#1 ALW

ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:20 AM

The eagle doctor has made the news again as an eagle brought to her from CB dies from lead poisoning. All is not lost however, as NS hunters need only contact the Halifax Wildlife Assoc. to receive their non-toxic lead free ammunition.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...oning-1.3914901

No info on how it was concluded the source of lead was traced back to bullet fragments.     

#2 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:00 AM

And the Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters backs her 100%....great organization they definitely don't represent me or the majority of hunters in this province and I will not be supporting any of their initiatives through money or any other type of support I encourage others to not either.

Bullets that pass completely through game how much lead are they shedding? especially when someone is using a bonded bullet I would say next to nothing.  Also lots of other lead sources in the environment.  Lead on our power grid where they nest, lead weights from fishing eagles like fish more than gut piles.  How many gut piles are eagles finding? ravens and yotes get to gut piles first in my experience even in eagle habitat.

mqdefault.jpgab072989328f3b31f3b5865afa43dd74.jpg

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

F*ck The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#3 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:17 AM

Just googled Halifax wildlife association and the website is down.maybe the server crashed with the requests for the non lead bullets.
I'll try again later today and see what I can get to try, if any
can i go hunting yet??

#4 onthemoney

onthemoney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:17 AM

I'm like a dog with a bone when it comes to many stories printed on the internet or in the news (I want to know the hole story). I see many holes in this 1.

The bird was found in CB dying from lead poisoning (where was it from? did it just happen to fly to where it was found (from main land NS)? was she able to definitively find lead bullets or shrapnel in this bird? where are other the other animals with lead poisoning (crows, raven, coyotes, fox and bobcat - can't forget those hunter that must have lead poisoning to) as a gut pile is large and would be eaten by more than just 1 or 2 Bald Eagles. Heaven forbid that she or someone would actually look into where this possible poisoning happened as it could be from any other sources ( lead battery storage area with rats) cross contamination.

She said the Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunter supports her campaign - I would like to hear that from the Federation and what they actually support (i.e. that her findings of the Eagle do indeed indicate lead poisoning) not that they support all hunters removing lead ammo from hunting. 

Then again maybe they have not commented on if they support her ( he said / she said) - everything you read on the internet is true -Right.

Definitely more information required.

Please keep us posted.

#5 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:28 AM

First thing, the way the HWA organized and conducted their lead free ammo exchange really p*sses me off. Second, I would suggest anyone interested in jumping on the band wagon do some research on the reliability of the currently available lead free ammo.particularly how it performs as velocity drops. If jacketed lead projectiles are banned( and it looks like it's coming) , the woods are going to be full of crippled and dying game imo.like others have said, there are many sources of lead in the environment. I'd be willing to bet the fish the Eagles are eating are the main source of lead ingestion and the fish aren't getting it from sinkers.

#6 Ian

Ian

NSFAH President

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:34 AM

And the Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters backs her 100%....great organization they definitely don't represent me or the majority of hunters in this province and I will not be supporting any of their initiatives through money or any other type of support I encourage others to not either.

Bullets that pass completely through game how much lead are they shedding? especially when someone is using a bonded bullet I would say next to nothing.  Also lots of other lead sources in the environment.  Lead on our power grid where they nest, lead weights from fishing eagles like fish more than gut piles.  How many gut piles are eagles finding? ravens and yotes get to gut piles first in my experience even in eagle habitat.

Right on beaverhunter!

Can you show me where in the CBC article "Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters backs her 100%"..

Mostly the 100% part.......

I would suggest the line as quoted "Her campaign has garnered the support of the Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters, she said." depicts a different thought, but that's just me....

100% does not = garnered....

Splitting hairs... maybe!

................................... but then again - haters gonna hate I guess!

But you are right on one thing - the Federation does not represent the majority of hunters across Nova Scotia.  The Federation does represent concerned sportsmen & women though, who, through a unified, single, strong provincial voice speak for hunters, trappers and anglers to government on matters of wildlife conservation. This role was recognized by the Government of Nova Scotia when they passed Chapter 148 of the Acts of 1930, the act creating the Federation.

As a simple FYI, the Federation is made up from and directed by the Associated Clubs in the province with an estimated 22,500 members and supporters. The Federation will continue to work to ensure the message of hunters, trappers and anglers is heard at all levels of government, even without a majority of hunters involved, but the more involved, the better!

One only needs to scan the various topics on this small forum to see how divided the hunting community is....

#7 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:24 PM

But you are right on one thing - the Federation does not represent the majority of hunters across Nova Scotia.  

Yup represents some special interest group, same as every other special interest group.  They would do a lot better to change and make them more of a representative voice of the hunters of the province.  I bet the Federation would back almost any crazy hunting restriction out there, they are backing non-lead bullets now, bet they would back the ban of semi-auto guns for hunting too if that was in fashion, the mouth piece of the Federation would probably say something to the effect of "any sportsman only needs one shot there is no real reason to have a semi-auto" I have already heard that guy say something similar with regards to restricted firearms.  Federation can get bent like I said I am not funnelling any money or any other support their way and I am going to tell everyone I meet to do the same.

