• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 BowHuntingStig

BowHuntingStig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:08 PM

EDIT: after reading around on the forms I found my answer thank you........... Hello, I have Coyotes coming onto my land in numbers and are threatening my live stock, I'm planing on using my bow and knocking the numbers down but I can't find any straight forward info on it, Question is do I need any kind of permit to hunt coyote or can I just take them?

Thanks.  

#2 Waye Out There

Waye Out There

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
  • LocationJeddore

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:17 AM

I hope the answer you found was that you need a habitat stamp.

#3 heavyweight

heavyweight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:42 PM

If your just interested in hunting them ,good luck with the bow!If your interested in protecting your livestock i would rethink my methodology!

Its not the mountains ahead that may deter you from your goals,but merely the grain of sand in your shoe

#4 BowHuntingStig

BowHuntingStig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:14 PM

all I got is my bow right now, getting my PAL training end of March. 

#5 Clearcut

Clearcut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:48 PM

Look around for a good trapper. The gear works 24/7

#6 Wendell

Wendell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:12 PM

all I got is my bow right now, getting my PAL training end of March. 

You need to pass the bow hunting education course. Then you need to get a Wildlife Resources Card with the 'BT' endorsement. With that, you can purchase a Wildlife Habitat Stamp.

And then you can shoot a coyote with a bow.

#7 BowHuntingStig

BowHuntingStig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:29 PM

The site says I do not need any of what you listed unless I'm wrong? 

“Other Harvestable Wildlife” may be taken or killed without a Wildlife Habitat Stamp, licence or permit but only by the owner/occupier of a property or an agent of the owner/occupier at any time of year. “Other Harvestable Wildlife” Causing Property Damage: Coyote Crow Mice and rats English sparrow Porcupine Rock dove (Common pigeon) Red squirrel and chipmunk Starling Skunk Voles, moles and shrews (excludes Woodchuck (Groundhog) Long-Tailed Shrews, Gaspe Shrew"

Copied Taken from the Hunting Summary PDF  

#8 Waye Out There

Waye Out There

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
  • LocationJeddore

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:50 PM

Here is the actual regulation from the general wildlife regulations

Other harvestable wildlife

3     (1)    For purposes of referring to the wildlife described in subsections (2) and (3) in these and other regulations made pursuant to the Act, such wildlife may be identified as “other harvestable wildlife”.

(2)    The following other harvestable wildlife may be hunted in accordance with these regulations at the following times of the year:

Species                                                     Open Season

(a)    coyote                                                       January 1 to December 31

(B)    red squirrel                                               November 1 to February 28

©    crow                                                          September 1 to March 31

Clause 3(2)(d) repealed: O.I.C. 2008-465, N.S. Reg. 383/2008.

(e)    bullfrog                                                     July 15 to September 30

(3)    The following other harvestable wildlife may be hunted in accordance with these regulations at any time of the year by the owner or occupier of the property or agent of the owner or occupier for the purpose of preventing damage to property:

(a)    mice and rats;

(B)    voles, moles and shrews other than long-tailed shrews, Gaspe shrews and maritime shrews;

Clause 3(3)(B) amended: O.I.C. 2010-429, N.S. Reg. 89/2010.

©    porcupine;

(d)    woodchuck (groundhog);

(e)    red squirrel and chipmunk;

(f)    coyote;

(g)    skunk;

(h)    rock dove (common pigeon);

(i)     crow;

(j)     English sparrow;

(k)    starling.

(4)    Except as otherwise provided in the Act or regulations made pursuant to the Act, it shall be an offence for any person to hunt other harvestable wildlife other than as prescribed in this Section.

(5)    No person shall hunt other harvestable wildlife unless the person is the holder of a valid base licence.

(6)    Subsection (5) does not apply to an owner or occupier or an agent of an owner or occupier hunting other harvestable wildlife in accordance with subsection (3).

