sitting IN the factory box on the bench!! :lol:
I seen where some of the guys out west are using 110 and 130 TSx's in 30 cal(I think TSX)...I know Speer has some 90's and 100's for the 270....some 110's for the 7mm and 125's for the 30 cals.....for handloaders only tho.
If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users