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

#8 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:24 PM

Lead from gut piles...hmmm seems to me that gut piles I have left behind over the years had very little lead in them, as bullet usually recovered in off side under the hide or complete pass through.

Must have been a slow news day for CBC and their liberal leftest way of reporting the news.

Just a thought here but maybe someone representing Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters should set her straight on a few facts.

This person seems to have a subjective opinion that all lead comes from bullets in the environment, I for one would like to see her prove that as it sounds like theory or conjecture to me.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#9 Ian

Ian

NSFAH President

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:14 PM

Yup represents some special interest group, same as every other special interest group.  They would do a lot better to change and make them more of a representative voice of the hunters of the province.  I bet the Federation would back almost any crazy hunting restriction out there, they are backing non-lead bullets now, bet they would back the ban of semi-auto guns for hunting too if that was in fashion, the mouth piece of the Federation would probably say something to the effect of "any sportsman only needs one shot there is no real reason to have a semi-auto" I have already heard that guy say something similar with regards to restricted firearms.  Federation can get bent like I said I am not funnelling any money or any other support their way and I am going to tell everyone I meet to do the same.

Right on beaverhunter!

Again!
You rock..... just about nailed the Federation to a "T"!

Special interest group.....

Crazy hunting restrictions.....

Backing non-lead bullets.........

(according to you) support a ban on semi-auto guns......

While you travel across the province spreading your hate towards fellow hunters, remind your pals to check out the Federation for themselves - www.nsfah.ca

They can find the Federation on Facebook too!

But just for $hits & giggles.....
Who is "that guy" you are referring to, and what did "that guy" say about restricted firearms?

#10 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 29 December 2016 - 05:20 PM

Have no idea what a representive sample of gut piles for the province would be . But maybe the good doctor could purchase some trail cameras . give them out to hunters in known eagle areas .  who would set the camera up on the gut pile . for say 500 cameras how many eagles do ya think you would see be for the crows and coyotes had it cleaned up ?

Citori 725 Sporting
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori Lighting 20 ga
A5 ( not your grandpa's A5 )

#11 ALW

ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 29 December 2016 - 05:40 PM

In the piece it says interested hunters can stop by her clinic, in addition to HWA, to exchange lead for lead-free ammo. I wonder if they do in fact have a stockpile of copper - or whatever - ammo at the wildlife rehab centre? If so maybe some of the folks still waiting on HWA for their free box could get it from the eagle doctor instead.

Also, as noted above gut piles from anything bigger than waterfowl or upland game would be eaten by multiple animals/scavengers and not any single eagle. So where are all the crows, ravens, foxes, coyotes, cats, etc., etc. that should?  also be turning up dying of lead poisoning? Where are the humans suffering the effects from bioaccumulation of lead after a lifetime of eating game shot with lead and consumed in their entirety by hunters and their families?

I'd be very interested to know what percentage of 'free lead' in the environment is attributable to lead hunting ammunition?

I'm not disputing that eagles, and other scavengers/carrion eaters, have the potential to be poisoned by lead. I just question how big a problem this actually is, and how it has been determined that lead bullets are the leading/.only source of lead exposure in the wild. I'd be willing to bet that the eagles getting fed poultry and livestock scraps down in the Valley are ingesting contaminants/additives far more harmful to their health (i.e. antibiotics, etc. added in feed) than free ranging occasional gut pile eating eagles across the province.

Again, as stated above, I think there are some huge holes in the eagle doctors hypothesis on what is killing the eagles and where/how they are being exposed. Holes big enough for even an eagle to fly through with wings fully spanned... or a condor even.

#12 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,096 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:41 PM

I know that poor 3macs is biting his tongue on this one again !!. :rolleyes:...and I'm with him ! <_<

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#13 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationZone 106

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:13 PM

It's good when people read these things with educated scepticism. How else, with anything in life, will you ever find out that the wool is being pulled over your eyes?

A-l-w-a-y-s ask questions.

I don't think it is any secret that I am a sceptic of the validity of all that is being presented in this anti-hunting campaign, so it should come as no surprise that I have issues with this go-around either.

1) 5-6 eagles dying in her care is not unusual?

Really?

I have had friends...some from this site who have attended her presentations...tell me that she is dealing with 1-2 eagles per year...her worst was 4. Where does this 5-6 mortalities come from? She has had about a 50% success rate of recovery, so she is now claiming upwards of 12 eagles per year???

Something is askew with that math.

Birdzilla, which was late December of 2015, was her first bird of that year, as example.

2) I read the link in that article to her interview in PEI.

I was especially interested to read in that link that the ammunition exchange is HER program, and that the education initiative is HERs as well.

I guess the $42,000 that has been filtered her way over the past three years through HWA using NS hunters' monies doesn't even rate a mention.

