#1 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:56 PM

Right now I have a 500 honda foreman. Is there any reason I would buy a 400 cc side x side?

I will be needing a sXS  to use around the homestead and working in the bush.

I see a SXS getting stuck way more then an atv  by just the shear weight and size . On an atv  its possible to rock side to side the bike to get more traction and  allow movement slowly .

On an atv you can stand up and see obstructions  at both front tires  Not on a SXS..

Looking for a 2 seater  with an area for supplies in the rear.

Inform me please.

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#2 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:47 PM

Get a Honda, all the other SxS have belts, I have been on rides where we had to drag them out of the woods or replace on the spot, Kawi, Yamaha and Can-am.  Pick your poison with the Honda get a 500, 700 or the beast of a 1000, it's up to you how much money you want to spend.  Obviously 500 being the cheapest, but I would put power steering into it, the 500 has the advantage of being about the same width as an ATV, ability to fit in the back of a truck, but no dump bed and obviously a little under powered. The 700's and 1000's both have power steering, a buddy at my work just picked up a 2 seat 700, MSRP $13,499 right now which is a good price. 

Good luck I am looking at getting a Honda sometime next year myself.

mqdefault.jpgab072989328f3b31f3b5865afa43dd74.jpg

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#3 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:27 AM

Whats the name on a Honda SXS

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#4 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,630 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:10 AM

The Honda is called " pioneer". No experience with the bigger ones but I know someone with a 500. It's a butt ugly, lazy ,glorified golf cart. On the plus side it is compact. Your best bet is to check with your local atv club for owner feedback on machines.
I am a gun enthusiast. In fact, I guess you could call me one of the "nutz". Don't like it? Too f#%<in bad!!!

#5 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:42 AM

Agreed the 500 would be under powered, 700 and 1000 wouldn't be.

http://atvsxs.honda.ca/side-by-side

3569.jpg

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

#6 Mister November

Mister November

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Locationin the woods

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:05 AM

i had the honda 500 side by side and traded it up for the 700 honda 4 seat

i will say...i regret it

that 500 side by side was a work horse

it is only 50 inches wide

you can shift it on the steering wheel....nice bonus!

has the bow low gears on it

shaft drive....it has the proven 500 honda 4 wheeler motor on it!

if you only want a 2 seater.....that is the BEST bang for your buck!!!!

i have a 350 honda 4 wheeler

and i have drove 420's

450's and 500's 4 wheelers and that 500 side by side....is by far the best of them all!

I havent had a 4wheeler yet that i couldnt follow....been on poker runs with it....and 4 wheeling with my family and friends....and i can go anywhere they did!

and as far as it being lazy.....i have rounded a 4ft wide x 5ft long and 4 ft high trailer with 4 ft lengths of hardwood and never had a problem hauling it.....even up hill

what i didnt like about it....the back rack/box is only 3/4

no back to it....

and they are governed.....not by computer chip....by the drive train....only 65 kmh on the 500 and maybe 70 kmh on the 700

but i am fine with that....didnt buy it for speed!

just my 2 cents worth!!!

If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.

#7 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:15 AM

The Honda is called " pioneer". No experience with the bigger ones but I know someone with a 500. It's a butt ugly, lazy ,glorified golf cart. On the plus side it is compact. Your best bet is to check with your local atv club for owner feedback on machines.

I agree .......ugly...... what with the 3' high front fenders on the 500 ?????

#8 hairy_one

hairy_one

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • LocationHantsport

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:18 AM

My buddy in NB has the 500 Honda and loves it. We have had many adventures in it...I will say it is tough, will go almost anywhere and seems to have lots of power. I didn't like the noise level as it is quite extreme to me...but maybe all sxs are like that...this is the only one I have driven or been driven in. For what that is worth. 

Butch

#9 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:22 AM

Agreed the 500 would be under powered, 700 and 1000 wouldn't be.

http://atvsxs.honda.ca/side-by-side

3569.jpg

Seems they all have  less aggressive tread tires.

I agree .......ugly...... what with the 3' high front fenders on the 500 ?????

I like those treads and a Mud bug tread

what i didnt like about it....the back rack/box is only 3/4

no back to it....

and they are governed.....not by computer chip....by the drive train....only 65 kmh on the 500 and maybe 70 kmh on the 700

but i am fine with that....didnt buy it for speed!

just my 2 cents worth!!!

I got my moneys worth on that comment..... Speed for me has never been a requirement . But it scares me to  get a 500 cc SXS . It has to be able to do less than my 500 ATV just on size and weigh .

I would probably lean towards a 700

#10 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:25 AM

My buddy in NB has the 500 Honda and loves it. We have had many adventures in it...I will say it is tough, will go almost anywhere and seems to have lots of power. I didn't like the noise level as it is quite extreme to me...but maybe all sxs are like that...this is the only one I have driven or been driven in. For what that is worth. 

Butch

A Sunday drive on a SXS cant be compared to working with one .

I would want a roof and maybe doors to keep the seats dry. At least on an ATV you can stand up to avoid a wet crotch

#11 Mister November

Mister November

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Locationin the woods

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:31 AM

most SxS you see today have big horns or the after market big horns on them for tires

i put them on both of my SxS's and also on my 4 wheeler

i put the doors on mine and the roof....it is wheel worth it

ok...the 500 is not the best "touring" SxS out there..(solid suspension isnt like independent)...but that doesnt mean you cant go on a good tour with it....my buddy and i went on many...

i agree with Butch....

and as far as weight....your not looking at much more weight than the 500 4 wheeler!

