Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Canadian Shooting Sports Association

1K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  3macs1 
#1 ·
COMMENTARY - CSSA

February 05, 2016

Strangeness on the Firearms Front

Senator Céline Hervieux-Payette (L) has again taken the role of attack dog on the firearms file. While not unexpected, it is a little perplexing in relation to other events in the last few weeks.

Incensed by the fact that licenses for restricted firearms (primarily handguns) have jumped more than 75% since 2010, Senator Hervieux-Payette has renewed her call to ban all firearms except for those deemed "acceptable" for hunting.

While English-speaking media refuse to report on it, CBC's Quebec wing (http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/quebec/2016/01/26/001-armes-restreinte-canada-popularite.shtml) is happy to report that the Senator's plan to ban all firearms is moving forward.

Along with banning all firearms, her plan would also have all firearms stored in central repositories - not in individual homes.

Not to open the debate in the commentary, but would this measure ensure less home invasions since criminals will now have a one-stop shop for all their gun-theft needs or would they guarantee more home invasions with the knowledge that their victims are helpless? Inquiring minds need to know.

Senator Hervieux-Payette hates guns, including those in the hands of trained RCMP officers guarding Parliament Hill:"Every time I enter the Senate Chamber, I see two armed police officers at the door, one with a handgun and one with an automatic firearm. I must admit that this does not make me feel safe. On the contrary, I am frightened by the thought that a police officer armed with an automatic weapon could shoot it on the Hill."

She then attacked the very notion of private firearm ownership, decreeing that a Liberal government would ban all firearms except those deemed "acceptable" for hunting purposes.

She proposed to do the following:

· Prohibit all firearms in Canada except hunting firearms;

· limit the definition of hunting firearms to the arms that are really used for the purposes of hunting;

· limit the transport of circumscribed firearms to transporters, thus controlling the movement of firearms in Canada.

That means banning all guns except the few she would "allow" hunters to possess. Of course, the criteria for which guns she finds acceptable for hunting remain thoroughly and purposefully unclear.

Not only would she ban all firearms but also hunting rifles and shotguns. If you are a target shooter, you would no longer be permitted to drive to the shooting range with your firearms. You would be forced to use an authorized (official Star Trek) "transporter" instead.

We couldn't make this stuff up. Apparently the good senator has already met the "phazer on stun."

To add to the week's craziness, the RCMP has declared classifications for two new-to-Canada firearms. For years the erstwhile technicians in the Firearms Lab have been burning the midnight oil to categorize two firearms, the Akdal MKA 1919 and the Norinco Type 81.

The Akdal MKA 1919 is a 5-shot self-loading 12-gauge shotgun manufactured in Turkey. It looks somewhat like an AR-15 but of course, being a shotgun, it functions very little like the older Armalite rifle. All the controls on the shotgun are in the same place as the AR-15 rifle making the Akdal very useful in 3-gun competition.

The Norinco Type 81 is a civilian 7.62x39mm self-loader based on a Chinese military rifle. Like most Com-bloc rifles, there is a resemblance to the AK although the rifle has far more in common with the ubiquitous SKS rifle. It looks pretty racy though and, of course, less than a year ago the Firearms Lab declared a blowback .22 (the Mossberg Blaze 47) to be an AK-47 variant because the Mitchell Arms AK-22 (another blowback .22) was also an AK-47 variant.

Excedrin please!

And the verdict is (drum roll here): Both firearms have been declared non-restricted.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks Ian for sharing. Value of my cooeys just went to $500 each :) since that is all that will be left as approved hunting guns if these dudes get their way and with Justin anything is possible

What did I say last week on the lead debate something like here we are arguing in NS what type of bullets we will be using in our firearms while the rest of canada is getting ready for the fight of our lives to even have firearms

Then wonder why I think this province is so backward

Cheers

#3 ·
In response to her public display of ignorance and stupidity and in keeping with the traditional cultural diversity, mocking her heritage, "off with her head!" People with such limited understanding and unfounded fear of that which they do not understand and refuse to comprehend should never be placed or allowed to serve in such positions of public trust. I truly believe that given all the facts and the opportunity to discuss relevant facts in an open, educational debate, that most rational citizens would accept the facts and respond in a sensible manner. In order to take away any privileges that we enjoy as responsible legitimate hunters and shooters there must be rational substantiated proof provided by those in opposition, not just some ill conceived, fear mongering propaganda, uttered by someone who has neither the heritage, or background to support the fear of that which she is so afraid of, "The gun toting Boogie Man. " rant out

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
In response to her public display of ignorance and stupidity and in keeping with the traditional cultural diversity, mocking her heritage, "off with her head!" People with such limited understanding and unfounded fear of that which they do not understand and refuse to comprehend should never be placed or allowed to serve in such positions of public trust. I truly believe that given all the facts and the opportunity to discuss relevant facts in an open, educational debate, that most rational citizens would accept the facts and respond in a sensible manner. In order to take away any privileges that we enjoy as responsible legitimate hunters and shooters there must be rational substantiated proof provided by those in opposition, not just some ill conceived, fear mongering propaganda, uttered by someone who has neither the heritage, or background to support the fear of that which she is so afraid of, "The gun toting Boogie Man. " rant out
Normally I would agree with you except for one thing and it's the Province of Quebec factor and when did facts ever matter to them

