#1 ALW

ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 17 December 2016 - 05:51 PM

This is a recipe I got from a fella at work. It comes from his father, who raises meat rabbits.

Rabbit Sausage

6 1/2 lbs ground rabbit

2 1/2 T coarse salt

2 1/2 T brown sugar

1 T sage

3/4 T black pepper

3/4 T cayenne pepper

3/4 t ground coriander

Mix ingredient together in a large bowl. Stuff into casing or form into patties.

The recipe as given did not include any form of fat in the grind. I recommend adding 1/3 C olive oil, or another source of fat, to avoid the cooked sausage from being too dry.

#2 coxheathhills

coxheathhills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Locationcoxheath

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:24 PM

you just made me hungry ,im definitly gonna try it

#3 featherweight

featherweight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 08:09 PM

Excellent- thanks ALW. Looking for good use of rabbit. This sounds great!!

#4 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • LocationMiddle Stewiacke

Posted 18 December 2016 - 05:15 PM

Excellent! I had been searching online for a rabbit sausage recipe to try. Now I just need to stop putting them into pies!!! Shot a rabbit and a partridge yesterday and they're currently simmering into pie while I type this.
Time to start hunting them coyotes, I think!!!!

#5 coxheathhills

coxheathhills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Locationcoxheath

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:40 PM

Just had meat pie for supper,beaver,squirrel,rabbit,and partiidge ,,was delicious ,the tender flake crusts are great by the way

#6 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:46 AM

I'm going to try this one tomorrow afternoon. Had to stop giving bunnies away to get enough to try
can i go hunting yet??

#7 ALW

ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:36 AM

How were the rabbit sausages superslickie? As tasty as they sound? Did you add some form of fat to keep them moist, or just like the recipe?

#8 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:38 AM

Didn't get to make them yet. Was going to get it done after the bunny hunt Sat but it was too cold to think about it. Then as usual, I got busy and forgot.
It'll happen just not sure when.
Not like the bunnies in the freezer are going anywhere.
I'd thought about adding some ground pork to the mix , about a pound. I've got about 35lbs I did up when I butchered my pig so I know that it's not too fatty.
can i go hunting yet??

#9 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:23 AM

Made the filling yesterday, 5 bunnies deboned and ground will eat an afternoon!
It's sitting in the fridge waiting for me to make the patties tonight, taste testing tonight too 😁
I'll see if I can get a pic of the finished product as the wife says it looks good and smells better. I can see that if she likes it I'll be doing alot more next time
can i go hunting yet??

#10 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:02 PM

Must be something in the air..... cuz I JUST took out all my freezer bags of deboned rabbit!!! Letting them thaw some then through the grinder!! I have some beef fat trimmed off a roast I plan to add, along with probably a pound or two of cheapo bacon to add some fat. Almost 9 lbs of rabbit meat ready to go!!

#11 ALW

ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:55 PM

Sounds good fellas! Let us know how you like them. I will let buddy at work know, who passed along the recipe. 

Are you making patties or links 1NSH Dave?

#12 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,414 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 24 February 2017 - 06:13 PM

I was watching the girls at Costco yesterday filling sausage casings. Quit a system they got. Cripes it took her 4 or 5 minutes to haul the 40 fathoms of casing out of the big bowl of brine. :P :P

Once she got it all put on the stuffing tube, and started filling it,  wowsers...that stuff just flew out of there like chit through a goose !!!... :lol: :lol:

Then she started putting the finished 40 fathoms of sausages over a hand cranked link cutter / crimper kinda deal. Fast as she could turn the wheel the completed sausages were flying off the other side and onto a S/S table / catcher !

Purty frikken neat to see it all go down !!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#13 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:21 PM

Links all the way here!!! Once I got a pack of actual casings there's been no going back. Made up a whole pork shoulder worth last weekend.

Costco setup is obviously the complete opposite of my method. Haha. Took me literally ALL Sunday afternoon to get one 8lb roast done up. My legs and back were killing me from standing at the counter so long. But my goodness they were some tasty. Made half with store bought bratwurst flavour, and half a honey garlic concoction I made up.

Still trying to decide how I want to flavour my rabbit ones. Too many choices, too little bunnies. Haha

http://thespicysausa...kingrecipes.htm

You guys should all go check this page out. But please put some Saran Wrap on the keyboard before you click it....

#14 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:03 PM

Well I tried one, gave one to toneman, one to Nsuplander.
Everyone loved them and asked for more, wife has yet to try one as I'm saving that for breakfast tomorrow morning.
I'm thinking that I should cook a few extra
can i go hunting yet??

#15 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:04 PM

Well I tried one, gave one to toneman, one to Nsuplander.
Everyone loved them and asked for more, wife has yet to try one as I'm saving that for breakfast tomorrow morning.
I'm thinking that I should cook a few extra
can i go hunting yet??

#16 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:25 PM

Made up my links today. About 10lbs by the time I had the rabbit and 2 packs of super cheap bacon all ground up.

Made a batch with your recipe, light on the cayenne as the wife doesn't like spicy, and used a bit of water to mix all the spices in. Turned out VERY tasty.

Made the remainder with a recipe my mother (from Austria) gave me and it turned out very good too, but rather sweet as it uses nutmeg and cinnamon and brown sugar!!! So after the taste test I added in some extra chili and cayenne and garlic to it, and that fixed it up.

Haven't tried an actual link yet but the test patties, WOW!!! Would NEVER guess it was rabbit. So juicy and tender.

I need to up my snaring game next winter for sure!!

#17 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:35 PM

Wife says that I have to make more, with only a few more days to get bunnies I best have a great aim and a super spot
can i go hunting yet??

#18 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:47 AM

Just for fun I took em out of the freezer and counted them. Made 38 links, and had about a 1lb log too to slice into patties!!! That's a lot of bunny sausages!!!!

#19 ALW

ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:49 PM

That's awesome fellas! I'm glad you enjoyed them. I'll let buddy at work know tomorrow that his dad's recipe was a hit.

The young fella was saying he wanted to run some snares anyway, so it looks like we have a great reason to make it happen next year. I grew bored with eating rabbit years ago, and this sounds like a fantastic alternative to stew, pie and fried or shake & baked.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sausage making, wild game sausage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users