29 replies to this topic

#21 itsakeeper

itsakeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:17 PM

Most "snare" wire is now 22ga even though it should be 20ga or bigger. I had several break last year and they were new 20ga wire that wasn't marked snare wire. I switched to picture hanging wire and its 18ga. Maybe its cheap chinese or somewhere else wire coming in these days

#22 linnie

linnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:06 PM

Saw some "snare" wire at Canadian Tire on the weekend, one was 22 gauge and one was 20. Shouldn't even be allowed to sell 22 gauge IMO, just to light. That being said you can buy crappy 20 gauge but at least it is a supposed to be stronger 

Don't bite the hand that feeds you

#23 heavyweight

heavyweight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:57 AM

kinks and cold weather bad combination ,always give em a little tree pull gives them a nice round circle to catch and takes out the kinks.

Its not the mountains ahead that may deter you from your goals,but merely the grain of sand in your shoe

#24 C4T

C4T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • LocationMiddleton

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:20 PM

The regulations under the Wildlife Act state:

Snowshoe hare

10   (1)    No person shall set any snare for snowshoe hare made of material other than wire commonly known as rabbit wire, not lighter than 20 gauge.

(2)    No person shall use a body gripping trap or leg hold trap to take, hunt or kill or attempt to take, hunt or kill snowshoe hare.

So, I leave it up to the members of this site to determine what is "material other than wire commonly known as rabbit wire". bit I would say picture frame wire is not commonly know as rabbit wire.

I do not think this made it to the Handbook.  The Handbook does specify what is needed for squirrel and weasel.

Another poorly worded section of the regulations.

John

If a person used a stronger more humanly snare wire, with less breakage and explained it to his Dnr CO that with good discretion they would be allowed. As long as snares were made the correct size and not large enough to catch a dog. Years ago I came across snares made of fine steel, but way to large for rabbit like 4x4 in. loop, the guy was Asian attending to COGS and didn't have a clue on setting snares properly. Since I was running beagles in the area, I tripped them.   

#25 hunterick

hunterick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMiddleton Nona Scotia

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:14 AM

You are right, snare wire is not picture and the person who suggested it should know better being a trapper and close to DNR.

#26 KC1751

KC1751

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:52 PM

When I snare the barrens I always run the risk of great horned owls; they can sometimes break snares and leave little track

#27 gregger

gregger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationHFX

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:28 PM

Most often in my experience it's the issue of the anchor point not having enough give. The more it works like a fishing rod, the better. 5/8 inch alder/willow/etc. is ideal IMO

Another trick to minimize how much flight the rabbit has, is to put a few branches over the point where they run through - like 10" high, give or take. Chances are good that they'll jump around and get hung up over them, and then will not be able to get the proper footing to put up a good fight.

Often we do this anyway to force their heads down into the snare - the trick here is to use something sturdy enough that it will bear their weight and hold them up. This also keeps them from freezing to the ground, and probably kills them a lot faster. It basically has a spring-trap effect (it hangs the rabbit) without having to go to all the trouble of setting up a spring trap.

Some sort of tip-up/spring type snare set is your best bet, but they take much longer to set than a standard snare. I'm also not sure if they are legal.

#28 First Nation HUNTER

First Nation HUNTER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationNB

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:36 PM

All I ever used was regular old brass snare wire growing up...

Just always made sure to get the kinks out of it..

"If they run, they'll just die tired"

browning_sig-exp_zpsa59d45fb.png

- Browning BLR PG, .300wsm
- Savage Model 111, .270win
- Savage Model 11, .243
- My trusty 1958 Winchester model 12, 12ga
- Limbsaver dz30, Easton FMJ and a muzzy

#29 Clearcut

Clearcut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

European rabbit snares have the loop made of wire and the tie off cord . The cord I suspose does not link and break .

As we have a growing Marten population it's soon going to be time to introduce the rabbit snare that's desiged to let martin go. Quite if bit if work has been done on this in Newfoundland.

#30 stef&tiny

stef&tiny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationGreenwood, NS

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:16 PM

each time i install snares, i always make sure that nobody can't find my snares. Also, i never take the small size of wire. I know that the more you bend it on both sides, the weaker it gets and it breaks in 2. Then the rabit is gone frr but will die somewhere else. I prefer to have a frozen rabit than a free rabit dieing one.

A dad and his 15-year-old boy

Support our Troops, ADSUM!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users