MWO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:54 PM

Todays CH
http://thechronicleh...pring-bear-hunt

There never has been and there might not ever be a government-sanctioned spring bear hunt in Nova Scotia.

Now that Ontario has announced it will reinstate its spring hunt after 16 years, Nova Scotia is the lone holdout in the country.

Citing an increase in human encounters with bears and the desire to increase tourism, Ontario recently instituted a five-year plan to bring back the hunt.

Ian Avery, head of the Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters, said he’s hoping this province will follow suit in the near future.

“The bear population in Nova Scotia is very healthy; they don’t have a lot of predators,” Avery said during a telephone interview Wednesday.

“There are between 8,000 to 10,000 bears in this province, and across the country the number is over 350,000.”

Avery said Nova Scotia should have a spring bear hunt for the same reasons as Ontario.

“There have been a lot of human encounters with bears, and if you get between a mother and her cubs, there’s trouble. And there are a lot of tourism operators who do well off the spring bear hunt in places like New Brunswick, which is right next door.”

Avery said it would also help the local agriculture industry if bears were culled.

“They suffer a lot of crop damage from bears.”

Despite his feelings, Avery said a spring bear hunt would be a tough sell to government.

“It would be a very steep and long hill to climb. Major changes, like the recent change to allow Sunday hunting for the two Sundays (this fall), take a lot of work.”

Since bears hibernate over the winter months and awaken in spring hungry, weakened and, in the case of females, often with newborn cubs, there are those who question the “sportsmanship” of a hunt in the spring.

“We can’t take a female with cubs at any time,” Avery said.

Some hunters say the lack of fat means a tastier meat, but there are some who can also legally sell bear gallbladders, a highly lucrative organ that can fetch up to $3,000 for those involved with oriental medicine.

According to Natural Resources Department regulations, if a bear is trapped or shot by a licensed hunter, the gallbladder can be removed for sale or export as long as the hunter presents the frozen or dried organ to get an official seal.

No one from the department was available Wednesday for comment.

There never has been and there might not ever be a government-sanctioned spring bear hunt in Nova Scotia.

Now that Ontario has announced it will reinstate its spring hunt after 16 years, Nova Scotia is the lone holdout in the country.

Citing an increase in human encounters with bears and the desire to increase tourism, Ontario recently instituted a five-year plan to bring back the hunt.

Ian Avery, head of the Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters, said he’s hoping this province will follow suit in the near future.

“The bear population in Nova Scotia is very healthy; they don’t have a lot of predators,” Avery said during a telephone interview Wednesday.

“There are between 8,000 to 10,000 bears in this province, and across the country the number is over 350,000.”

Avery said Nova Scotia should have a spring bear hunt for the same reasons as Ontario.

“There have been a lot of human encounters with bears, and if you get between a mother and her cubs, there’s trouble. And there are a lot of tourism operators who do well off the spring bear hunt in places like New Brunswick, which is right next door.”

Avery said it would also help the local agriculture industry if bears were culled.

“They suffer a lot of crop damage from bears.”

Despite his feelings, Avery said a spring bear hunt would be a tough sell to government.

“It would be a very steep and long hill to climb. Major changes, like the recent change to allow Sunday hunting for the two Sundays (this fall), take a lot of work.”

Since bears hibernate over the winter months and awaken in spring hungry, weakened and, in the case of females, often with newborn cubs, there are those who question the “sportsmanship” of a hunt in the spring.

“We can’t take a female with cubs at any time,” Avery said.

Some hunters say the lack of fat means a tastier meat, but there are some who can also legally sell bear gallbladders, a highly lucrative organ that can fetch up to $3,000 for those involved with oriental medicine.

According to Natural Resources Department regulations, if a bear is trapped or shot by a licensed hunter, the gallbladder can be removed for sale or export as long as the hunter presents the frozen or dried organ to get an official seal.

No one from the department was available Wednesday for comment.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

#2 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:53 PM

Be a opportune time to lobby for a Spring hunt.

Bear study in progress through Habitat Stamp, DNR implemented the Human Wildlife Conflict Stamp for deer & bear, we're the last Province to not have a Spring season, opportunity to increase non-resident license sales(bear hunt & fishing combo for non-residents would be attractive), DNR bear hunter success rates stable for last several years, rasorbacks looking for more bear rug work, Feed NS takes bear meat now, etc.

#3 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:19 PM

You got it all wrong, don't ask for a spring bear hunt, ask for a bear cull.

#4 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:35 PM

Be a opportune time to lobby for a Spring hunt.

Bear study in progress through Habitat Stamp, DNR implemented the Human Wildlife Conflict Stamp for deer & bear, we're the last Province to not have a Spring season, opportunity to increase non-resident license sales(bear hunt & fishing combo for non-residents would be attractive), DNR bear hunter success rates stable for last several years, rasorbacks looking for more bear rug work, Feed NS takes bear meat now, etc.

Thanks Gary. better get a bear down as soon as spring allows . Fur is best then  until they rub it all off in some places.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#5 Ian

Ian

NSFAH President

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:46 AM

Nova Scotia spring bear hunt could reduce nuisance bears, group says

Hunting federations says there could be up to 10,000 black bears in the province

CBC News
Posted: Nov 09, 2015 10:39 AM AT| Last Updated: Nov 09, 2015 10:39 AM AT

The Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters says it's time this province considers establishing a spring bear hunt now that Nova Scotia is the only province in Canada without one.

