#1 mack11

mack11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:05 PM

If someone had a proposal to change the way the moose draw was put on how would someone go about doing it. I have spent a good deal of time researching different tag draws and am in the middle of putting together a proposal for a new lottery and a detailed way of how it works and how it would benefit hunters and still draw in all if not more money then it is now. If anyone knows who to contact or can lead me in a good direction would be appreciated.

#2 MWO

MWO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:46 AM

You might try these two folks....I wish you luck...

peter.macdonald@novascotia.ca....he is the Large Mammal Biologist within the Wildlife Division:

Emma.Vost@novascotia.ca....she works for him....

or you could send it to the Minister himself:

mindnr@novascotia.ca......Mr Hines...

Best of luck.....

PS, whether you are aware or not, none of our Draws, Moose or Deer has the revenue returned to the Department..it goes to the call center operating the draw...

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

#3 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:31 AM

What you have to do Trevor is join a NSFAH affiliated group. You then draw up your proposal and submit it as a motion. If it carries at a club meeting, it goes on from there to the fed. Ian can correct me if I am wrong.
Having approached government about it, I can tell you from experience that the couldn't care less.

#4 MWO

MWO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:05 PM

Yes Nomad, the NSFAH is one avenue that can be utilized for submission for consideration of any issue to DNR. But it is not the only avenue. Any citizen can talk directly to DNR with their thoughts and considerations....Therefore he can submit his thoughts(proposal) directly, should he choose, they will look at them....whether any action happens, who knows? I must say however, I have had some positive responses from DNR in the last while, right from the Minister, Mr. Hines himself, very informative I might add, right down to the Wildlife Division, some great responses. In the case of passed Resolutions from the NSFAH AGM, they (most) sit in limbo, never seeing the light of day at DNR, regardless of having gone through that process. Therefore with your own direct submissions you at least remain in control with responses and your replies, if you deem justified. This rather then through a middle Org, where you loose control of the topic (proposal) and discussions, never knowing what is being said or done regarding that resolution after it leaves you and the table...........Again best of luck Mack11 you have many available tools and options to use to present your thoughts to DNR...Life is great without being pinned down to just one route to communicate..direct or via an Org. It is your choice how you do it.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

#5 Ian

Ian

NSFAH President

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:05 PM

What you have to do Trevor is join a NSFAH affiliated group. You then draw up your proposal and submit it as a motion. If it carries at a club meeting, it goes on from there to the fed. Ian can correct me if I am wrong.
Having approached government about it, I can tell you from experience that the couldn't care less.

The Federation and its Member Clubs would certainly appreciate you joining the Club nearest to you, for sure. The added benefit would be to have the Federation, with the backing of roughly a 22,500 membership, carry your approved proposal onto government for discussions. Government these days tends to be a bit more receptive to larger organizations as opposed to just 1 individual....

Good luck on your ideas though, regardless of how you choose to proceed.

#6 linnie

linnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:47 PM

with the backing of roughly a 22,500 membership,

??

I thought it was more like 6500.

Copied from the NSFAH website

The Federation has been that voice since 1930 and, supported by our affiliated clubs in the province with an estimated 6,500 members and supporters, 

Don't bite the hand that feeds you

#7 Ian

Ian

NSFAH President

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:06 AM

??
I thought it was more like 6500.
Copied from the NSFAH website
The Federation has been that voice since 1930 and, supported by our affiliated clubs in the province with an estimated 6,500 members and supporters, 

The Federation has grown quite substantially!
Based on the Member Clubs and other Affiliates working together within the Federation, we are pushing well over 22,500 members.

But hey, thanks for pointing out the sentence on our website, I will see to it we get it updated by the Annual General Meeting, end of March.
Let me know if you come across any other errors! Some things we can edit pretty quickly, others need to go up the electric ladder to our website host....

#8 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts
  • LocationZone 106

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:04 AM

The Federation has grown quite substantially!
Based on the Member Clubs and other Affiliates working together within the Federation, we are pushing well over 22,500 members.

