ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:40 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...almon-1.4150526

Reading stuff like this pizzes me off big time. The legal and financial penalties for people caught dumping invasive species into NS waterways should be in direct relationship to the environmental damage suffered. The spreading around of bass and pickerel in particular I find upsetting, as these introductions are done solely for selfish purposes, in full knowledge of the impact these species will have on native trout, salmon and other fish populations. And I don't believe 99% of these folks  even eat these species of fish... they fish them for pure 'sport' alone.  

Somebody was telling me recently that Folly Lk is now full of bass, and the trout fishing has suffered badly as a result. Apparently there are even fellas bragging about having taken part in introducing bass to the lake. Why wouldn't they though? Can't say I ever recall hearing of charges being laid against anyone in NS, and just look at the number of waterways bass and pickerel have magically appeared in over the last 20-30yrs.

#2 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,521 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:00 AM

A BIG  X 2 !!!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#3 First Nation HUNTER

First Nation HUNTER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationNB

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:23 AM

X3 -- Nice little lake around home is now full of bass .. :(
"If they run, they'll just die tired"

browning_sig-exp_zpsa59d45fb.png

- Browning BLR PG, .300wsm
- Savage Model 111, .270win
- Savage Model 11, .243
- My trusty 1958 Winchester model 12, 12ga
- Limbsaver dz30, Easton FMJ and a muzzy

#4 Four Mile

Four Mile

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:37 AM

X4,

Pickeral have taken over most of the waterways here in Southwestern N.S.Trout fishing in these waterways is a thing of the past and the most disturbing thing is that the pickeral were deliberately introduced in most of these places by a few idiots.As with the Folly Lake situation,these a##holes went around bragging that they had placed the pickeral in many of these waterways.

In the case here DNR was told about the individuals but the sad reality is that nothing could be done without concrete proof.They said that even proof it would be very hard to prosecute because it would be low on the priority list in the court system.Sad,sad situation. 

#5 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:41 AM

It's funny to me to think about this, years ago I called inland fisheries to report someone dumping bass and pickerel in a lake. They were taking pictures of the release.
I was told to get the license plates so they could talk to them as the closest officer was busy and it would be hours before he could respond.
Got the plates and pictures of them releasing fish and am still waiting for the officer to talk to me about it.
I even called back the following week to discuss it further and again was told everyone is busy.

Do they even care??

Another time I called to report pickerel farther down the shubie canal system than they were reporting, I was told that I was wrong, I misidentified the fish. I asked him if he ever got out from under the desk to go do fieldwork as I'd prove it. He joined me about 2 weeks later and I was right, he was then very concerned about the land locked salmon NOT the trout
can i go hunting yet??

#6 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:50 AM

The people releasing these should be beaten and skinned alive.Once again mankind screws up.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#7 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:42 PM

I gotta ask - what about releasing rainbows, browns & brookies?

#8 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:29 PM

I gotta ask - what about releasing rainbows, browns & brookies?

Fair question,but isn't that just trying to replenish native species,not introducing a new species?
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#9 linnie

linnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:07 PM

Fair question,but isn't that just trying to replenish native species,not introducing a new species?

Depends on where they are released........

But no! !

Shouldn't we leave that to the professionals ? You have no idea if your catch and move fish is healthy or not and it could actually do damage to that water system.  

Don't bite the hand that feeds you

#10 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:50 PM

Depends on where they are released........
But no! !
Shouldn't we leave that to the professionals ? You have no idea if your catch and move fish is healthy or not and it could actually do damage to that water system.

Appears to be some confusion on my part.Trout,be they Brooke's,rainbow or browns are put into our waterways by THE professionals,are they not.The only legal stocking of waterways is done by DFO or with they're approval,isn't it? That's what I was referring to anyway.Not sure if that is what Gary meant or not,just assumed that was where he was coming from.DFO does stock lakes etc for recreation and most of those lakes had trout before hand,they also stock other lakes in late fall to try and help bring back the trout numbers,although the survival rate is fairly low.

#11 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:23 PM

Nova Scotia SUCKS when it come to ANY kind of fisheries, and hatchery release programs that could benefit the people, the province, ...annnd ESP the stocks of the  Atlantic salmon and the native Brook trout too!

