MacDonald450

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationCape Breton,

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:55 PM

Hey fellas,

Just wondering what brand of ammunition the people who have 742's like to use in their rifle. I didn't buy this one for hunting full time every deer season, more or less for memory sake of the old guy I bought it from. He has been a very good friend to me, and I'm sure since I'm only 22 I will get years of use out of it. I put 10 test rounds through it before I bought it and it worked flawlessly, no jams what so ever ( Federal Power-Shok 150grain ). 

I heard they are prone to jam so I'm sure there is a type of bullet they like and dislike.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys, take care. 

#2 outdoor addict

outdoor addict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Locationhubbards

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:31 PM

I hunt deer and bear with a 742 in 30 06.inherated it from my father who hunted with it for years and I've hunted with it for the last 8 years. I'm anal about keeping it clean and I shoot Winchester super x 180 grain never had a jamb.only ever needed one shot though what they hit doesn't get back up.

#3 ALW

ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:51 AM

I hunt with my grandfather's 1960's vintage 742 Woodsmaster .308, and love it!

It seems to shoot plain old Remington CoreLokt 150 grain PSP's as good as anything. Which is good as they are readily available and still inexpensive. It'll shoot 1 1/2" groups all day, and better on a good day. It shoots best off a fouled barrel, with the 1st shot on a clean barrel often off by an inch or more. As a result I hunt with it on a fouled barrel whenever possible. 

If it didn't come with the manual, you should get a copy to help with disassembly for cleaning, which isn't difficult at all. I can scan and email you a copy for the year model I have if you'd like. I believe 99% of jamming problems reported for Remi-Semis are a result of improper or lack of proper maintenance, rather than any fault of the rifle. Use a good quality gun lubricant sparingly, especially in cold weather, to avoid gumming up the action; clean & lube the chamber as they are known to get 'sticky' chambers (gunsmith used a wood dowel with fine steel wool wrapped around and spun in the chamber to clean/polish); remember to strip down the fore end and barrel to clean the gas port to allow the recoil system to work properly.

I've never reloaded for this rifle, so I don't know what type of accuracy/performance is possible with hand loads?

Enjoy, and get a sling if it isn't already equipped. LoL

#4 bea

bea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:02 AM

I hunt with my grandfather's 1960's vintage 742 Woodsmaster .308, and love it!

for whatever reasons...the older I get...the more such statements make me smile !   

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#5 First Nation HUNTER

First Nation HUNTER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationNB

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:47 AM

Sometimes it's the little things in life that matter the most.
"If they run, they'll just die tired"

browning_sig-exp_zpsa59d45fb.png

- Browning BLR PG, .300wsm
- Savage Model 111, .270win
- Savage Model 11, .243
- My trusty 1958 Winchester model 12, 12ga
- Limbsaver dz30, Easton FMJ and a muzzy

#6 WoodsMaster

WoodsMaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationWhites Lake, Halifax NS

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:26 AM

Got a 742 in .308 in my safe! Love that rifle. (As you can tell by my username ;) ) always used Remington Core-Lokt in it, never had an issue.
There is no Wifi in the forest, but you will find a better connection.

#7 MacDonald450

MacDonald450

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationCape Breton,

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:50 PM

Awesome thanks for the feed back guys! Going to pick up a box of core - lokt 150 grain and see how they fare out. Who knows,  maybe this will be my go to rifle. But none the less, a good keep sake from the old guy who doesn't have many years left. 

#8 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,087 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:19 PM

Awesome thanks for the feed back guys! Going to pick up a box of core - lokt 150 grain and see how they fare out. Who knows,  maybe this will be my go to rifle. But none the less, a good keep sake from the old guy who doesn't have many years left.

That alone would make it a great rifle in my books !!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#9 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:26 PM

Keep it clean. Easy on the oil and make it the thin stuff. Should function ok with 150-165 grain.

