#1 CoyoteCaper

CoyoteCaper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:29 AM

Anyone ever use those 2 way radios, where I hunt there is no cell phone service so wondering about the 2 way. I see you can get them now with extended ranges but how good are they in valleys etc.

Just my .02 cents, no charge.....

gif-chasse-98.gif

#2 MWO

MWO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:33 AM

The Outfit I hunt with in NL used them in one of their zones. Great reception in level lands, but if one Hunter was on one  side of a Mountain while the other was on the other, zip for reception...

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

#3 reloader50

reloader50

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationWindsor

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:22 AM

MWO is correct. I have a few of the extended range GMRS radios and they will give good reception out to 3-4 KM on level lands. They are only line-of-sight radios so any barriers such as mountains and thick forested lands will pretty much make them useless. I will sometimes turn on my data on my cellphone when I don't have a cell signal and send an email via gmail. Its a round about way to communicate but it lets the wife know where I'm at if I changed my plans on the hunting location.  

#4 First Nation HUNTER

First Nation HUNTER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationNB

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:33 PM

Great rigs for a couple fellas hunting the same area ... to keep in touch, etc
But I always carry my iphone now... (in a couple of zip lock bags .. cheap water resistance .. ;) )
"If they run, they'll just die tired"

browning_sig-exp_zpsa59d45fb.png

- Browning BLR PG, .300wsm
- Savage Model 111, .270win
- Savage Model 11, .243
- My trusty 1958 Winchester model 12, 12ga
- Limbsaver dz30, Easton FMJ and a muzzy

#5 Cranky Pants

Cranky Pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationMount Uniacke

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:34 PM

I have bought many of the Motorola and cobra radios, each time hoping this one will work better than the old ones but I have found them to be equally garbage.  Range on flat ground with some trees is maybe 1/2 km, add some hills and it's less.  Went moose hunting in CB last fall and they were pathetic. could hear the moose calls from my friends a half km away just fine but had no radio reception.  a strong yell would be sufficient.

That said, there is still hope for 2 way radios but you have to look at Chinese radios believe it or not!  In Canada the CRTC limits the output power of these radios to 1/2 a watt or so and that is why the range is so poor.  The Chinese 2 ways in my link below are programmed to the same FRS channels as all the other radios but have 5 watts of output power!

https://www.canadaam...-two-way-radio/

I have a similar model ( Baofeng UV-5r) but it has a lot more bells and whistles and is quite complex but both radios have the same power.  Mine get a solid 2-3 km in thickly wooded ground with some elevation in between and from hill to hill I have got 13km !

Best part is price. these are only $20 each and have everything you need.

Wish I had back all the money from the previous radios.

#6 CoyoteCaper

CoyoteCaper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:55 PM

muchas gracias for the info gents

Just my .02 cents, no charge.....

gif-chasse-98.gif

#7 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

I have bought many of the Motorola and cobra radios, each time hoping this one will work better than the old ones but I have found them to be equally garbage.  Range on flat ground with some trees is maybe 1/2 km, add some hills and it's less.  Went moose hunting in CB last fall and they were pathetic. could hear the moose calls from my friends a half km away just fine but had no radio reception.  a strong yell would be sufficient.

That said, there is still hope for 2 way radios but you have to look at Chinese radios believe it or not!  In Canada the CRTC limits the output power of these radios to 1/2 a watt or so and that is why the range is so poor.  The Chinese 2 ways in my link below are programmed to the same FRS channels as all the other radios but have 5 watts of output power!

https://www.canadaam...-two-way-radio/

I have a similar model ( Baofeng UV-5r) but it has a lot more bells and whistles and is quite complex but both radios have the same power.  Mine get a solid 2-3 km in thickly wooded ground with some elevation in between and from hill to hill I have got 13km !

Best part is price. these are only $20 each and have everything you need.

Wish I had back all the money from the previous radios.

From the Can tire site.

This radio is not certified for use under RSS-119 for Land mobile use. Purchasers of this radio must be a holder of a Certificate in Proficiency in Amateur Radio in order to possess this radio.

Do you have one of those certificate Crankpants?

Thanks to all on this site who assisted with my taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users