#1 ALW

ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:29 AM

Not sure if I mentioned these two old deer hunting films or not, but if you've never seen them they are worth a watch. Definitely reminds me of my earliest memories of hunting and my grandfathers and father, and the old photos I have from back then.

The Buck Fever film by the Michigan Dept of Conservation is pretty comical, and definitely dated being from 1949. Can't imagine a government dept making such a pro hunting film these days. It is in 3 parts, which will play one after the other:

Michigan Deer Country Rocking Chair Camp is a history of a group of buddies and their annual deer camp starting in 1937 before WWII and extending up into the 1980's (IIRC) and is a very cool look into deer camp life which could just as easily been filmed and taken place in the backwoods of Nova Scotia:

If you are looking for a trip down memory lane, or a glimpse of deer hunting during simpler times... when folks who didn't hunt were looked upon as the oddity... check out the films above. If you know of any similar films online please feel free to share.

I know one thing, I wouldn't want to have to deal with prying the hides off those bucks froze stiff as boards! Made that mistake once, and my hands hurt just thinking about it! LoL Funny watching them stack them up like cordwood though. I believe they have wolves, coyotes, and maybe even wolverine back then? But it doesn't seem like they were worried about anything feeding on their deer as they left them stuck in snowbanks around their hunting spot. 

Enjoy. 

#2 ALW

ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:30 AM

Not sure how I managed to get the actual video windows to display, I only typed in the web addy? Never saw that happen before, but even better! LoL

#3 quack smacker

quack smacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationMusquodoboit Harbour

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

hahahaha  so awesome.

love the red wool check clothes  

#4 Caper391

Caper391

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • LocationGlace Bay

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:42 PM

Brings back memories...very nice.

#5 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:28 PM

hahahaha  so awesome.

love the red wool check clothes  

Me too, bunch of guys on here in the wool thread are trying to bring it back.

mqdefault.jpgab072989328f3b31f3b5865afa43dd74.jpg

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#6 novacam

novacam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationColchester

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:38 PM

I watched some of the Michigan one, guy had plaid pants and jacket! That must have been modern camo back in the day;)
Father in law tells me all the time how mad his dad was when they brought in orange, he was a wool/ plaid guy through and through.

#7 David G

David G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationSalmon River, Digby county

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:01 PM

ALW, Thanks so much for posting this ! Brought me back to the 50's when I was a young chap chasing the woods with my Dad. 

A lot has changed since those days but not everything...

"Novacam"...I feel exactly like your father-in-law's Dad. I'll never get use to walking the woods looking like a giant orange light bulb...

This is the licensee and Companion A with me on our 2013 moose hunt in CB.   

P1050954.jpg

#8 featherweight

featherweight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:40 PM

Those videos are excellent! I marvel at the history captured.

In the rocking chair camp vid, I laughed at their method of determining when it was time to leave camp and go home - When a hunter became too chummy, started talking to, or even dressing up for a stuffed bear head.

I didn't want their story to end. Another reminder to us to get the most out of our years in camp.

Thanks for posting these ALW.

#9 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,414 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:03 PM

Frikken AWESOME !!...thankx for posting ALW....lots of old memories...30-30's and red plaid ...gotta LOVE IT !!!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#10 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:22 PM

great videos thanks

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#11 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:12 AM

ha - open sights, metal tags, red/black woolies for safety, deer tied to cars, lace up boots, burning/burying garbage, canvas tents, everyone on foot, - lol, how some things have changed.

thanks for posting these.

#12 bea

bea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:18 AM

i always laugh at my full back pack these days....for an afternoon hunt haha, pretty sure i went to camp for the weekend with less stuff lol.....i remember ( as I'm sure many do) just coming home, grabbing a rifle and a few bullets an heading out the door......good simpler times.

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#13 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:42 AM

i always laugh at my full back pack these days....for an afternoon hunt haha, pretty sure i went to camp for the weekend with less stuff lol.....i remember ( as I'm sure many do) just coming home, grabbing a rifle and a few bullets an heading out the door......good simpler times.

A lot more of those guys back then got lost and or weren't prepared too.

mqdefault.jpgab072989328f3b31f3b5865afa43dd74.jpg

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#14 bea

bea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:52 AM

A lot more of those guys back then got lost and or weren't prepared too.

yup....its really only good for the memory.....in some ways its much better now.....

re lost - I can't even begin to remember how many time I was "turned around" for hours lol....usually just stumbled out somehow by luck often a few hours after dark........thing was, back then..I didnt care lol. 