#10 mack11

mack11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted Yesterday, 09:15 AM

Every rifle is different. You could have 5 of the exact rifles in front of you and each one might take a different ammo. Play around with a bunch of different ones and find what works best. That is what ive always found works for me. Sometimes even different lot numbers will effect how the bullet shoots.

#11 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted Yesterday, 11:29 AM

My father in law used a 742 woodsmaster for years without a glitch. I was so impressed, that I bought a remington .308 semi 7400. I had nothing but jamming issues. I kept that for a bit and traded it for a savage 99c in .308. The 742 was in my opinion, a far better made gun. I'm not sure what ammo I was using, but my father in law always used remington core lokt. He was under the impression, that's what he needed to use since the rifle was a remington. Lol. .....but like I said.....he never had an issue.

#12 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted Yesterday, 10:49 PM

If you have jamming issues from the get go with a 7400, it is the magazine. I had one sold it last year to a forum member. It was in the family since new in 87 and never a problem. I sold it because I am not a semi auto lover. The 7400 was far superior to the 742 but neither is meant for someone who is a slacker when it comes to gun maintenance.

#13 tripleD=Dan Danny Daniel

tripleD=Dan Danny Daniel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:51 PM

Have had a 742 since 1978 purchased at Sears in Halifax.(30-06).No problems use a very light oil such as Remington which doesn't gum up like some oils.ALWAYS put light coat on rail as if not lubed the rail will wear in a checkered pattern and ruin the rifle.This advice was given to me by three different gunsmiths,as well as the recommendation of Remington gun oil.Also when loading do not GENTLY close the bolt as this tends to help created a jamb after first shot.So let the bolt slam shut and there will be no problems as l learned right off the bat.
I have always used Winchester 180 gr. silvertip bullets and have never had a problem,this gun goes to the range at least once,but usually twice a year so at least 20 rounds a year for 38 yrs.,even though l have not hunted with it the last three yrs as l fell in love with a Browning x bolt. Used to be a gunsmith in north end of Dartmouth on Woodland I think,forget his name now, he sold me and mounted a Vista scope on it in 1978,for a grand total of $75.Never heard tell of that make scope then or since but it has NEVER moved every year that thing is right on and it's been dropped out of a stand approx.18ft up on two occasions,l tend to nod off lol, but both times l put up a target to check it and it never moved a bit.Gets bumped quite often in and out of safe,truck etc. but never once have l had to adjust the scope and never hurt the rifle.They are a great gun enjoy it,clean it,oil it,you will have it to pass on to your kids.

#14 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,087 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted Today, 07:59 AM

Uh Oh.....^^^^^^^^^^^^  :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:  ^^^^^^^^^^^ Heeeeeee's baaaaaack !!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#15 trailstalker

trailstalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted Today, 10:38 AM

I was thinking the same thing ...hahaha
Hey deer Dan

#16 tripleD=Dan Danny Daniel

tripleD=Dan Danny Daniel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted Today, 04:56 PM

Hmmm not sure if this will be good or bad news for the two above people.
I am not dear dan nor am iiiiiii baaaaaaaccckkk.
I just joined a few days ago
However for your information Mr. Kevin I think I met you at a swap meet, oneDear Dan told me about.Dave had showed me a pitcher of you and what l assume was your wife and a deer;one of you had shot and told me to look for you at the legion and say hello for him.
Now Mr trail sorry don't think l know you
Dave-dear dan,bindigo,tom t Hall was a good friend who introduced me to this site back in the fall and encouraged me to join,and now that l have a computer thing l have joined.Dave showed me how to join and use this site(l thought you had to pay to join).
At this point in time l only ask that you all wait for future articles I will put up.Right now I'm trying to learn as much as l can about this place and how everything works the last computer animal l used with any success was a Commodore 64.Thanks for your co-operation.

#17 Buckmark

Buckmark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationBridgewater

Posted Today, 07:26 PM

Sorry triple D...... Your post sounds EXACTLY what deer old Dan would post. I believe you're the same guy......but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users