#1 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:40 AM

I met Dave in the woods.l had just shot a nice buck,dressed him and dragged him to the old logging road l traveled on.l was sitting on an old windfall having a smoke and trying to decide whether to drag him or quarter him.l heard movement and here comes another hunter,well l was pissed,to put it mildly.l had been hunting this hardwood five or six yrs and other than my father, had never seen anyone else back there.It was "my" spot.My being upset didn't last very long.

We talked a bit,then having asked me how l came in,he said"l think you may need some help". Dave pulled a folded up tarp out of his pack,and l was about to learn the first trick he would show me.He wrapped the tarp around the deer,tied it and said,you ready and off we went,me l had to stop and rest plenty of times.Dave,l think could have dragged that thing none stop.But the dragging seemed so much easier,with that tarp around it.
Dave had come in from the opposite direction,so for him to help me drag that deer to my car(about two miles) was a big deal to me.We loaded him up,took him to Grandad's and hung him in the hanging tree for all to see;does and small bucks went to the barn lol.
After that Dave would drop in once or twice a year and l'd go up to his relatives place to see him,two communities down the road.Of course we would meet in the woods now and then.Then Dave moved out west.He came home most years and he would call and we would get together.Then l got divorced,moved a couple of times,remarried and moved to where l now live.Didnt see Dave for 10-12 years.
I was working around my yard one day(2011)and heard my name called "remember me he said".Not only had he and his wife moved to NS they bought a house in the same subdivision l live in.We never really hunted together,maybe once or twice and played golf a couple times each year and visited each other now and then..Dave,like my self would talk hunting 24/7/365!
Dave's basement was like a outdoor museum,game mounts everywhere,grizzly bear rug,one stuffed deer,the whole animal! as well as numerous deer heads,elk horns ,a big horn sheep,stuffed coyote,moose horns.There were also moose horns on the back of his shed lol.
As far as shooting,I could use a scoped rifle and he would outshoot me using a handgun.Of course that's not saying much if you out shoot me lol.He once told me that he was only the second person,(at that time) to go through some tactical fun house in the US successfully.He could shoot!
Dave was a great guy and a good friend to all he knew,always helping out friends and neighbors.He WOULD give a stranger the shirt off his back.Dave would donate half his game meat to feed NS every year,he also volunteered there as well as other charities,especially if it had anything to do with kids.Dave made friends very easily as he was very outgoing and likable,never heard anyone say anything negative about him.He also loved to kid around.l remember we were golfing,we got hooked up with two guys we didn't know and of course by the second hole,hunting came up.One guy said he didn't hunt so after tee shots ,as he and l sped off in the cart,Dave says ahole don't hunt let's kick his ball into the woods and or something similar almost every hole after that.No we didn't do it but we did laugh.
Dave passed away earlier this month,never once heard him say why me or it's not fair,all he would say was that's life,my time has come.His wife has informed me that some of Dave's ashes have been spread throughout this favourite hunting area in NS and the remainder will be spread throughout his favourite spot in Saskatchewan where Claire and her family are from.Dave was only 59 when he passed,too too young.
Goodbye my friend. -------------Rest in peace
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#2 bea

bea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:06 AM

nice words

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#3 CoyoteCaper

CoyoteCaper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:05 AM

Very nice tribute to your good friend, brought a tear to my eye...............

Just my .02 cents, no charge.....

gif-chasse-98.gif

#4 MWO

MWO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:07 AM

Classy!!!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

#5 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,630 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:26 AM

Very touching. Rest in piece Mr Wilson aka Deer Dan.
I am a gun enthusiast. In fact, I guess you could call me one of the "nutz". Don't like it? Too f#%<in bad!!!

#6 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:29 PM

A nice tribute . R I P

Citori 725 Sporting
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori Lighting 20 ga
A5 ( not your grandpa's A5 )

#7 louisbear

louisbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Nova Scotia

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

Excellent tribute to your friend. May he rest in peace.

#8 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:45 PM

A very nice tribute for your friend.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users