#12 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:49 AM

most SxS you see today have big horns or the after market big horns on them for tires

i put them on both of my SxS's and also on my 4 wheeler

i put the doors on mine and the roof....it is wheel worth it

ok...the 500 is not the best "touring" SxS out there..(solid suspension isnt like independent)...but that doesnt mean you cant go on a good tour with it....my buddy and i went on many...

i agree with Butch....

and as far as weight....your not looking at much more weight than the 500 4 wheeler!

Would have though they were all independent suspension on them. Guess not.

My 500 foreman is solid axle also.

Would have thought the weight would have be way more comparing the 500 atv and SXS.

Gong to need a set of tracks for it also. 500 atv is under powered with tracks on it  but again only going 10-15 kms

#13 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,630 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

If you want to go where the atv's go, you're really limited to a handful of machines. The little pioneer, the Arctic cat wildcat trail, and the Polaris rzr 570 and 900s. These machines are 50" wide or less. There are obvious sacrifices to these machines and that is cargo area. Being a trapper, I assume you want to be able to go into the narrow stuff. You might be better off stayin with an atv and a little trailer.
I am a gun enthusiast. In fact, I guess you could call me one of the "nutz". Don't like it? Too f#%<in bad!!!

#14 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:08 PM

Wife mentioned to me that we should get a SXS . She finds the back seat rough on her back . WE have a metal cage on the back rack and a cushion attached to it for her to lean on.

This new machine will see 99.9% use on my property so following other atvs is not an issue.

The SXS must have a place for chainsaw, chains , fencing gear , feed  type stuff I carry every day .

Didn't think the RZR  had a storage place . But will look that up.

#15 Mister November

Mister November

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Locationin the woods

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:40 PM

Would have though they were all independent suspension on them. Guess not.

My 500 foreman is solid axle also.

Would have thought the weight would have be way more comparing the 500 atv and SXS.

Gong to need a set of tracks for it also. 500 atv is under powered with tracks on it  but again only going 10-15 kms

as far as being underpowered for tracks.......after driving the 500 and 700.....i dont know if that is true....the 500 bow low gear.....i doubt you see it under powered.....i might be wrong....i would ask around first!

#16 Mister November

Mister November

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Locationin the woods

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:44 PM

Wife mentioned to me that we should get a SXS . She finds the back seat rough on her back . WE have a metal cage on the back rack and a cushion attached to it for her to lean on.

This new machine will see 99.9% use on my property so following other atvs is not an issue.

The SXS must have a place for chainsaw, chains , fencing gear , feed  type stuff I carry every day .

Didn't think the RZR  had a storage place . But will look that up.

if your looking for the storage space....and tracks...you might want to go with the 700 4 seat....but big difference in price

but with the 700 you have extra room for the wife.....but more important.....your hunting buddies.....dont tell your wife i said that...hehehehe

you have the comfort.....and storage space....power...

what i do....is go to honda dealership and try them both out!

then decide!

ps...nope.....not enough storage in razor lol

#17 dbg

dbg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:36 PM

I have an 800 Commander, it has lots of power. I  think tracks would work fine with it. It'll do 110 kph which is faster than I need, but you can do 70 and it just does it so easy,it's  kind of nice. I use it basically for the same things you mention for the most part. It rides very nice, and is quite maneuverable, about 60 inches wide so narrow 4 wheeler trails would be tight. I built a 8 x 3 steel trailer with bogie wheels and it hauls it easily. But there are a lot of electronics on it, more so than some other machines I think and I've had trouble a couple times going into limp mode. Both times it was a dirty speed sensor, not hard to fix once you find out where it is.

If I was looking at a new one I'd look at the Teryx, the Yamaha Wolverine and the Commander myself.

#18 bea

bea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:54 AM

I'll just chuck this in the mix...cuz I had one....so good or bad...its first hand information.

If you want a work horse....consider an argo.

I'll add what I think the plus's were.

In the spring...u can cross flood waters, muddy spots with ease. No getting wet. Other times of year....water is still not an issue. I had a little electric trolling motor mounted on mine and it was awesome for lakes etc.

If it's roofed.....what a great way to keep black flies off when driving slow....or if working in the woods...a great retreat from them to have a bite or coffee etc. Not too mention weather etc. And....it goes up and down pretty easy....so u can put it up, or down, as need be for the day,

As a go anywhere beast...pretty hard to stick one with 6 or 8 wheels.  

It's a boat ( with motor) and atv rolled into one.

With the tracks on ....it's a year round machine.....

They can carry a gawd awefull load without complaining or too much fear of tipping.

Without a load 4-6 people with ease in the 8 wheel.

As mentioned....size can be an issue and these are big machines for transporting and going thru timber.  They are a bit of a maintenance beast...but mostly just greasing it regular. If I was to get another....I think I'd opt for the 6 wheel...just for size.

argo%202_zps4t6cl4ed.jpg

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#19 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:17 AM

Was out today looking at a Kaw mule 2016 10750 plus tax

Kioti Mechron $14000 plus tax

Honda pioneer 700 with roof windshield winch $19000

Last month we almost bought a brand new car Hyundai Accent  $10000

#20 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:21 AM

Was out today looking at a Kaw mule 2016 10750 plus tax

Kioti Mechron $14000 plus tax

Honda pioneer 700 with roof windshield winch $19000

Last month we almost bought a brand new car Hyundai Accent  $10000

Yes they don't come cheap.  But I am looking at it that it will probably 20 years or more if you take care of it.  Especially honda, there is still 80's ones driving around.

bad guy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users