But hey, thanks for pointing out the sentence on our website, I will see to it we get it updated by the Annual General Meeting, end of March.
Let me know if you come across any other errors! Some things we can edit pretty quickly, others need to go up the electric ladder to our website host....

Wow!!

THAT's impressive!!

22,500 means more than 1/2 of hunters in NS are affiliated!

...or are the "Affiliates" not necessarily Nova Scotia based?

Are they all directly associated with hunting here in Nova Scotia? 

Shoot straight...Shoot honest...Shoot every coyote you see.

#9 Ian

Ian

NSFAH President

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:10 AM

Wow!!
THAT's impressive!!
22,500 means more than 1/2 of hunters in NS are affiliated!

...or are the "Affiliates" not necessarily Nova Scotia based?
Are they all directly associated with hunting here in Nova Scotia?

Federation membership does not require an individual to declare if he or she is a hunter.
Pretty sure we have trappers and anglers in the mix......

Membership details for the Federation are below for those interested.

Note - Family Membership category not included as the Board of Directors are reviewing / re-writing the description.  Will be voted at the AGM.

C5.0 MEMBERSHIP (NSFAH)

The membership of the Federation shall be divided into voting and non-voting members of the classes or types hereinafter provided consisting of Regular, Associate, Individual, Individual Life, Sustaining, Corporate, Honorary Life and Special Life members.
The fee for newly-affiliated clubs will be $150.00 per year.

C5.0.1 Organizations with nineteen (19) or fewer members are not entitled to membership in the Federation.

C5.0.2 The voting membership of the Federation shall consist of the duly appointed:
Directors of the regular branch associations and Directors of affiliated non-branch organizations and Executive committee of the Federation.

C5.0.3 Any branch or affiliated organizations, the dues of which become twelve (12) months in arrears, shall automatically cease to be an affiliate. They may however, rejoin using the terms of membership as outlined in article C5.0.

C5.1Regular Membership

C5.1.1 The regular membership shall consist of:

(A)The officers of the Federation together with the entire membership of Branch Associations.

(b ) Any wildlife, fish and game, or any other organization within the Province, having twenty (20) or more members and having aims similar to those set forth in article C2 and C3 of the constitution, may become affiliated as a Branch Association upon approval by the Executive Committee and payable of affiliation dues as outlined in article C9.0.

C5.2 Associate Membership

C5.2.1 The associate membership shall consist of:
(A)The entire membership of the affiliated non-branch organizations.

(b )Any organization within the Province having twenty (20) or more members and having aims in whole or in part similar to those set forth in article C2 and C3, may become affiliated as a non-branch organization upon approval by the Executive Committee and payment of affiliation dues as outlined in article C9.0.

C5.3 Individual Membership

C5.3.1 The individual membership shall consist of:

(A) Any individual paying such annual fees or dues as may be specified by the Executive Committee from time to time, with the approval of the Board of Directors.

(b )Such individual members shall receive such benefits as are determined from time to time by the Board of Directors.

C5.3.2 Individual members shall have no voting rights or privileges.

C5.4 Individual Life Membership

C5.4.1 An individual life member shall be any individual paying such fees, dues or contributions as may be specified be the Executive Committee, with the approval of the Board of Directors, from time to time, entitling him or her to all the benefits of an individual member for life.

C5.4.2 Individual life members shall have no voting rights or privileges.

C5.5 Sustaining Membership

C5.5.1 A sustaining member shall be any individual member contributing or donating annually to the Federation such sum as may be specified from time to time by the Executive Committee, with the approval of the Board of Directors.

C5.5.2 Sustaining members shall have no voting rights or privileges.

C5.6 Corporate Membership

C5.6.1 A corporate member shall be any corporation paying such fees, dues or contributions as specified from time to time by the Executive Committee, with the approval of the Board of Directors.

C5.6.2 Corporate members shall have no voting rights or privileges.

C5.7 Honorary/Special Life Membership

C5.7.1 An Honorary Life Membership or Special Life Membership may be conferred upon a member by the Board of Directors of the Federation upon the recommendation of the Awards Committee of the Federation or of any two (2) directors of the Federation. An Honorary Life may, by resolution of the Board of Directors of the Federation, be conferred upon an individual not being a member of the Federation or one of its branch or non-branch affiliates, who has, in the opinion of the Board, made an outstanding contribution to the aims and objectives of the Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters.