You mean to tell me in this day and age, there's no possible way to live trap the Atlantic Salmon from several different native rivers....take the eggs and milt, mix em and rear them up for a spell and then get them put back into the head waters of...or at the very least, up a ways into some of the rivers that are in trouble ??  Government's too busy flying friends and family to fishing lodges in other provinces,  fattening their pensions, filling their friends purses and their arse pockets to worry about the likes of that stuff ! 

They could take lotsa lessons from BC on that subject !

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#12 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:28 AM

Bass must be out of control. Boys are even catching them in their lobster traps on a regular basis

Cheers

#13 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:32 AM

I asked the question because I'm curious why people are pissed about pickerel releases (I am too - have a couple favorite fishing areas taken over by these green crocodiles) when there's government supported programs to release 3 species of trout - some that are not native to this Province.

Hell, as a private citizen,you can even purchase brookies and/or rainbows and release them in your "private" pond.

Kevin - the hatchery in Cape Breton raises/releases Atlantic Salmon from eggs/milt taken from salmon caught in our rivers.

#14 MWO

MWO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:47 AM

Odd how some view things. Browns and Bows are both Non Native, considered Invasive by many, just like Bass and Pike (AKA Chain Pickeral) Browns are considered extremely predatory, spawn freely and move around. They have even been caught in the Weir off Cheverie. No use for Pike (CP) or Bass (Small Mouth) in native Trout waters..... They (CP) sure are showing up in odd spots too, St Croix pond is now full of them, rumours also state they have found their way into Meadow Pond.....I have even caught Bass recently in some backwoods Deadwaters which I have Fished for decades..which I have no explanation how they got there...Pike and Bass must have evolved with Lungs as well as Gills here in NS...

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

#15 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

Well some don't like these bass and pickerel because their hard on our trout.I too am catching bass in places I can't figure out how they got there.
I guess the newer generations want bass and pickerel and aren't worried about the consequences,just as in the past people wanted whitetail deer here and weren't worried about the native critters.

#16 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:04 AM

Nova Scotia SUCKS when it come to ANY kind of fisheries, and hatchery release programs that could benefit the people, the province, ...annnd ESP the stocks of the  Atlantic salmon and the native Brook trout too!

You mean to tell me in this day and age, there's no possible way to live trap the Atlantic Salmon from several different native rivers....take the eggs and milt, mix em and rear them up for a spell and then get them put back into the head waters of...or at the very least, up a ways into some of the rivers that are in trouble ??  Government's too busy flying friends and family to fishing lodges in other provinces,  fattening their pensions, filling their friends purses and their arse pockets to worry about the likes of that stuff ! 
They could take lotsa lessons from BC on that subject !

X 100- should of listened to my Father and gotten into politics- me and McKay fling in a sea king together lol.

#17 op-dog

op-dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Locationaround town

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

I asked the question because I'm curious why people are pissed about pickerel releases (I am too - have a couple favorite fishing areas taken over by these green crocodiles) when there's government supported programs to release 3 species of trout - some that are not native to this Province.

Hell, as a private citizen,you can even purchase brookies and/or rainbows and release them in your "private" pond.

Kevin - the hatchery in Cape Breton raises/releases Atlantic Salmon from eggs/milt taken from salmon caught in our rivers.

just for the record the salmon released from the Margaree hatchery are Atlantic Salmon but they are not of a species native to NS. 

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

The facts Ma'am, just the facts. - Sergeant Joe Friday

#18 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:46 PM

yea Gary, I know...but that's the only one now I believe. There were a lot of hatchery programs a number of years back. Seemed to be a going concern. Class trips, DNR tankers coming and going with trout, fingerlings,  parr and smolts.....be a frosty morning in Hades now before you'd ever see one...lol

Not much effort from the gubment now....and it's only gonna get worse . 

#19 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:04 PM

just for the record the salmon released from the Margaree hatchery are Atlantic Salmon but they are not of a species native to NS.

WOW, that's too bad theyre not using broodstock, eggs, etc from NS anymore.

#20 superslickie

superslickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Locationmt uniacke

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:42 PM

From my memory, I believe that the water is now too warm (2') for Salmon to reproduce in our local waters.
I'm sure by now that the water is even warmer
can i go hunting yet??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users