#1 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:17 AM

I have been using this meat saw  to split down the back bone but every time  its hit and miss.

The blade seems to wander all over the place ,   The blade seems a bit too long as I have run out of threads to tighten it.

I have added a couple washers before the wing nut but its still the  same even when the blade is super tight.

I would think that a  3 - 4 inch wide  blade would track down the spine much better then a 1" blade I use now.

I tend to harvest more pork then  wild game so its mostly going to be used for pork if that makes a diff.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#2 jwr

jwr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:28 AM

I hear ya.. That's always been a problem when cutting your own meat. However ,,, it's a lot easier to use a normal everyday hand say for the same job, sounds unusual but it works great and I've been doing it for years. But the last few years I started using my resiprocating saw and that works even better and only takes half the time.

JW

SOMETHING TO PONDER:  KEEP THE SUN IN YOUR FACE,, AND ALL YOUR SHADOWS WILL BE BEHIND YOU.....

#3 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:31 AM

So it is a problem for most??

With the recip saw do you sand the paint off? Metal or wood blade?

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#4 Wayne

Wayne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationParkdale

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:53 AM

All meat saws are not equal, I have 2-3 I hardly use anymore. I have been using a reciprocating saw for at least 15 years, so much faster.

PS: I use a wood blade and I think it is 8"

Things that I have witnessed over the last 20-40 years. Society has become devoid of common sense and reasoning skills. Idiots breeding more idiots who are led by the nose through simple flashing lights from their iphones and other gadgets. Not only are they told what to think and what to do all under the BS of " social connectedness" but they pay a monthly fee for it.

#5 jwr

jwr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:01 AM

I never have found a need to sand the paint off because I use a blade I have already used to cut some wood. I find if you use a blade too long it's worse than too short. As stated above 8in would be about right i'd say. Yes it's been a problem for most unless you are using a good quality meat saw and then it's easier if you use something like a piece 2x4 , say a foot long or so to jam between the two sides as you cut down to help hold the cut open and makes the cut a lot straighter. Reciprocating saw works the best though.

JW

SOMETHING TO PONDER:  KEEP THE SUN IN YOUR FACE,, AND ALL YOUR SHADOWS WILL BE BEHIND YOU.....

#6 trailstalker

trailstalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:25 AM

X3 on the reciprocating saw

#7 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,414 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:34 AM

Reciprocating saw all the way !!!....8 " wood blade...degreased and greased with Crisco oil.  Cut from the outside in....you'll have Gods "guideline" to show you the path of the backbone... ;) ;)

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#8 harv

harv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:46 AM

x2 on the reciprocating saw I'm going to buy the battery operated one though so i can use it in the field

#9 bea

bea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:05 AM

x2 on the reciprocating saw I'm going to buy the battery operated one though so i can use it in the field

u may know this....but bring an extra battery for field work...we had one die half way thru moose last fall lol

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#10 lesmac

lesmac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationEnglishtown

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:27 AM

Recip.saw all the way! Cheap blades won't do!The stiffer the better! That's what I find for our moose.Works great on deer also!

#11 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,414 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:28 AM

We lent our Rigid 18 V one to a buddy a few yrs ago to use in CB...gave him 3 blades and 4 batteries...said it was the absolute BEST THING EVER for dressing and quartering moose in the field.

It would be a lot of extra weight On a back pack hunt...but with the wheelers and quads now....most guys don't carry anything at all once their moose is horizontal  !

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#12 elitexlr

elitexlr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:21 AM

STIHL makes a battery powered chainsaw. I've used one a number of times on moose but never deer or bear.
I had always used a recip saw and wood blade. By far, the battery powered chainsaw is leaps and bounds better.
If you have the opportunity give one a try.

#13 Markus

Markus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:02 PM

Ours all go thru a meat band saw.  

#14 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:04 PM

Recip saw is the best
Like Kevin said outside in and follow the line
I generally hang my game, quarter it with the recip and bring the pieces to the meat saw. So easy
can i go hunting yet??

#15 coxheathhills

coxheathhills

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Locationcoxheath

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:55 AM

Me and my buddies bone out all of our animals and save the waste for coyote bait and cubby sets.

#16 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:44 AM

Slaughtered a second pig this morning.  8" wood recip blade  worked very well.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

#17 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

Is anyone interested in owl or coyote taxidermy?? I have some beautiful pieces of work here that I'd like to get rid of.

What relevance does this have to this thread?
I am a gun enthusiast. In fact, I guess you could call me one of the "nutz". Don't like it? Too f#%<in bad!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users