C5.7.2 Honorary/Special life members shall have no voting rights or privileges.

---------------------------------------------------

C2.0 GOALS

The Federation will be carried on without the purpose of gain to its members and any profits will be used only in promoting its charitable goals and objectives.

C3.0 OBJECTIVES

To enable members to confer together for the interchange of information, with a view to united action in matters relating to the welfare and progress of the province generally, and more particularly, in connection with the conservation and propagation of wildlife and its habitat, and to co-operate with the Canadian Wildlife Federation.

C3.0.1 To foster an understanding of natural process so that people may live in harmony with the land, using and husbanding its renewable natural resources in a manner which maintains its productivity and its beauty for the long term benefit and enrichment of society.

C3.0.2 To encourage provision of ample opportunity for enjoyment of healthful outdoor recreation in all regions of the province.

C3.0.3 To perpetuate stocks of all species of wildlife so that they may be readily available for the use and enjoyment of all people.

C3.0.4 To maintain a substantial program of information and education based on sound ecological principles.

C3.0.5 To conduct or sponsor research or scientific investigations to further these objectives and principles.

C3.0.6 To co-operate fully with organizations having similar objectives and with government agencies whose responsibilities may have a bearing on the achievement of these objectives.

C3.0.7 To educate the public as to the benefits of hunting, trapping and fishing in the conservation and protection of wildlife and its habitat.

C3.0.8 To promote the safe use of firearms for target shooting of all kinds.

C9.0 FINANCE

C9.0.1 Each individual member shall pay an annual fee, the amounts to be determined by the Executive Committee and approved by the Board of Directors, on or before December 31 of each year.

C9.0.2 Each branch association, which is affiliated with the Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters, shall pay an annual fee, as set form time to time by the Board of Directors, on or before December 31 of each year.

C9.0.3 Each non-branch association, affiliated with the Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters, shall pay an annual fee, as set from time to time by the Board of Directors, on or before December 31st of each year.

C9.0.4 Any branch or affiliated organizations, the dues of which become twelve (12) months in arrears, shall automatically cease to be an affiliate. They may however, rejoin using the terms of membership as outlined in article C5.0.

C9.0.5 Any chartered bank, authorized by the Executive Committee may be the banker of the Federation. All monies deposited in the bank shall, when required for the purposes of the Federation, be drawn as authorized by the Board of Directors and/ or the Executive Committee.

C9.0.6 An audited statement of finances, of the Federation, is required to be presented at the annual Meeting by the Treasurer.(Dec 2016)

C9.0.7 Any agreement entered into or proposal submitted by the Nova Scotia
Federation of Anglers and Hunters to a second party shall have the approval of the Executive or Management committee of the Federation if the proposal or agreement has any financial implications for the Federation.

#10 Clearcut

Clearcut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

Yes time to renew my membership.

#11 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts
  • LocationZone 106

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:21 PM

Federation membership does not require an individual to declare if he or she is a hunter.
Pretty sure we have trappers and anglers in the mix......

Okie dokie.

I'm pretty familiar with the requirements... ;)...and trappers and anglers were always considered. 

The NSFAH has gone from just over 3000 members (damn near bankrupt) to apparently over 22,000 in just 4 years. 

Good work?...or good paperwork?... is really my question.

Real people, involved / participating in the hunting community and hunting, trappers, and anglers?...Duplicate memberships from people belonging to more than one club...free 'membership' to some clubs...etc., etc.

You know...'inflationary' tactics.

It's a big number...with minimal revision to the member clubs considered 'affiliate'.

I'm curious how it's derived?

#12 Ian

Ian

NSFAH President

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:15 AM

Okie dokie.
I'm pretty familiar with the requirements... ;)...and trappers and anglers were always considered. 

The NSFAH has gone from just over 3000 members (damn near bankrupt) to apparently over 22,000 in just 4 years. 
Good work?...or good paperwork?... is really my question.
Real people, involved / participating in the hunting community and hunting, trappers, and anglers?...Duplicate memberships from people belonging to more than one club...free 'membership' to some clubs...etc., etc.