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#15 hairy_one

hairy_one

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts
  • LocationHantsport

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:10 AM

ALW, Thanks so much for posting this ! Brought me back to the 50's when I was a young chap chasing the woods with my Dad. 

A lot has changed since those days but not everything...

"Novacam"...I feel exactly like your father-in-law's Dad. I'll never get use to walking the woods looking like a giant orange light bulb...

This is the licensee and Companion A with me on our 2013 moose hunt in CB.   

P1050954.jpg

What a great picture...looks like it could have come from the video. I go to NB every year to a buddies camp. He refuses to wear blaze orange....yes, it is illegal and blah, blah, blah...save it...I get it and so does he....but he simply refuses to wear anything other than his red plaid pants, hat and jacket...all wool when he hunts his property. He even has a female mannequin at the beginning of his camp driveway that has a variety of 'outfits' which are changed regularly and are a feature of the trip to camp. My wife made a plaid bikini for the mannequin and on my way home from camp a couple years ago I stopped and 'dressed' the girl in her plaid outfit....was a real hit with the whole crew from the camps in the area. Camp and hunting memories are just priceless!!

#16 heavyweight

heavyweight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,394 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:33 PM

Yes always good to take a trip down memmory lane!Some of shall we say older adventures were certainly memmory makers and not always good ones albeit i get a good chuckle now when i reflect back,thanks for the inspiration.

Its not the mountains ahead that may deter you from your goals,but merely the grain of sand in your shoe

#17 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,414 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:12 PM

"They rocked sooo long they had to replace the floors"...had to be one of the best lines...lmao....What a great pictorial journey from the rocking chair camp !

What a meat pole in the early years !!...neat how they tie their front legs behind the heads. I see that thieves were around back then too..

The way they did the journals and kept pictures...I think that "Pete" or "David G" could have been one of their kids....lol

They all kinda remind me of ol **** Prenneke(sp) "Alone in the wilderness"

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#18 WoodsMaster

WoodsMaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationWhites Lake, Halifax NS

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:14 PM

Ok I think I could add some good ones to this thread. I've explored all over YouTube watching old deer hunting home movies. The rocking chair documentary is by far my favourite. I get a very Nova Scotian feel from it.

Here's some I found about a group of men that make their annual trip into deer camp. Not much hunting action, more of the deer camp experience, but nonetheless a good movie.

As well as a neat little movie from the '60s
https://youtu.be/ojkYQEupvE8
There is no Wifi in the forest, but you will find a better connection.

#19 Pete

Pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:33 AM

My first hunting coat that wasn't a "hand me down". Kept my compass and box of water proof matches(waxed) and whistle and a rough hand drawn paper map of the old roads and trails in the area in one breast pocket. My Dad and Charlie (mentor) drew that map for me. I used it so often I wore it out ! In the other breast pocket , my hunting license, and Brookfield ticket. My hunting knife (hand made by Charlie-a precious gift !) on my belt. A pair of gloves on and an extra pair in my pockets. My Mom sewed in two big pockets inside the jacket. I kept my 2-d cell flash light in one of those pockets and usually a sandwich. I was good from daylight until dark ! My Dad never worried about me unless I didn't show up an hour after dark. I carry my gun in my right arm and usually rest it across my left arm. The patch on the arm is where I almost wore out the material from so many hunting trips. You can still see blood stains in the two big pockets where I would carry partridge or rabbits I might get. In 1974 I was 18 and finally on my own to hunt big game.....what incredible memories !! The hunting summary was still in my breast pocket and is in pristine condition.  Pete

IMG_20170204_093353_zpsnjzs9wwp.jpg

IMG_20170204_093427_zpsuftumz2m.jpg

IMG_20170204_093529_zpsjseehrqu.jpg

IMG_20170204_093650_zps8kktbeqw.jpg

Deer zones in Nova Scotia need to be reduced in size and micro managed by DNR. Zone 107 is too big!! It needs to be cut in half with the Shubie River as a boundry. Areas on the Hant Co side should not be either sex but bucks only, in my opinion. >Pete

#20 bea

bea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:36 PM

cool jacket Pete.....even before I had my first designated hunting jacket....we wore those "doe skin" jack-shirts we bought at K mart lol.  We didnt sit like we do today, so they were quiet and reasonably warm with a wool sweater.  If it was cold we would buy a size large and wear it over the size medium haha.

...We called it BeaverBank Plaid lol.  A small pack of Export "A" would slip in just right in the breast pocket....right next to the little pen holder pocket...although we always thought they were put there to slip a slug in ! 

Another bonus was in the summer...our hunting jackets became fishing jackets.

trout_zpsfcxdtkqc.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users