20 replies to this topic

#1 collgan

collgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:00 PM

Hey All,

Thought I would start a topic following my journey as a gun dog owner.

My father was a big hunter but as things happen myself and my sister was born, his buddies got married and moved away so he stopped hunting but kept his guns. I was born and raised in HRM and was never exposed to hunting due the fact dad gave it up. As a child I was exposed by my parents to the outdoors, science, the environment and especially fishing. Following that early exposure/interest into adulthood I graduated from Dalhousie with a B.Sc. of Environmental Science. I was able to find a job in my field but was moved to the southern end of the province. Mom was after my father to get rid of his guns since they weren't being used and she felt there was no need for them. I saw this as an opportunity as now that I lived in a rural area there wasn't much else to do and mom was looking to get rid of the guns. Through conversation/argument as only a father (giving up his prized possessions) and son can have (with mothers’ intervention of course) the guns finally made the 2 hour trek to my new residence.

The guns arriving couldn't have come at a better time. My wife was diagnosed with cancer in her mid-20's (surgery cleared it for now & hopefully forever). Having been diagnosed so young led us to look at our lifestyle and changes we could make. One of the potential sources was cleaning up our diet so naturally living in a rural area and following my interest we looked into wild game as a healthier meat source. Less GMO's, less chemicals, antibiotics, hormones etc.

The hunting aspect also allowed me to bond and gain new friends in rural NS especially moving here as an outsider from the city. The first year I struggled to bring home the meat so to speak as I was learning. My now best friend was very patient and helpful and introduced me to his GSP and the whole idea of upland bird hunting and hunting over a dog. That poor GSP was frustrated by the end of the season as she worked hard to put us on birds and I couldn’t hit a damn thing. That same friend also introduced me to goose hunting (what a horrible addiction that is).

At the end of that first season my wife and I discussed getting a gun dog then. I absolutley enjoyed working with the dog and was amazed at its abilities. We were both animal lovers we had (and still have 1 pit/lab mix and 2 cats all of which were rescued). We discussed it at length and decided that it probably wasn't the best time as we were trying to have kids, already had the fur family and was dealing with the wifes recovery. I decided to do some research as to what breed of dog I wanted so when the time came I would be ready. My wife’s only requirement was it had to be a bit scruffy; as she always wanted a scruffy looking dog.

Fast forward four years (I was finally able to bag a deer on the 3rd year and this year the 4th year of hunting).  My wife and I after 4 years of marriage and 4 years of trying to have children were told we were not going to be able to have children of our own.  There was the possibility of IVF but that was prohibitively expensive and could lead to some hard choices, and continuing with our current course of action of pumping her (my wife) full of hormones to try and increase her fertility wasnt an option. The hormones that could have caused the cancer in the first place, so we decided to stop all treatments and start the adoption process (it is not the genetics that make the family it is the love, affection, and attention given by each member of the family). The adoption process would take a minimum of 1.5 years before we would be receiving a child into our home.

This fall was when we received the news and began looking into the adoption process. At this point the hunting dog wasn't even a thought; it was tucked away in our brains for the "right" time. This fall my best bud introduced me to a family friend of his. This friend had a 2 year old Deutsch - Drahthaar. Coincidence as this was the breed of dog that my wife and I had chosen as the “right dog for the right time". I wanted this breed of dog because it retrieves ducks and geese just as well as a lab and points just as well as a setter, and I wanted a versatile dog that could do both to maximise my time a field.  I went home and told the wife that I got to hunt over my dream dog and it was amazing. That first day we downed some geese and he retrieved them perfectly; one of the shot birds flew 5o yards or so into a neighbouring grass field and we had trouble locating it but the dog was searching and pointed on it. That day confirmed my desire for this breed as I got to see both sides of it in action.

So on a lark, not really thinking anything of it  I decided I would look on the breed website for Canada and what did I find.....the breed warden for Canada who was located in Kingston, NS had a litter that was going to be whelped that weekend. Against my better judgment (the idea of getting another dog was slowly moving to the forefront of our brains but was still lurking in the shadows) I made contact with George just to inquire about the pups. At the time all the pups were spoken for....that sealed it no new dog. I left it at that, but not even a day or so later I received an e-mail from George stating that there were 11 pups born and he had 8 committed buyers so there were 3 available if I was interested.

