Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Did It Effect Your Hunting

492 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  long-gone 
#1 ·
Just wondering how the after effects of hurricane jaun effected some of the hunters here.
Remember areas l had hunted previously were impassable and deer movement had changed completely.
Think it took me weeks to figure out their new travel habits that year.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I hunt a ridge ....maybe 2 miles long. the crown of that ridge is a mess.....from the blow downs to the tangle of new growth. Dragging deer out / through that is a nightmare for a solo hunter !

Here's an hour or so on that ridge....200 yards to go in last picture. one of the few open spots on the ridge.

ridge_zpsplmwltvp.jpg

ridge1_zpsedcqen0u.jpg

ridge2_zpsg8a300lu.jpg

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Bea- deer in pic one,the one your dragging? I usually tie a short rope around the neck.Grab the rope and lift the front end up.Less weight to drag,works for me anyway.Each yr l say I'm gonna buy a deer dolly but never have.Lots of places l go it wounds be any good anyway lol.
That yr l intended to hunt a specific ridge as well.The area was a total mess for about a half square mile.Man nor beast could get through.Thought the deer would just skirt the perimeter but no they totally changed their travel routes,moving to a different are altogether.
Thanks for the pics- that fella looks tasty! Dragging them is half the fun lol.

#5 ·
Tim- hunting a field is a little different as you know lol.In some cases the travel route to and from the fields changed tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.