Ian Avery, the federation's president, says there could be as many as 10,000 black bears in the province — a number that could easily sustain a spring hunt.

"We're not looking for carte blanche across the board, May 1, guns a-blazing," Avery said. "We think there's a measured approach to this and it could work."
■Ontario plans to expand spring bear hunt

Ontario was the only other holdout, reinstating the spring bear hunt in a limited pilot project this year and expanding it province-wide for 2016.

Meanwhile, a spokesman from Nova Scotia's Department of Natural Resources agrees this province's population is healthy.

Bob Petrie says that's based on several indicators, including the number of hunters who hunt the bears in the fall.

When hunters get a licence from DNR, they are required to report whether they successfully bagged a bear.

High success rate in autumn

Petrie says the success rate of the fall hunt has remained high for the past number of years, which indicates there are plenty of bears.

Avery believes that's because Nova Scotia creates ideal conditions for bears, with only humans as predators and only one hunt a year.

"We hear about the nuisance complaints and we hear about the bears that have to be destroyed because of their interactions with people and they are steadily on the rise every year," said Avery.

Avery said a spring hunt could also help farmers who see their crops destroyed by hungry bears coming out of hibernation.

"They're looking for a place to go. They come across anything and everything and they'll eat it."

Avery says he's not optimistic his arguments will inspire a change from the government. Nova Scotia has never had a spring bear hunt.

Read (and listen to the interview) on cbc:

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-hunt-1.3310435

#6 Markus

Markus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:13 AM

I've been getting short changed on my "lucritive" gall bladders. Lol. Who's the guy getting $3000? Lol. I need to take to him.

#7 bea

bea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:49 AM

3000$    Ive been throwing away good money lol.

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#8 Joyrider

Joyrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:23 PM

Who buys gall bladders in NS or do you have to ship them?  Do you freeze them?  Dry them?

It's something I've heard about a few times (I've heard bears are killed just for them, is that right?) but do not really know much about.

Thanks!

Rob

#9 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:55 AM

Markus have you  been selling your galls?

There was a guy at the trappers workshop a few years back that was buying them.

There was no market but he was buying and storing until the day came and he would be able to retire.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#10 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 11 November 2015 - 06:05 AM

Do you freeze them?  Dry them?

Rob

Tie them off   dunk in boiling water for 20 sec  air dry  for a couple days .Every day they are air dried your losing money as they get smaller . Then freeze. 

You would think that a large bear  has a large gall and a small bear has a smaller gall. Not the case . I have seen very large galls in small bear and smaller gall in large bears.

Guy I knew in Labrador  dunked his galls  and then made tea from that water.

Then he had a go at his wife as its supposed to be an aphrodisiac :D  He used to get 30 bears a season. :D :D :D

#11 Joyrider

Joyrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • LocationBrookside (Off of the prospect Rd - Halifax area)

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:37 AM

Tie them off   dunk in boiling water for 20 sec  air dry  for a couple days .Every day they are air dried your losing money as they get smaller . Then freeze. 

You would think that a large bear  has a large gall and a small bear has a smaller gall. Not the case . I have seen very large galls in small bear and smaller gall in large bears.

Guy I knew in Labrador  dunked his galls  and then made tea from that water.

Then he had a go at his wife as its supposed to be an aphrodisiac :D  He used to get 30 bears a season. :D :D :D

Ha ha!  It's all about your motivation!  :-)

Thanks for the info!

Rob

#12 Markus

Markus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:59 PM

We got all 8 of our galls sold this year. It was a chore, but I don't like to hold on to them.

#13 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 11 November 2015 - 05:15 PM

How many grams per gall ?

#14 Markus

Markus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:13 PM

They range....Some as light as 16grams, others up 25-30 grams.

#15 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:25 PM

Last time I was ready to send in a gall DNR told me that the smallest buddy was buying was 30 Grams.  My gall was sitting around for months  and it  weighed in at 28gram.  126lber this season. I didn't tie it off tight enough and it burst in the hot water.

My 415 lber It sat on the bench and it leaked all over the place.

Whats a gall tag cost ? It was free at one time.

#16 bea

bea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:38 PM

aside from the gall...did you score the 415 lber? thats a tremendous bear....congrats

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#17 Markus

Markus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:16 PM

Its about $7 for a tag. Not sure why the dnr would say that. Most galls are under 30grams. Sounds like maybe one buyer had a minumum, but there's lots of buyers out there if ya start looking for them.

#18 NSuplander

NSuplander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationAylesford

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:48 AM

How much do you get on average for the gall bladder?

#19 Markus

Markus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:31 PM

No where near $3000 lol!

#20 NSuplander

NSuplander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationAylesford

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:34 AM

Yeah I didn't think that it would be close to that number. Typical media embellishment, though still curious. After getting a taste of my first bear, they will be on my to get list from this point forward. How much on average do you guys get. $50-$200?. Something in that price range would do wonders in recuperating some of the expense of the hunt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users