All it will take is one of the larger provinces like Quebec to get the ball rolling and here we go again

Me I will be shocked if they don't get another LGR there while Justin is in power as a bare min

Cheers

#5 ·
Normally I would agree with you except for one thing and it's the Province of Quebec factor and when did facts ever matter to them

All it will take is one of the larger provinces like Quebec to get the ball rolling and here we go again

Me I will be shocked if they don't get another LGR there while Justin is in power as a bare min

Cheers
I don't really expect that will happen, when this took place previously, we had no idea of the cost and effect that it would have today unfortunately, we now have the proof of exactly how overly expensive and how ineffective it was/would be. I'm sure that even the staunchest of anti's would have to concede that there is prolly better ill conceived ideas and projects to waste tax dollars on.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I don't really expect that will happen, when this took place previously, we had no idea of the cost and effect that it would have today unfortunately, we now have the proof of exactly how overly expensive and how ineffective it was/would be. I'm sure that even the staunchest of anti's would have to concede that there is prolly better ill conceived ideas and projects to waste tax dollars on.
Here is the difference this time from what we have been reading. The LGR failed for one reason cost. Many firearm owners beat their chests thinking we won some big battle which IMO was not really true

Remember when it first started we had to pay like 25 bucks to do a transfer etc

Many say and I agree if the LGR had of been modeled right with the correct user fees it would have supported itself and I believe that

Even to the point of a charge to even call and have a potential buyers Pal checked before we sell a gun and a fee each time we transfer one

Back to the plastic cards we got when it first went into place one for every firearm we have with a 5 year expiry and a fee to keep the possession active. Some thing like they do with us for vehicle permits

Both are registered items so it would be a easy implementation

We think it was not effective but many law enforcement would love to have it back

Time will tell. Lets just say I did not burn any of my cards or papers as some did since there may come a day heaven forbid they will be needed again and they will charge us to getting them back

Quebec just won't leave it die

Cheers

#8 ·
#10 ·
Quebec has said for a long time now that they will bring in their own LGR for the Province of Quebec.This would be a registry by the Province of Quebec, for firearms in the Province of Quebec and not have anything to do with the Federal government.The Federal government and the Province of Nova Scotia have both said they have no interest in a LGR.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Quebec has said for a long time now that they will bring in their own LGR for the Province of Quebec.This would be a registry by the Province of Quebec, for firearms in the Province of Quebec and not have anything to do with the Federal government.The Federal government and the Province of Nova Scotia have both said they have no interest in a LGR.
Did the liberals say that??? I recall Harper saying it but not Justin and the new boys Cheers

Found this dated dec 29th looks like he may be talking out of both sides of his mouth if you heard something different

One of the federal Liberals' campaign promises in the recent election was to reintroduce a long-gun registry.

Of course they didn't call it a registry. Rather, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau proposed making gun sellers file records of every sale - purchaser's name and personal information, model of gun, serial number and so on.

That's a registry by another name, a registry via the backdoor. But it's still a registry.

#12 ·
that may be true, however the person in question is an active member of the Canadian Senate and the tittle was/is

Strengthening Canadians' Security and Promoting Hunting and Recreational Shooting

... not Quebec

#13 ·
Could be right Mac.I do remember it being said that they would not bring back the long gun registry,but it is possible some other form could be introduced.

I suppose after the shootings in Sask.,something like this was bound to come to the floor of the house.

I wonder how far a private Senator's bill has a chance of going? Most private bills do not seem to get very far.

#15 ·
Could be right Mac.I do remember it being said that they would not bring back the long gun registry,but it is possible some other form could be introduced.

I suppose after the shootings in Sask.,something like this was bound to come to the floor of the house.

I wonder how far a private Senator's bill has a chance of going? Most private bills do not seem to get very far.
Don't know my friend

I just know and some guys would cut the head off me for saying this but IMO if I can get through the next 4 years with no changes just leave the firearm laws the way they are today I would be a happy camper

However I think we change and a fight coming just don't know how big and what impact it will make

take care

#16 ·
Right on Mac.At present I am more concerned about the introduction of a registry in Quebec than I am about the Senator's bill.I have a friend in Quebec and he tells me it does not look good there.He said he is considering selling his firearms before the registry comes into effect in Quebec.There is an on line petition against the Quebec registry.

#20 ·
Did the liberals say that??? I recall Harper saying it but not Justin and the new boys Cheers

Found this dated dec 29th looks like he may be talking out of both sides of his mouth if you heard something different

One of the federal Liberals' campaign promises in the recent election was to reintroduce a long-gun registry.

Of course they didn't call it a registry. Rather, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau proposed making gun sellers file records of every sale - purchaser's name and personal information, model of gun, serial number and so on.

That's a registry by another name, a registry via the backdoor. But it's still a registry.
Go to a gun store and buy a gun..........it and you are registered!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.