#1 NSuplander

NSuplander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationAylesford

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:32 PM

Just wondering what you experienced houndsmen think are the best scent conditions. I'm making the best attempt to get my 6 year old trained and want to ensure im out on the best days. There are days where he runs them like a pro, and others where he jumps them runs them for a quarter circle and gives up. Superslickie has experienced the frustration of this dog lol. Also when it's just me and the dog he seems to do much better than with other people.

#2 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 18 December 2016 - 04:31 PM

My favorite time to get out is a cold but slightly warming with little to no wind
As you know I always try to get out in the morning so we can get back before dark however some people like the evening.
Guess I just like the idea of getting the hounds home without stumbling around in the dark trying to get them
But the ultimate time to get in the woods with the hounds is anytime you can, the more exposure to bunnies the better the hounds are
can i go hunting yet??

#3 Camokid

Camokid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationHarrietsfield, Nova Scotia

Posted 18 December 2016 - 04:52 PM

Rosie is 1.5yrs old and doesn't get run all year round like some dogs, but I do take her in the woods as much as I am in there. While I find damp mild days excellent, and cold frosty windy days the worst, I can't say for sure what days are best. As stated above, frequency is far better than conditions, for improvement purposes. I had mine in the woods for 8 days straight late deer season back the camp and last Saturday she ran all day in -10 windy conditions and stuck with some rabbits that did 2 or more trips out 400 meters and back, I thought she did excellent in the light fluffy snow for such a cold day.
Shoot now, ask questions later!

#4 CoyoteCaper

CoyoteCaper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 18 December 2016 - 05:08 PM

Damper the better, a rainy day like today the dogs wouldn't stop all day, not fit to be out in tho. If you get a sunny day and the snow surface is warming up is good also. Cold and dry no good for scent. I seen me hunt in the rain and not be able to get out of the woods, fast as I shot one rabbit they were on another......fun tho

Good topic/post

Just my .02 cents, no charge.....

gif-chasse-98.gif

#5 bea

bea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 06:03 PM

damper for sure...

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#6 NSuplander

NSuplander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationAylesford

Posted 20 December 2016 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for the tips guys, got out today for about 5 hours cold and dry with a bit of wind.  Dog had one short chase in 5 hours in a spot polluted with bunnies.  Luckily my buddy managed to hammer 3 that were just hoping away from the dogs bells off in the distant.  I managed to get a shot at one, as I made my way up to grab it it hopped off, dog ended up chasing it and grabbing it by the sound of the screams but then let it go, followed the blood trail until it went cold.  Def not a great day for the dog today lol.

#7 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:32 PM

We were out today and were a sad lot
Boomer couldn't find a good scent and didn't really run, he was caught up in a thicket for 30min before we relocated, again nothing to chase. Moved again and same thing, boomer decided that he wanted to go home at noon and walked beside us as we walked out.
Hopefully things get better next time
can i go hunting yet??

#8 NSuplander

NSuplander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationAylesford

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:58 AM

Misery loves company lol if Boomer had a tough day then I'll consider that one chase a success for Booster, who now has a limp, hopefully its just a sore pad. Hopefully after the holidays you and tony can make it up again. Found an amazing spot prob close to 100 acres completed littered with the little devils.

#9 toneman

toneman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:31 PM

Looking forward to it NSuplander

there is good info on scenting conditions you may want to look at;

www.beaglesunlimted.com/rabbit-hunting/scenting-and-tracking

opinions will vary but there is no substitute for your own experience

sounds like you're spending time out there so eventually you will

know what works best for YOUR dog Booster

Cheers and a Merry Christmas to you and your family.

#10 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:41 PM

Out today to a new spot with tango2 and toneman, things started quick with both hounds howling in short order. Wasn't long before the first one was down. The hounds didn't pause for long before they were going strong again, #2 was down in the next pass. Picked up the next bunny and the chase was on, it crossed the road and I missed, ran around and came back and I missed again but toneman picked it up and saved the day.
The snow started with the wind and ruined scenting for the hounds but they still managed to find another one and run it to me and I made the shot to redeem myself.
Ended the day with 4 bunnies and a few memories, plans to get out again next week.
Nsuplander we are heading your way Sat morning if we can get there. Get the shotty ready for the day
can i go hunting yet??

#11 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,521 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:56 PM

We always found the damper the better for pounding the bunnies...lol
If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#12 NSuplander

NSuplander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationAylesford

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:13 AM

Looking forward to it slickie, the gun is ready but I still can't seem to sort out that crooked barrel, new polymer cast junk lol.  It's been interesting seeing how the dog runs over the last couple months in the different scenting conditions, damp days and even days where it was raining the dog did awesome (well as good as Booster can do) and the days where it was dry and cold was absolutely pointless being out though a few bunnies getting out of the way off the bell were shot.  I wonder if it is good to take advantage of the miserable scenting days to get the dog out and challenge their nose so on a damp day they run even better?

#13 DavidRM

DavidRM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 05:14 AM

try this old trick. stick your bare hand in the snow if the snow sticks your dog is likely to have a great day yea I know you may need to weight a few days to try this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users