#1 Ian

Ian

NSFAH President

• Moderators
  • 1,857 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:46 AM

'We'll move on': Archery club owner vows to rebuild after fire

Cass’ Creek Archery Club was hosting top archery athletes from Maritimes this weekend

By Shane Ross

CBC News

Posted: Mar 11, 2017 2:18 PM AT

Last Updated: Mar 11, 2017 2:18 PM AT

The owner of a P.E.I. archery club is devastated after a fire early Saturday morning damaged his building and destroyed tens of thousands of dollars worth of high-end archery equipment.

"It's devastating, it's my life's work," said Duncan Crawford, owner of Cass' Creek Archery Club in Covehead.

The P.E.I. fire marshal is investigating the cause of the fire.
Most of the building will be salvageable, but the club will be closed indefinitely, Crawford said.

The club was hosting a clinic and competition this weekend featuring 15 of the best archery athletes from the Maritimes.

'It's devastating, it's my life's work.'
- Duncan Crawford

They practised on Friday and had their equipment set up for the competition on Saturday. But the fire broke out around 8 a.m. before anybody had arrived, Crawford said.

"I went over at about 7:45 to put the furnace on, and I went home just to get changed and the fella that lives at the store, which is part of the property, he called to say that he just called 911, he could see smoke coming out of the archery building," said Crawford.

He said he'll be working with his insurance company to get everybody's gear replaced as soon as possible.

Crawford said each archery setup costs between $2,000 and $5,000, and he estimates there were between 25 and 30 setups in the building.

Firefighters nearby

More than 20 firefighters from the North Shore Fire Department, located just down the road from the archery club, responded to the call, said fire chief Jason Blackman.

"We had firefighters right in the area and they actually had to drive by the fire in order to get to the fire hall to get to the truck, so they knew what they were in for upon arrival when we were turning back to the scene," he said.

The building was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived, Blackman said. He said it took about 20 minutes to extinguish the fire, and firefighters remained on scene checking for hot spots.

'Move on and rebuild'

Crawford built the club about 4.5 years ago. It became an elite training centre with about 70 members.

"I'm probably still in a little bit of shock," said Crawford. "But we'll move on and rebuild and get on with our lives."

----------------------------------

Weblink to CBC article:

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-fire-1.4021056

#2 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,521 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:06 AM

A passion in your life and the competitors lives just gone...their gear gone, and all those Archers just waiting to compete.

Friggen Shame !!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#3 greybeard

greybeard

GREYBEARD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:26 AM

You have to feel sorry for the loss.

Insanity/Hunting...doing the same thing over and over again hoping for a different outcome.

#4 mack11

mack11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • LocationPictou County

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:23 PM

I was just talking with Duncan last month about a trip to South Africa. Thats terrible news.

#5 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:03 PM

Wow that's got to be devastating for both the owner and the competitors .  

Citori 725 Sporting
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori Lighting 20 ga
A5 ( not your grandpa's A5 )

#6 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:08 PM

Wow that's got to be devastating for both the owner and the competitors .

X2
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users