It was if the universe had spoken, my wife and I couldn't expand our human family for another 1.5 years at least; I randomly was able to hunt over my breed of choice which got me thinking about a dog again. I looked at the website and it happened that the Breed Warden for Canada located 1.5 hours from my house was having a litter. The pups were spoken for but miraculously she had extra. It was if the universe was telling my wife and I that now was the time to get the dog before we had tiny humans to look after.

My wife and I went to see the 2 day old pups and the moment we walked through the door I knew one was coming home.

Throughout the last couple of months the wife and I have gone to visit the litter and I have had my eye on a particular male. The last visit I expressed my desire for him and George the breeder told me not to do that to myself as I had the 2nd last pick of the males and he may be gone by the time I got to pick. On Sunday we went to pick-out our pup and low and behold guess who was still unclaimed.  So again the universe was in our corner. We committed to our guy and he comes home on Monday Dec 14th 2015. The next couple of days are going to be the longest wait of my life.

So here is my first gun dog ever:

Quake Vom Dan-Son

image_zpsll9xpupl.jpeg

image_zps7juaj8w4.jpeg

image_zps9wtk92p6.jpeg

#2 collgan

collgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:03 PM

If anyone is interested in the breed I would suggest you check out the VDD group Canada website www.vdd-canada.ca/public/index.htm

My breeder George Boyd also has one pup left. His contact info can be found on the website under litter announcments

#3 jwr

jwr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:52 PM

Of all the breeds out there now (and I've had lots of different setters, and Labs) I firmly believe the DD's are the best of the best. Just unbelieveable how they can hunt, point, retrieve, swim, rough terraine or whatever you throw at them they can get the job done. If I was in the market for a new dog it would definately be a DD.

JW :)

SOMETHING TO PONDER:  KEEP THE SUN IN YOUR FACE,, AND ALL YOUR SHADOWS WILL BE BEHIND YOU.....

#4 capebreton rednck

capebreton rednck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMargaree

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:07 PM

Congrats on your new pup. I have two Drahthaars, the youngest is also from George, his last litter. I was in Sunday to see the litter as well and they were all great looking pups. Do you plan on going through the testing? 

#5 collgan

collgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:16 PM

Congrats on your new pup. I have two Drahthaars, the youngest is also from George, his last litter. I was in Sunday to see the litter as well and they were all great looking pups. Do you plan on going through the testing?

Yes, I was attracted to the breed for the versatility of the breed and the whole testing/breed system. I feel I would let my dog down if I didn't take him through as far as I can get him. I am excited and overwhelmed at the same time as this will be the first gun dog I have ever trained.

#6 capebreton rednck

capebreton rednck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMargaree

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:24 PM

Yes, I was attracted to the breed for the versatility of the breed and the whole testing/breed system. I feel I would let my dog down if I didn't take him through as far as I can get him. I am excited and overwhelmed at the same time as this will be the first gun dog I have ever trained.

There is a great group of people involved in the club, the spring test(VJP) is supposed to be very large this year and should be a good time. George is great help with any training questions and always willing to help. There is also the VDD group canada facebook page and Drahthaaraddiction on facebook. The only problem with these dogs are they become addicting, I almost left with that extra pup that George still has lol. 

#7 jwr

jwr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:13 AM

Man !! I gotta quit looking at the pictures of that dog, or I'll be down there wanting to buy one. What a handsome dog! WOW gotta go look at some other threads.

C  YA

JW :unsure:

SOMETHING TO PONDER:  KEEP THE SUN IN YOUR FACE,, AND ALL YOUR SHADOWS WILL BE BEHIND YOU.....

#8 alpo

alpo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:27 AM

Congrats on your new dog. Those pics are cute enough that the wife actually said how could she say no...

#9 collgan

collgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:40 AM

Man !! I gotta quit looking at the pictures of that dog, or I'll be down there wanting to buy one. What a handsome dog! WOW gotta go look at some other threads.
C  YA
JW :unsure:

Congrats on your new dog. Those pics are cute enough that the wife actually said how could she say no...

Thanks guys, there is still one waiting for a furever home

There is a great group of people involved in the club, the spring test(VJP) is supposed to be very large this year and should be a good time. George is great help with any training questions and always willing to help. There is also the VDD group canada facebook page and Drahthaaraddiction on facebook. The only problem with these dogs are they become addicting, I almost left with that extra pup that George still has lol.

My wife and I plan on attending the spring tests to see what it's all about. The VDD group and George have been awesome!