I remember when the NSFAH voted to fully support (100% or less, eh Ian :rolleyes: ) the HWA's initiative, and during discussions with the then President, I stated that the NSFAH was now simply a rung on HER ladder.

Can ya hear me now??? :lol:  :lol:  :D ROFLMFAO

3) Thank you, Ian, for posting the thread to the electrocuted birds in BC.

It's also no secret that I have a concern that this anti-hunting initiative could actually be hiding a true problem / consideration that is the real culprit.

In that BC article, the last couple of lines, the lady refers to the eagle "babies"...drives me nuts. Call 'em eglets...call 'em chicks...poults...whatever...They ain't babies!! <_<

Me, in my 'wanna be informed' ways, looked up the breeding season of bald eagles...I had always figured it'd be spring...Nope...I was wrong...It's NOW.

Starts in October with the preening and repairs to the nests, and they should be about ready to lay their eggs.

The point here...It has been her contention that it MUST be hunters' bullets because of the timeline involved. Yeah, she has had to fiddle and fart and try to find explanation as to why there are anomalies in her timelines, but her overall proclamation?...is it must be the hunters.

I have often wondered if she has ever approached NS Power about the lead/zinc alloy they used on their power towers for galvanizing.

Thanks to Ian's BC thread...well...now I know that their breeding season and roosting on the power lines is at its peak...and covers the entirety of the timeline she represents...WITHOUT ANOMALY !

I've seen 2 pictures of birds...both were female...females spend the most time on the nest...preparing it, and with the broods. There should be a preponderance of males, who bring the food, if it's an animal / carion based toxant.

Both birds were mature, breeding specimens...not non-breeding juveniles...who don't go to nest.

Hmmmmm...I wonder....??? :huh:

Sumthin ta think about there, eh Jethro!! 

Shoot straight...Shoot honest...Shoot every coyote you see.

#14 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:18 PM

Right on beaverhunter!

Again!
You rock..... just about nailed the Federation to a "T"!

Special interest group.....

Crazy hunting restrictions.....

Backing non-lead bullets.........

(according to you) support a ban on semi-auto guns......

While you travel across the province spreading your hate towards fellow hunters, remind your pals to check out the Federation for themselves - www.nsfah.ca

They can find the Federation on Facebook too!

But just for $hits & giggles.....
Who is "that guy" you are referring to, and what did "that guy" say about restricted firearms?

Tony Rogers but not sure if he is the pres anymore.  Guess you are in that role now got a lot of minds to change including mine.  This whole non-lead ammo business isn't helping.

bad guy.

#15 Clearcut

Clearcut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:09 PM

Tony Rogers but not sure if he is the pres anymore. Guess you are in that role now got a lot of minds to change including mine. This whole non-lead ammo business isn't helping.

You come on a hunting site unsure who the president is making noise ?

Do we actually sell you a licence ?

Correct me if I missed something here .

#16 Ian

Ian

NSFAH President

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:12 PM

Tony Rogers but not sure if he is the pres anymore.  Guess you are in that role now got a lot of minds to change including mine.  This whole non-lead ammo business isn't helping.

Tony was never the President of the Federation, yet he was the Executive Director, a paid (salary) employee for 25-odd years.

Tony has moved on to greener pastures - no longer with the Federation - going on 3 years now I think?....

Me - I am just a volunteer with the Federation.....

#17 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:20 PM

Tony was never the President of the Federation, yet he was the Executive Director, a paid (salary) employee for 25-odd years.

Tony has moved on to greener pastures - no longer with the Federation - going on 3 years now I think?....

Me - I am just a volunteer with the Federation.....

Wednesday February 18, 2015

Halifax Transit director Eddie Robar tells us about the city’s draft of the Moving Forward Together Plan. We discuss plowing with district 13 Councillor for Hammonds Plains – St. Margarets Matt Whitman. Engage Nova Scotia’s Chief Engagement Officer Danny Graham joins us in studio to tell us about his organization and how its involved with the Ivany Report. We discuss Sunday hunting with Tony Rogers from the NS Federation of Anglers and Hunters.

He was still yapping in 2015, so no it hasn't been 3 years.

bad guy.

#18 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:22 PM

You come on a hunting site unsure who the president is making noise ?

Do we actually sell you a licence ?

Correct me if I missed something here .

Is it a pre-requisite to know the president of NSFAH is to post on novascotiahunting.com?

a license for what?

I am missing something from your post.

bad guy.

#19 Clearcut

Clearcut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:27 PM

Is it a pre-requisite to know the president of NSFAH is to post on novascotiahunting.com?

a license for what?

I am missing something from your post.

I'm confused now who you are attacking the president who you don't seem to know who it was or the federation and the board of directors?

Back in May of this year you were also involved with this topic . Have you since them used the opportunity to bring forth resolutions to make corrections ?

#20 Clearcut

Clearcut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:32 PM

If you read the reports if the final submissions to the lead project you will see there unable to full fill the request of 1000 shells. Some one wants them and wants to use them . I'm just thinking some hunters do want the stuff .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users