#1 mack11

mack11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:44 PM

I am posting this as a feeler to see if there is anyone in the Pictou County area who would be interested in getting a chapter for the CWTF going. Wouldnt it be great to have a harvestable turkey population in Nova Scotia. Well lets get together and try. Let me know if your interested I will be speaking with the Director of Operations for the CWTF next week and if anyone has any questions let me know and I will be sure to ask while on the phone.

#2 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:00 PM

Not wishing to derail but is it me or has the whole turkey thing gone silent? Hasn't even been a post in the turkey section since October. Dead issue??

Now back to regular programming lol.

#3 mack11

mack11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:08 PM

I never even noticed the turkey section. Guess if its thats quite this is a better place for this thread.  

#4 onthemoney

onthemoney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:14 AM

Not to rain on your parade but here is some information that I found.

The idea has been raised many times over the last 50 years with a proposal submitted by the Nova Scotia Chapter of the NWTF back in 2001. After much consultation the province has said NO but said they would revisit the issue if new information comes to light. 

I have hunted turkey for the last decade in Ontario and for the time being it's something I will miss.

#5 bea

bea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:38 AM

No its not dead.

The fact that turkey are right on our doorstep in NB has many revisiting the idea. 

I sat in on a meeting where the CWTF met with the MInister just a month or two ago.

But besides that the cwtf is still very active and sponsoring events for kids every year, plus many other conservation minded initiatives.

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#6 onthemoney

onthemoney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:47 AM

Nothing is ever dead as long as some are willing to keep this initiative alive.

Yes turkey's are in NB with quite a few in certain area; but many think the total number of birds there are not sufficient to support a hunt.

When you look at Maine (approximately 70,000 Turkey) and Ontario (approximately 90,000) both with a spring and fall hunt. Then you have NB.

NB hunters were hoping for a hunt in the spring of 2015 or 2016 to my knowledge it has not occurred.

I applaud everyone's efforts in this venture ( nothing ventured - nothing gained) you never know maybe we'll receive an influx of NB birds migrating here.

#7 bea

bea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:04 AM

I suspect NB will have a hunt sooner rather than later.....during the hunt discussions there was an election...a gov change....in simplest forms....everything that was half finished, or rather not in concrete, gets chucked and goes back to ground zero to start the process all over again

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#8 jwr

jwr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:26 PM

So Please excuse my ignorance. What is the acronym  C W T F,     I can only assume the T stands for Turkey and the F for Federation or Fund,

So here's your chance to have a big laugh at me go ahead lololololol :wacko: :blink:

JW

SOMETHING TO PONDER:  KEEP THE SUN IN YOUR FACE,, AND ALL YOUR SHADOWS WILL BE BEHIND YOU.....

#9 bea

bea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:36 PM

Canadian Wild Turkey Federation....

#10 mack11

mack11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:38 PM

http://www.cwtf.ca/

Check them out, looking for people interested around New Glasgow area (Pictou County) to get a chapter going and help us sometime hopefully get a huntable population of turkeys in this province.

#11 jwr

jwr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:56 PM

Thanks Very Much , now I'm that much smarter. lolol

JW :)

SOMETHING TO PONDER:  KEEP THE SUN IN YOUR FACE,, AND ALL YOUR SHADOWS WILL BE BEHIND YOU.....

#12 SpitFlush

SpitFlush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCounty of Kings

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:42 PM

http://www.cwtf.ca/

Check them out, looking for people interested around New Glasgow area (Pictou County) to get a chapter going and help us sometime hopefully get a huntable population of turkeys in this province.

Sorry in advance for this n00bish question. Would the idea be to introduce wild turkey to an area for the purposes of hunting them?

That would be cool, I have always wanted to hunt turkey ever since I saw the "scoot n shoot" commercial a while back. I would not be utilizing a scoot n shoot in my hunt, wouldn't want to be fertilized by mistake, or shot for that matter ;-)

With wild turkey so close already, I can't personally see the harm, but I'm not an expert, just hungry.

#13 Shawn B

Shawn B

NSFAH Fundraising Coordinator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationNew Germany / Union Square (zone 103)

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:50 PM

No, the idea is definitely NOT dead. You are going to start hearing more and more, I am sure of it.

#14 Shawn B

Shawn B

NSFAH Fundraising Coordinator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • LocationNew Germany / Union Square (zone 103)

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

I'm not an expert, just hungry.

Haha! You and me both! Wild Turkey for Thanksgiving 2019?

#15 SpitFlush

SpitFlush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationCounty of Kings

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:45 AM

Haha! You and me both! Wild Turkey for Thanksgiving 2019?

I am agreeable to that! I have worked inside the barns, it'll make a fellow second guess every bite of chicken for a while lol. Nothing like fresh wild meat, avoid all the trash genetic modifying and chemicals antibiotics etc.

#16 bea

bea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:07 PM

for anyone thats interested...come and see whats going on....

pizza_zpsadqa2zyf.jpg

#17 mack11

mack11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:19 PM

Howd the meeting go Bea, I wanted to go but due to work I wasnt able to make it up. 

Anyone interested in joining a chapter around PC????

#18 bea

bea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:22 PM

frig...first meeting Ive missed in a year and a half haha....but it went well I hear.

Have u ever talked to Terry Smith.....he's the driving force in the cwtf ! There's others as well.....but he would be my first contact...I can send u his contact info if u wish

#19 Bendigo

Bendigo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:18 PM

Well bea l guess you didn't meet my buddy,old Danny Boy he went and is supposed to drop in tonight to fill me in.All good news l hope!

#20 mack11

mack11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

Sure Bea that would be great.I was emailing with Steve Nicholson but would take Terrys contact info for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users