#1 mack11

mack11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:38 PM

I am going to use roundup to kill some of the grass around where I plan on planting a food plot next season. Should I use the roundup now or should I apply it after the winter? Or do both

#2 ALW

ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:40 PM

Don't apply it now. Roundup (glyphosate) is taken in through the plant tissue/leaf surface and must be applied during the active growing season. Read your product label and understand the information contained in it, as with all pesticides the label is the law.

#3 dbg

dbg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:04 AM

Certainly not banned, it's sprayed on thousands of acres of crops every year. You do need a license to buy it for commercial use.

#4 MWO

MWO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:11 AM

Round up is not banned. It is available for purchase outside of HRM at many CT stores, including New Minas. It is under lock and key and you are asked what you intend to use it for....No licence required to buy it, at least when it is for domestic use..

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

#5 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:36 AM

I agree with the above posts.....except Dan...(sorry dan). Like said above.....you can buy it very easily at CT or Home Hardware. I have used it this time of year, but just around the house with success. However, for a food plot, I would wait til spring. Plow the soil in the fall,and let it rest next winter, then plant your food plot the following spring.

#6 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:54 PM

I think the pure round up from years ago is banned. What you get at the hardware stores now, is a more mild round up. It will still kill what ever it touches, so be careful.

#7 coxheathhills

coxheathhills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Locationcoxheath

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:12 PM

I am going to use roundup to kill some of the grass around where I plan on planting a food plot next season. Should I use the roundup now or should I apply it after the winter? Or do both

first of june wait 2 weeks work the ground wait 1 week spray again not as much needed this time,prep and plant end of june first of july ,,,takes me 5 weekends to get a plot in. good luck with yours.

#8 they all say d'oh

they all say d'oh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:35 PM

It's regulated by Nova Scotia environment, it can be sprayed to control invasive species as a residential application. If used outside of the allowed uses you can be fined. Different rules apply for agricultural uses I'm sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users