#1 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • LocationMiddle Stewiacke

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:06 PM

Anyone here load up real light rounds in the 308? I'm talking like 110gr varmint rounds, maybe 125. Sierra has a nice 130gr HP, but I mean that's fairly close to 150 and the classic 147gr ball ammo.

Most research just had the same answer from other forums that if you already have a good deer load why bother something lighter. But hey, they're available and there is load data so why not right?
Time to start hunting them coyotes, I think!!!!

#2 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:38 PM

I have loaded the hornady 100 gr short jackets for my Rem 600 . accuracy was about a 2" group at 100yds .

Citori 725 Sporting
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori Lighting 20 ga
A5 ( not your grandpa's A5 )

#3 First Nation HUNTER

First Nation HUNTER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationNB

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:52 AM

If you want some light loads.. get a .243  ;) .. good excuse for a new rifle.. :)

"If they run, they'll just die tired"

browning_sig-exp_zpsa59d45fb.png

- Browning BLR PG, .300wsm
- Savage Model 111, .270win
- Savage Model 11, .243
- My trusty 1958 Winchester model 12, 12ga
- Limbsaver dz30, Easton FMJ and a muzzy

#4 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:04 PM

Ha. This savage 10TR is already my new rifle! Just got it in August.

#5 Sir William

Sir William

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationWestville, Pictou County

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:31 PM

I have loaded 110 V-Max in 30-06 and 300 Win Mag both quite accurate. The 300 could only handle about 15 before it needed a real good cleaning. 3500 fps was almost taking the jackets off them.

#6 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:29 PM

Good to know! In the 308 I shouldn't have to worry about speeds quite THAT high! Once the sales get going around and after Christmas I plan to order a few boxes to try out.

#7 7mmBR

7mmBR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Locationnear Lower Sackville

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:39 PM

I've used the speer Plinkers and Hornady short jacket (designed for 30M1 carbine), and others,  for offhand plinking with suitable accuracy for 200 yd offhand plinking with hunting 308s.  Regular bbls over rev these bullets so those who want extreme accuracy with light 30 cal have gone with 1 in 14" twist.  Benchrest score matches have been won with the 30BR cartridge in 1/14 twist (part of the advantage being fatter bullet easier to touch the target ring line or the centre target dot)

#8 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:46 PM

If I remember correct my Savage 10TR has a 1:10 twist so I don't foresee the most impressive of accuracy. And I also would intend to load them not too fast due to that twist. But if I can get them to put out coyote hunting distance groupings it could be worth doing!

#9 7mmBR

7mmBR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Locationnear Lower Sackville

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:08 PM

I think you might find accuracy acceptable especially if loaded down a bit...here with these short bullets it's often really long jump to the lands, nice to have a real crisp throat for that; I seat them as long as possible with still giving adequate bullet tension.   Sometimes can find 110 varminter or other hollow points  cheap in part boxes at shows

#10 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:14 PM

I think my Savage 10TR had a REAL SHORT chamber so that might help me a lot with this!! I loaded some 168 bthp at the standard 2.800" and they were actually jamming right into the lands! I had to seat them down to 2.792ish to get them to chamber easy. So I'd say it's pretty short throated! Some say that should be returned to Savage but I load all my own 308 so it's easy to account for it.

#11 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

Ordered and received some 110gr Nosler Varmageddon bullets from the x reload Boxing Day sale. They are some mighty nice looking little pills. Loaded 5 sets of 3 last night. Going from Noslers starting data and up in .5gr increments.

Only downside I see is reloading data is very vague for it. Nosler had some data but only one powder matches mine. Hodgdon website only had data for Barnes bullets which I don't think crosses over well due to them being full copper and different lengths because of it.

I could use the data for Hornady 110 vmax I suppose as they have a couple other powders I have.

Even the COL for 110 pills is all over the board. So i took Noslers "as tested" length and seated a little bit longer than it just to start safely.

I will post my range results once I get out!

#12 deertroy1

deertroy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:24 PM

PM me your email address and I'll send you enough data to keep you shooting for awhile.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users