6 replies to this topic

#1 Gotcha

Gotcha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:35 PM

So, I've been bow hunting for three seasons now (no luck yet) and super addicted to it. My big dilemma right now is, do I use a ladder stand or hang on for next season?? I have. Lone wolf Alfa hang on and it's a great stand. The lone wolf has a flip up seat which I think is great to stand up to take a shot and conceal yourself close to the tree. I have a ladder stand which I love for the safety aspect and also the comfort (I do tend to fall asleep sometimes in them). What do you bowhunters out there prefer??

#2 Gotcha

Gotcha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:37 PM

Oh, one other point...I find that in a ladder stand when you stand up to take a shot, your further out from the tree and feel like I'm standing out there like a sore thumb.

#3 harv

harv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:21 AM

I use both ladder and climbing stand prefer the climber though, as far as standing up to shoot try learning to shoot sitting down ,I shoot this way and have had great success with deer and bear  Harv

#4 jwr

jwr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:16 AM

I use both ladder and climbing stand prefer the climber though, as far as standing up to shoot try learning to shoot sitting down ,I shoot this way and have had great success with deer and bear  Harv

X2 Harv.. I was just about to write the very same comments. Just in case i thought I would remind Gotcha to use his safety harness at all times (Which He Probably does) and that way he would (will) feel more secure when standing to shoot. I personally like sitting to shoot because there's less movement and less chance of making a noise. As a helpful suggestion to gotcha ,, I always position my Climbing stand so that when I draw my bow , I'm drawing over the side and not out the front of the stand. Especially if you hunting over bait, just makes it easier to draw and get the shot off is all.

Cheers JW

SOMETHING TO PONDER:  KEEP THE SUN IN YOUR FACE,, AND ALL YOUR SHADOWS WILL BE BEHIND YOU.....

#5 Gotcha

Gotcha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:17 PM

thanks, I never thought about sitting down to shoot....always thought doing this in a stand with a bow would be difficult.  I guess some practise is in order!  For sure, I always wear my HSS while in either stand.

#6 coxheathhills

coxheathhills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Locationcoxheath

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:20 PM

heres a few things i learned over the years,when setting up your tree stand.always try to quarter your stand away from the direction of your shot,this makes for a more comfortable draw.if you shoot right quarter to the right,left quarter left,,,,,if you shoot right hang bow off to the left with riser about shoulder high,,this reduces the movement required to get drawn and on target,,,,,scent controll scent controll scent controll.17 years 17 bears bow only for deer now as well.hang on stands,for me anyway,are the easiest to conceal

#7 Survival.Leroy1989

Survival.Leroy1989

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:44 PM

I usually choose a climbing tree stand and harness for my hunting season
When you shoot a deer from on high, I always interested in safety issues
It would be worse if you go on with a broken leg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users