#10 clayduster

clayduster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:03 AM

I have a female from the same litter.  My fourth DD.  My other one is 8 and starting to slow down a bit, so I let George talk me into picking up another pup. Not much sleep the last few nights!     CD

#11 collgan

collgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 11:05 AM

Quake( r ) - wife deciede to add an R to his name - came home last Monday. It has been a week and the little guy is settling in at home.  Saturday night was the first night he went in the crate without crying. The forst couple of days were rough; that little guy has a set of pipes! He sleeps about 4 hours then needs to be let out to go the bathroom; then after the first pee trip he sleeps 2 -3 hour burts at a time until we get up for the day.

Potty training is coming along nicely. He goes to the door about 90% of the time the only accidents we have are my not paying attention or he is so excited from playing that he doesn't make it to the door and pees on his way there.

He is grasping the sit and down commands but his attention span is small as he is a puppy so training sessions are short 5 min at a time. He is UBER food motivated which is great for training.

The older pit/lab mix (Callie) has taken to him quite nicely. At first she was very indifferent with him but in the last couple of days they have begun to play together. She puts him in his place when required. The wife doesn't like this "doggy" discipline too much but understands that Callie needsto be the one to teach Quake doggy manners. 

Quake is fitting in quite nicely to the household, his personality and attitude is starting to show. He is a great little guy and can't wait to see what the future holds.

I will be updating this thread as I go to serve as a training journal and for anyone thats interested.

Calli-Quake1_zpsqagxpvfh.jpg

Calli-Quake_zpshljjieuq.jpg

#12 hairy_one

hairy_one

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationHantsport

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:22 PM

So beautiful.....I'll be following this thread.

Butch

#13 Double gun

Double gun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationGranville Centre NS

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:56 PM

Great little dog, all the best to you and your wife. I may need to add one of these dogs to my pointer/lab

#14 Chesador

Chesador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:09 PM

Not a pointer man myself but that whiskery little face could steal you heart pretty fast !!!!

#15 leftygirl

leftygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:41 PM

Oh he's a beauty! I look forward to reading your updates!

#16 collgan

collgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:18 PM

Quaker has certainly changed our lifestyle and as my wife says "they make puppies cute for a reason!"; I haven't been able to sleep-in past 7am since December 14th.  That being said he sleeps through the night now which is great, he is house broken and has stopped trying to molest the cats. All in all he is fitting into the household quite nicely.

Training is going well. Sit, Stay, Down and Come are all understood, but not heeded 100% of the time. He is still young so gets distracted at times. The give command is great as well. Anytime he puts anything in his mouth he shouldn't i.e socks, shoes etc. we just say "give" and he releases quite easily. He has a habit of just picking things up and bringing them to us, he releases without fuss; i think it is just for the praise and his way of engaging with us.  He will be 4 months old on February 20th.

I brought home a rabbit from one of my hunts about 3 weeks ago and placed it on the ground outside. I let him out of the house and once he found it you swear I had just given him crack! He picked it up immediately and walked around with it in his mouth; the way he was strutting around all proud you'd swear he had shot it. When I took it back he cried and searched around the yard for a good 30 min for it. Anytime I bring home a rabbit he gets to sniff it and put it in his mouth, once I say "give" he releases to hand. So far he has had quite a gentle mouth.

Gun training is great we have moved on to shooting a .22 outside. If I get a reaction from him it is perking his head up to look around and a tail wag.

We go for walks in the woods and I bring the .22 with me and if we stumble across a rabbit and I have a safe shot, i try and get the bunny. So far me and Quaker have gotten 1 like this and have passed on 4 because it wasn't safe. He loves to come along. Everyday he is getting bolder in the woods.

My only two challenges so far is as follows:

- trying to get alone time at the house to train with him. My other dog whines, and cries because she wants to join in when Quaker and I go to a separate room to train. This distracts him and he looses focus.

- burning of the amount of energy he has. Some days he is like a bottomless pit of energy.

Here are some pictures from our rabbit hunt/walk today. Saw 1 bunny but didn't get him.

image_zps8ulextkr.jpeg

image_zpsfokrcvnx.jpeg

image_zpsizwyyu81.jpeg

image_zps0umyo87z.jpeg

#17 collgan

collgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 04:51 PM

Today the wife, another DD owner and myself spent some time at Belle Isle. With the warm weather, light breeze and the symphony from the migrating geese and ducks in the background it was a perfect day for training.