You know...'inflationary' tactics.

It's a big number...with minimal revision to the member clubs considered 'affiliate'.
I'm curious how it's derived?

Real people, involved / participating in the hunting community and hunters, trappers, anglers and supporters are what drives the Federation membership.
With the old 'deflationary' tactics in place by some member Clubs ( for decades ) finally a thing of the past, we have a much better handle on the overall #'s under the umbrella of the Federation.

We do expect the number of Member Clubs to climb to 38-40, hopefully more!

#13 Waye Out There

Waye Out There

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts
  • LocationJeddore

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:48 AM

I have to ask Ian, is there any requirement for a club to be a hunting, trapping or fishing clun to be an affiliate club. The last time this came up there seemed to be many more clubs on the outskirts hanging on to the "having aims in whole or in part similar to those set forth in article C2 and C3" than what there were actual hunting, fishing or trapping clubs. I am wondering if this has changed?

The name says Federation of Anglers and Hunters not Federation of groups having aims in whole or in part similar. The public sees it as a Federation of Anglers and Hunters yet in my opinion the membership is mostly made up of "others", groups who's aims are similar but are in fact very much different from that of hunting, trapping  and fishing groups.

#14 Ian

Ian

NSFAH President

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:06 AM

I have to ask Ian, is there any requirement for a club to be a hunting, trapping or fishing clun to be an affiliate club. The last time this came up there seemed to be many more clubs on the outskirts hanging on to the "having aims in whole or in part similar to those set forth in article C2 and C3" than what there were actual hunting, fishing or trapping clubs. I am wondering if this has changed?
The name says Federation of Anglers and Hunters not Federation of groups having aims in whole or in part similar. The public sees it as a Federation of Anglers and Hunters yet in my opinion the membership is mostly made up of "others", groups who's aims are similar but are in fact very much different from that of hunting, trapping  and fishing groups.

The Federation is made up of hunting / fishing / trapping / wildlife organizations from around the province. There are no "other" or fringe organizations within the Federation right now, that I can think of.

There used to be some Clubs join the Federation "for the insurance" but that hasn't happened in 4-5 years now.

We do maintain a list of Clubs on our nsfah.ca website. Any of the clubs on the list seem out of place?

The list will be in a state of flux for the next few months as we do require clubs to submit paperwork each year. Usually by the AGM we have a good handle on the number of returning Clubs.

#15 Waye Out There

Waye Out There

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts
  • LocationJeddore

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

I see a lot of wildlife clubs on that list and it comes with no great surprise that a lot of "wildlife" clubs have an agenda that greatly differs from hunting and fishing clubs. Out of place in name, no, out of place in the federation of anglers and hunters base on some of their apparent agendas , yes.

#16 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts
  • LocationZone 106

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:13 AM

My apologies, mack11...We kind've got off track to your original post, didn't we. :unsure:

Don't be hurried...make sure your proposal is complete and captures / addresses all of the identified shortcomings of the current system.

My suggestion would be to complete your plan as best you can...put it away for a week...then re-assess it.

Be sure to show / discusss it with like-minded, hunting friends with the same concerns, for a constructive critique, and adjust it accordingly. This kind of a 'cold-eyes' review will help to identify pitfalls and shortcomings. If you can grow a really thick skin, you could post it here...but you'll have to wade through a bunch of nonsense to get to the trully constructive inputs. It can be done, though!! :lol:  (or...PM some of the people here and politely ask for their inputs)

Perhaps an 'affiliate' will pick up on your suggestion and progress it through the channels Ian has proposed...although if they know it comes from a non-member, they'll probably boot it no matter how good it is. :(

Forward it to Bob Petrie at the DNR...cc. Peter MacDonald at DNR, your MLA, and Minister Hines.

If it has merit, it should receive consideration. (One of the rumours floating around out there is that this was how muzzleloaders were put into the early season)

It doesn't mean it will be progressed / enacted...but at least it will have been seen.

Good luck... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users