7 replies to this topic

#1 wingman

wingman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:36 AM

I have a Cooey Model 840 410 Shotgun single shot break down barrel. It is getting harder to find 2 1/2 inch shells and I was wondering if anyone knew for sure if my gun would take a 3" shell. I was told one time to look at the side of the barrel and it would say 2 1/2 to 3".

There is nothing on my barrel.

Any info would be appreciated.

#2 28 gauge

28 gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:54 AM

I have a Cooey Model 840 410 Shotgun single shot break down barrel. It is getting harder to find 2 1/2 inch shells and I was wondering if anyone knew for sure if my gun would take a 3" shell. I was told one time to look at the side of the barrel and it would say 2 1/2 to 3".

To the best of my knowledge all the Model 840 .410 shotguns would shoot either 2 1/2 or 3 inch shells.The chamber length should be marked on the barrel of Model 840 shotguns with the Model number.

Not too long ago I saw .410 2 1/2 inch shotshells for sale at either Canadian Tire or Wal Mart in Bridgewater.

#3 wingman

wingman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:01 PM

To the best of my knowledge all the Model 840 .410 shotguns would shoot either 2 1/2 or 3 inch shells.The chamber length should be marked on the barrel of Model 840 shotguns with the Model number.

Not too long ago I saw .410 2 1/2 inch shotshells for sale at either Canadian Tire or Wal Mart in Bridgewater.

The only mark on the barrel is the proof test statement. I am going to try the 3"

#4 deerman

deerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:38 PM

I was wondering the same thing, I was given one last year and it has no shell size on the barrel either. A buddy of mine has the same gun and he uses 3 inch. So I tried one on the weekend and it worked fine. Plus I shot a few rabbits and grouse with them. No problems. So I'd say go ahead as they worked in mine. The first time I fired 3 inch I tiedstrapped the gun to my rifle and a string to the trigger, just to be safe.

#5 7mmBR

7mmBR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Locationnear Lower Sackville

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:43 PM

According to CFC software listing all the 840's in 410 are 3" chambers. CFC software is not gospel but a good indication.

#6 28 gauge

28 gauge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:46 PM

The only mark on the barrel is the proof test statement. I am going to try the 3"

Sounds like you have one of the earlier Model 840 shotguns with the model number stamped on the receiver.All the information I have ever read on the 840 stated that they would shoot 3 inch shells.No where have I ever saw a listing for one that only fired 2 1/2 inch shells.

Those old Cooey shotguns were great shotguns.Still have a 28 gauge Winchester Cooey Model 84 that I take in the woods from time to time.

#7 wingman

wingman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:54 AM

Sounds like you have one of the earlier Model 840 shotguns with the model number stamped on the receiver.All the information I have ever read on the 840 stated that they would shoot 3 inch shells.No where have I ever saw a listing for one that only fired 2 1/2 inch shells.

Those old Cooey shotguns were great shotguns.Still have a 28 gauge Winchester Cooey Model 84 that I take in the woods from time to time.

Thanks everyone for the info. I am going to try the 3" this afternoon on a little rabbit hunt.

#8 FUNGY

FUNGY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:14 PM

3 in should not fit in all the way in the chamber if it is not chambered for it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users