We started out with rabbit drags for my 5 month old Quaker. These rabbit drags (tracking) is a required part of the breed tests that he will face next spring.  We followed the rabbit work with raccoon tracking for Linkin (the other DD). The raccoon work is required testing further down the line. Next we moved onto 20gauge shotgun sensitivity training for Quaker.While my wife held Quaker, I walked about 100 yards out and fired a shot, then moved 10 yards closer if Quaker didn't have a reaction and fired another. We repeated this process until we were about 20 yards away from each other and had to stop because I ran out of shells. Quaker didn't flinch which was great. We will repeat this process for a couple of weeks before I move up to the 12ga. We finished with Linkin teaching Quaker how to swim and do small bumper retrieves. Took Quaker a ton of encouragement and 30 min before he took the plunge; but once he was in he didn't want to stop!

We had a great day and had a lot of positive outcomes!

Linkin%20amp%20Quaker_zps6whpcrdz.jpg

retrieve_zpsk3fpvmr3.jpg

#18 collgan

collgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:34 PM

Just thought I would throw up a quick update.

Quaker will be 8 months old June 20th. Training is coming along. He tracks drags really well, basic obedience is excellent. He is allowed to run off-leash around the yard whenever the wife and I are outside and have no fears of him running of as his recall is excellent. When playing fetch I am able to send him out, call him off mid retrieve to a heel position then send him back out. Water work is excellent, he loves to swim!

Moving forward I am finishing up with my "HALT" command, then moving to the forced retrieve. I expect to be working on the Forced retrieve by the first of July. 

He is full of energy which is great because it has forced me to loose a few pounds by getting him out running so the wife and I can have some time to relax at night,  He is quirky, in the sense that whenever he is excited he has to carry something around in his mouth (shoes, T-shirt, whatever he can get his mouth on). The wife, or I come home and he grabs something in his mouth and carries it around the house so very proudly.  He has also learned that whenever he is mischievous that he can suck up to "Mom" and melt her heart by blinking his big bushy eyebrows and trying to get cuddles. If Only that would work for me! 

Only challenge we have right now is trying to teach him "gentle" when taking treats or food, he likes to try and swallow it all in one bite. 

To close I  thought I would post a picture showing the difference 7 months makes. 

This is Quaker at about 10 weeks with Calie my 4 year old Pit/Lab mix

10%20weeks%20CampQ_zpsycv9jrda.jpg

This is them yesterday

6%20months%20CampQ_zpswrwxrgae.jpg

#19 collgan

collgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:13 AM

I haven't posted in a while, as we have gone through a lot of upheaval in our personal life. 

Quaker has an insane amount of energy and drive.  Which is good and bad, makes me move more or he goes bananas if he is stuck inside. Bad part is he is too damn stubborn for his own good.  

I pushed him a bit to soon as he couldn't/wouldn't sit still in the duck/goose blind.  As fast as I would set out decoys he would retrieve them to hand/heel beautifully. If they were real ducks I would have been ecstatic.  I learned my lesson and worked on discipline a little more and concentrated on goose where I could have him in my blind. 

Our season boils down to this in a nutshell.

Early season goose:

I pushed Quaker to soon and tried to have him stay in his own blind. I realized that was probably a bit much to ask for such a young dog full of energy. After he flared a few flocks by breaking too early and my buddies getting a bit annoyed (although they understood) I placed him in my blind with me.  The next flock that came in we banged a few down and we had a cripple make it over the dyke and into the river. Without question (and never practicing a feathered water retrieve) Quaker was over the dyke in the river and swimming the goose back to us.  It was a little heavy for him so he wasn’t able to bring it up the bank.  But without him that bird would never have been retrieved. The boys forgave his earlier misbehavior and I was a proud papa. 

Woodcock hunting:

First time out for a hunt was after work one evening. It was the first time I was putting his pointing to the test in a real life situation. We were in the woods and we bumped a few. Quaker was just so excited that he was running around and wasn't concentrating.  I decided I would shoot the next bird so he would retrieve and realize what the game was.  He bumped I shot and the bird went down. He hesitated ran over picked it up and brought it back and at that moment it was like a light-bulb went off.  The next few birds he locked up solid enough I could walk in on him. He needed that first bird and the rest was history. 

One day I was out hunting with a buddy. Quaker was doing his thing then all of a sudden he came bounding back to us shaking his head. He had met his first porcupine. We walked back to the truck for a set of pliers (learned my lesson that day to carry a leatherman on my belt). At the truck Quaker sat still while me and my buddy removed the quills from his cheeks, mouth, throat etc.  Quaker sat completely still and let us do our thing. He whimpered a little bit but was excellent.  We moved on from that location to a new spot.  We got out of the truck at the new place, Quaker went into the woods then went on point. I walked up to him and a flap of wings and a cackle and a pheasant shot up over the alders.  Boom and the bird went down. Not even 30 min after being quilled and having them removed, we were able to shoot our first pheasant as a team! 