(7)    Any person 18 years of age or over may hunt other harvestable wildlife in accordance with these regulations with a firearm or bow if the person has been certified to hunt with a firearm or bow under the Hunter Education, Safety and Training Regulations made under the Act.

Subsection 3(7) amended: O.I.C. 2006-365, N.S. Reg. 153/2006.

(8)    Any person who is not less than 12 years of age or more than 17 years of age may hunt other harvestable wildlife in accordance with these regulations with a firearm or bow if

Subsection 3(8) amended: O.I.C. 2006-365, N.S. Reg. 153/2006.

(a)    the person has been certified to hunt with a firearm or bow under the Hunter Education, Safety and Training Regulations made under the Act;

Clause 3(8)(a) replaced: O.I.C. 2006-365, N.S. Reg. 153/2006.

(B)    the person possesses a minor’s permit issued to the person pursuant to the Criminal Code if hunting is done with a firearm; [and]

©    the person is under the immediate supervision of their parent or guardian or any other responsible person 18 years of age or over who has been certified under the Hunter Education, Safety and Training Regulations made under the Act to hunt with a firearm or bow, as applicable.

Clause 3(8)© replaced: O.I.C. 2006-365, N.S. Reg. 153/2006.

Clause 3(8)(d) repealed: O.I.C. 2008-465, N.S. Reg. 383/2008.

Section 3 replaced: O.I.C. 1999-273, N.S. Reg. 60/99.

Although you will not need a Habitat Stamp on your own property it still appears you will need a bow hunting certification if you plan to hunt them with a bow.

#9 BowHuntingStig

BowHuntingStig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:19 PM

Why is there two different laws? if you read the official Hunting Summary it says I do not, yet that says I do. 

#10 Waye Out There

Waye Out There

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
  • LocationJeddore

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:59 AM

The hunting summary is often confusing lol. If you look at the beginning of the summary it states that it is only a summary and if there is any disagreement go look at the actual law. There is only one law lol.

The summary says you don't need a habitat stamp, licence or permit but doesn't say you do not need to be certified, You can do it without a habitat stamp licence or permit but you have to be certified to ensure you doing it humanely..

#11 BowHuntingStig

BowHuntingStig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:41 AM

Nova Scotia Laws proud haha, thanks guys.  

#12 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:33 AM

You need to pass the bow hunting education course.

I disagree  That bow hunting course is used only for the special bow deer season.

I hunt bears with bow .

If you see a coyote  while  bow hunting them  , buy a  scratch lottery ticket.

If you harvest one with a bow , buy the 649 ticket.

You should just need one.

Luck is on  your side that day.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#13 Waye Out There

Waye Out There

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
  • LocationJeddore

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:07 PM

You might want to review the requirements to hunt bear RB

You have to have a valid Wildlife Resources Card and be certified for the weapon with which you will be hunting.

https://www.novascot...dnr/paal109.asp

#14 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

Wasn’t disputing the WRC  requirements .

WRT BEAR hunting 

All I found was  this

and 40 pounds

or greater within the draw length of the archer when hunting big

game other than moose.

and this

To Hunt with a Bow (excludes crossbow)

FIRST TIME HUNTERS

who intend on hunting with a bow and arrow in

Nova Scotia must successfully complete the International Bowhunter

Education Program (IBEP) Course

For the purpose of preventing damage to property, the following

“Other Harvestable Wildlife” may be taken or killed without a Wildlife

Habitat Stamp, licence or permit but only by the owner/occupier of a

property or an agent of the owner/occupier at any time of year.

“Other Harvestable Wildlife” Causing Property Damage:

Coyote

Crow

Mice and rats

English sparrow

Porcupine

Rock dove (Common pigeon)

Red squirrel and chipmunk  Starling

Skunk

Voles, moles and shrews (excludes

Woodchuck (Groundhog)

Long-Tailed Shrews, Gaspe

What does this mean??

