• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:23 PM

I have had many of them and it is pretty simple

Learn to clean it properly and keep it that way and they work just fine

If you don't reload they like remington corelokt

Many were recalled back in the day for soft rails but you would know by now I would say if yours fell into that group

If you really want to hear the good and the bad this is probally some of the most detail I have every read and keep it's link

In the end shoot it and enjoy it Congrats

http://www.leeroysra...0-742-7400.html

#22 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:40 PM

Kevin -your the last guy l would argue with about anything to do with guns lol.l've read your posts and you know your chit.But ....... never had any trouble with mine,after l learned to not gently close the bolt when loading,hunted with it for thirty plus years.Now ....maybe l just got a good one!Have had great luck with guns and cars/trucks,never had a lemon.
However lots of smiths have a few kicking around their shop that are nfg,usually from lack of oiling.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#23 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:25 PM

In the almost 30 yrs the 7400 I had was in the family, it got gummed up once from my father using hoppes #9 oil on it. Stripped her down and man what a mess from the hoppes mixing with carbon. Cleaned her all up and stuck with ligh action oil. Never an issue afterward. Knowing how to treat them insures proper function. I still don't like semi deer rifles though lol. I'm a bolt guy.
I am a gun enthusiast. In fact, I guess you could call me one of the "nutz". Don't like it? Too f#%<in bad!!!

#24 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:06 AM

Ah yes the Remington 742, 7400, some of the finest Remington single shot rifles!

One is all you need anyway to get your deer if you put time in with the paper first  :)

#25 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,414 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:48 AM

Some of the "old guys mentallity" that I grew up with was KEEP THE LEAD IN THE AIR..!!!...or..."chance shot will kill the devil sometimes !!

They're just not my style or kind of rifle...personal opinion, that's it!

I agree with all the other posters tho,  ALMOST ALL of the problems with the remi-semi's come from neglect and lack of knowledge about the critter itself.  Maintaining them is a bit more menial, but if you love them, you owe it to yourself AND the deer/ bear to know your firearm personally, and to keep them shooting & running properly ! Easily done once you get the hang of it.
If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#26 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,414 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:51 AM

One is all you need anyway to get your deer if you put time in with the paper first  :)

THIS is all I ever preach Joe! Wait for it...MAKE THAT FIRST ONE COUNT !!
If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#27 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:32 PM

Some of the "old guys mentallity" that I grew up with was KEEP THE LEAD IN THE AIR..!!!...or..."chance shot will kill the devil sometimes !!

They're just not my style or kind of rifle...personal opinion, that's it!

I agree with all the other posters tho,  ALMOST ALL of the problems with the remi-semi's come from neglect and lack of knowledge about the critter itself.  Maintaining them is a bit more menial, but if you love them, you owe it to yourself AND the deer/ bear to know your firearm personally, and to keep them shooting & running properly ! Easily done once you get the hang of it.

Personally I will take the 7600 pump over the semi any day or did my entire life. But as one ages that soft recoil on the 7400 is some nice on the shoulder :)

At one time I was on a mission to get an entire set and pretty much did. The only one that I got any real return on when I sold them was a 280

I did keep two one in 3006 for that year I get a moose tag :( maybe aftre 50 years of trying and the other is in 243 must I say any more about that sweet gun

Cheers

#28 ruger-kid

ruger-kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:02 PM

If you put 10 rounds through it with out any issues I would say you found the right ammo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users