Pheasant Hunting:

Had a decent season my most memorable day I was with one of my friends; he was the one that actually started me down the DD track, when he mentioned an article he read in a magazine about a versatile dog breed one day when we were talking, the rest is history. We were hunting some cover and I wanted to go one way but Quaker insisted we go a different way. He wasn’t on point but wouldn’t respond to commands (my inexperience in reading my dog). I finally trusted him got a beautiful point and we flushed 4 hens.  Quaker was happy and we moved on. We came back around as we were working the field in a grid pattern  and as Quaker went by a spot close to the 4 hens, he stopped in his tracks turned his head and his nose was basically touching his butt (he was folded in half). It is like he went by the rooster realized his mistake and folded to point to it. He held a beautiful point. We moved in and finally a rooster jumped and my buddy got to shoot his first ever Pheasant.  Due to Quakers work that day my buddy is sold and swears his next dog will be a DD!

Rabbit hunting:

Quaker loves to be in the woods. He would chase the rabbits and yip as he went after them but would only chase them so far. We were building on his rabbit hunting but disaster struck.  We were in the woods and he was out doing his thing and when he came back there was a little bit of blood on the snow whenever he stepped. It wasn't much but enough that the wife decided that we should turn around and take him home so we could look at it better. I am glad she decided on this! When we got back to the SUV to take a better look and he stood still,  I have never seen so much blood in my life.  He cut the back of his leg (wrist) and almost cut the pad on his foot off.  I could stick my finger in the pad of his foot! We ended up going to animal emergency on a Sunday, almost 10 stitches later I had a dog that was on bedrest and had a bandage foot. Even after the stitches it bled so bad we had to go to the emergency clinic 3 times that Sunday to have the bandages changed.  This happened late January and as of this week he is  finally able to go on leash walks.  Those weeks were horrible as he had to be confined to his crate 24/7. Anytime we went outside he had to have a plastic IV bag booty which was joy to put on and my other dog was a right ole "B*@&*" to him. When he is healthy she is fairly lazy and doesn't want to play. Well since he was on a leash, to pee she would start at one side of the yard and run as fast she could and zoom right by him brushing his cone of shame...almost in a 'HAHAHA your stuck and I am free" teasing him (imagine the scene from topgun when maverick buzzes the tower). He of course would go bezerk and act like a fish on the the end of his leash thrashing around.  It was great sport for her. 

This tried my wife's patience as we had "poop-gate"one day.  Quaker was out with his plastic booty having a dump Calli does the flyby so Quaker reacts and steps with the plastic booty in his pile of doo and at the same time twists my wife up in the leash and she falls to the ground. Well she is none too happy and marches Mr. Man inside the house. As she is brushing herself off in the laundry-room MR.Man somehow slips the leash and runs through the house with his **** booty still on. Of course he is free now with the wife chasing him so it is a great game. She is yelling and he is running all over the place and jumping on the furniture with his **** sock and she finally gets him and throws him in the crate.  She had to scrub the little poo "bingo dabber"marks all over the house. She calls me at work to exlain what happened and I am in tears with laughter. As you can imagine it was a chilly night at home that night!

He is on the Mend now but with all the snow this will be then end of the season. 

Training:

Took a bit of a hit because in October the wife and I had to move for my job.  We put the house up on the market in Rural NS and expected to have some time to de-clutter the house so didn't attack it too hard.  We went away in a trip and received an offer, by the time we got back from the trip we had to close in 5 days.  So not knowing how long it would be before another offer on the house we took it. Closed in 5 days all of our stuff was put in storage and I lived with the In-Laws for 3 months.  The new house we bought required extensive renovations so we have been living through that and we havent had much training time. Quker has developed some bad habits but overall we are doing well as a team. I have all summer to work on some training!

I thought I would just put an update out there for anyone who was interested. 

In closing I am now living in HRM and do not have many hunting friends in the area. If anyone is looking for a partner feel free to PM me. I will shoot just about anything I can.

14690901_10157709813765061_3375147385915

14717200_10157709815265061_5682158631385

16265534_10158222863795061_7762048335242

#20 outdoor addict

outdoor addict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Locationhubbards

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:10 PM

Poo gate...... I was laughing my ass off reading that. The last pic is great he doesn't look happy with the cone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users