.   After the close of the season for hunting deer under a Deer Hunting

Licence (General), until March 31 of the year following, a person

may, while hunting coyote use a any center-fire, rimfire or muzzle

loaded rifle or shotgun with slugs or ball.

So does that mean no bow hunting coyotes after  mid dec til 31 Mar with a bow??

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#15 Ian

Ian

NSFAH President

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:19 PM

Non-protected wildlife - permitted weapons

6 (1) Subject to the Act and regulations, any person authorized by the General Wildlife Regulations may possess and use while hunting other harvestable wildlife any of the following items:

(a) a shotgun loaded with shot;
Clause 6(1)(a) amended: O.I.C. 2010-244, N.S. Reg. 84/2010.

(b )a bow and arrows with or without broadheads;
Clause 6(1)(b )amended: O.I.C. 2010-244, N.S. Reg. 84/2010.

(b a) a crossbow and bolts or arrows with or without broadheads;
Clause 6(1)(ba) added: O.I.C. 2010-244, N.S. Reg. 84/2010.

(c ) a rifle of .23 calibre or less or a muzzleloader of .40 calibre or less from October 15 to the last day of March in the year following, both dates inclusive; or
Clause 6(1)© replaced: O.I.C. 97-522, N.S. Reg. 101/97; amended: O.I.C. 2007-229, N.S. Reg. 229/2007; O.I.C. 2008-458, N.S. Reg. 376/2008; O.I.C. 2013-215, N.S. Reg. 238/2013.

(d) a rifle/shotgun combination firearm, provided the person does not carry or use rifle ammunition during a season in which the use of a rifle is not permitted
Clause 6(1)(d) added: O.I.C. 2003-186, N.S. Reg. 102/2003.
Subsection 6(1) amended: O.I.C. 94-688, N.S. Reg. 145/94; O.I.C. 2013-215, N.S. Reg. 238/2013.

(2) In addition to the items mentioned in subsection (1), a person may, for the purpose of hunting coyotes, use a rifle or shotgun with rifled slugs or ball after the end of the open season for hunting under a deer hunting stamp (general) until March 31 of the year next following.
Subsection 6(2) amended: O.I.C. 91-836, N.S. Reg. 165/91; O.I.C. 96-460, N.S. Reg. 109/96; O.I.C. 97-522, N.S. Reg. 101/97; O.I.C. 2002-268, N.S. Reg. 75/2002; O.I.C. 2013-215, N.S. Reg. 238/2013.

(3) In addition to the items mentioned in subsections (1) and (2), a person who is the holder of a valid licence may during the open season for big game or small game hunt other harvestable wildlife with any weapon, arrow or ammunition they are permitted to use under their licence under Sections 4 and 5.
Subsection 6(3) amended: O.I.C. 94-688, N.S. Reg. 145/94; O.I.C. 2010-244, N.S. Reg. 84/2010; O.I.C. 2013-215, N.S. Reg. 238/2013.

(4) No person shall hunt other harvestable wildlife with a weapon, arrow or ammunition other than the items prescribed in subsection (1), (2) and (3).
Subsection 6(4) amended: O.I.C. 94-688, N.S. Reg. 145/94; O.I.C. 2010-244, N.S. Reg. 84/2010; O.I.C. 2013-215, N.S. Reg. 238/2013.

#16 bea

bea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:20 PM

You might want to review the requirements to hunt bear RB

You have to have a valid Wildlife Resources Card and be certified for the weapon with which you will be hunting.

https://www.novascot...dnr/paal109.asp

x2

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#17 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:24 PM

For the record I do have a bow course on my WRC.

But I thought that only a bow course was required for the deer bow early season.

I thought that anyone could hunt with a bow outside of the special bow season for deer and not require a bow course as well hunt rabbits with a bow without a course.

Non-protected wildlife - permitted weapons

6 (1) Subject to the Act and regulations, any person authorized by the General Wildlife Regulations may possess and use while hunting other harvestable wildlife any of the following items:

(a) a shotgun loaded with shot;
Clause 6(1)(a) amended: O.I.C. 2010-244, N.S. Reg. 84/2010.

(b )a bow and arrows with or without broadheads;
Clause 6(1)(b )amended: O.I.C. 2010-244, N.S. Reg. 84/2010.

(b a) a crossbow and bolts or arrows with or without broadheads;
Clause 6(1)(ba) added: O.I.C. 2010-244, N.S. Reg. 84/2010.

(c ) a rifle of .23 calibre or less or a muzzleloader of .40 calibre or less from October 15 to the last day of March in the year following, both dates inclusive; or
Clause 6(1)© replaced: O.I.C. 97-522, N.S. Reg. 101/97; amended: O.I.C. 2007-229, N.S. Reg. 229/2007; O.I.C. 2008-458, N.S. Reg. 376/2008; O.I.C. 2013-215, N.S. Reg. 238/2013.

(d) a rifle/shotgun combination firearm, provided the person does not carry or use rifle ammunition during a season in which the use of a rifle is not permitted
Clause 6(1)(d) added: O.I.C. 2003-186, N.S. Reg. 102/2003.
Subsection 6(1) amended: O.I.C. 94-688, N.S. Reg. 145/94; O.I.C. 2013-215, N.S. Reg. 238/2013.

(2) In addition to the items mentioned in subsection (1), a person may, for the purpose of hunting coyotes, use a rifle or shotgun with rifled slugs or ball after the end of the open season for hunting under a deer hunting stamp (general) until March 31 of the year next following.
Subsection 6(2) amended: O.I.C. 91-836, N.S. Reg. 165/91; O.I.C. 96-460, N.S. Reg. 109/96; O.I.C. 97-522, N.S. Reg. 101/97; O.I.C. 2002-268, N.S. Reg. 75/2002; O.I.C. 2013-215, N.S. Reg. 238/2013.

(3) In addition to the items mentioned in subsections (1) and (2), a person who is the holder of a valid licence may during the open season for big game or small game hunt other harvestable wildlife with any weapon, arrow or ammunition they are permitted to use under their licence under Sections 4 and 5.
Subsection 6(3) amended: O.I.C. 94-688, N.S. Reg. 145/94; O.I.C. 2010-244, N.S. Reg. 84/2010; O.I.C. 2013-215, N.S. Reg. 238/2013.

(4) No person shall hunt other harvestable wildlife with a weapon, arrow or ammunition other than the items prescribed in subsection (1), (2) and (3).
Subsection 6(4) amended: O.I.C. 94-688, N.S. Reg. 145/94; O.I.C. 2010-244, N.S. Reg. 84/2010; O.I.C. 2013-215, N.S. Reg. 238/2013.

#18 Waye Out There

Waye Out There

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
  • LocationJeddore

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:54 PM

You missed this part RB, are you looking at the summary or at the actual regulations?

In addition to the items mentioned in subsection (1),

#19 Ian

Ian

NSFAH President

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:35 PM

For the record I do have a bow course on my WRC.
 But I thought that only a bow course was required for the deer bow early season.

I thought that anyone could hunt with a bow outside of the special bow season for deer and not require a bow course as well hunt rabbits with a bow without a course.

No longer a Special Bow only Season for Whitetail deer.
See Archery and Muzzleloader season......

It means you can hunt coyotes with a Bow, as long as you are qualified up to Mar 31 (and have a valid habitat stamp)

Anyone wishing to hunt with a bow, must take and pass the bow hunter education course.
Don't matter what species.....

#20 Clearcut

Clearcut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:30 PM

EDIT: after reading around on the forms I found my answer thank you........... Hello, I have Coyotes coming onto my land in numbers and are threatening my live stock, I'm planing on using my bow and knocking the numbers down but I can't find any straight forward info on it, Question is do I need any kind of permit to hunt coyote or can I just take them?

Thanks.

Did you go to DNR ?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Hellraiser