#1 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:22 PM

So where did the 40lb min.for deer come from.
My father and I;(and lots of others);hunted with bows long before the" bow season" and all the regs on bow hunting came along.Pretty much long bows and recurves,I don't remember there being a min draw wt. then,Dad bought a new bow; ( fibreglass recurve);with a 32 lb draw wt.and figured it was THE BOMB BOW for deer.At the time the sales guy at Cleve's,( when it was a hunting and fishing store),told him it was all he needed.He then gave me his old longbow to use.We shot deer with both these bows and they killed deer just as quick and effectively as my 55-70 compound does.Just a std broad head too,none of these spring loaded expanding exploding ones like they use today.
I do realize we must use our common sense when it comes too such things.One example being,when I was a kid I had one of those little green fibreglass bows 12 or15 lb draw wt,or somewhere there,that I used for shooting squirrels ,rabbits,grouse and target shooting etc.; and that it would not be acceptable for big game.But 30lb draw wt. is plenty for deer at close range.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#2 bea

bea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:59 AM

been 40 for as long as i can remember. not sure where it came from but its a pretty common cutoff weight.  it doesnt mean it cant be done with less.....but somewhere a cut-off need to be placed.   It's like a .22 for big game.....it can and has been done plenty of times....but that doesn't mean its an ideal big game round.

When u say fiberglass recurve, do you mean a glass backed bow or solid fiberglass.  I'm just guessing, but in the years Cleve's was around...it was 40lb legal weight. 

As important as bow weight is arrow tuning and proper spine etc.  I'd rather shoot a deer with a 40lb bow with a perfectly tuned arrow than a 60 lb bow with an arrow having wobbly poor flight.  

Kinda like saying i Have a 12 guage shotgun...so that should be great for deer....and it can be for sure.....but not if u are shooting # 7 birdshot lol. 

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#3 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:09 AM

The second part of that law that should be noted is that the bow in question Must achive that draw weight with in your draw length .

Citori 725 Sporting
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori Lighting 20 ga
A5 ( not your grandpa's A5 )

#4 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:38 AM

Bea - you remember Cleve's on Argile (original store).I bought my first hunting license in 71 ( small game at 14),I read the reg book cover to cover every year for about ten years but I don't remember there being anything about using a bow back then in the book.Went to a compound when I realized what I was using was only 32lbs pull,would of been after the separate season came into being.
I always thought an arrow killed by hemorrhage therefore making the broadhead somewhat more important than the speed ( as long as you get enough penetration).I never got into bow technology. Is a 22 a fair comparison to a 30lb draw with a three bladed broadhead at say twenty yds or less?
Bows have evolved to be super deadly and accurate,watched a guy on tv shoot a deer with a bow and the exit hole looked like a cannon went through the thing.Like I say I don't know a lot about the tech stuff ,I buy some arrows,attach a broadhead and go hunt.When I bought the compound I had no idea ( still don't) why there were sights and that balance thing sticking out,they all got thrown away,it's a bow not a rifle lol,probably why I miss a lot.
Yeah I know there had to be a cut off,just like we need a min cal for rifles and a speed limit,I guess to me common sense dictates.
Also gotta ask why you ask solid fibreglass or not pretty sure it was solid glass tho.
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#5 bea

bea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:57 PM

no reason...i was just curious

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#6 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,521 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:39 PM

Kinda pale green / opaque solid fiberglass....red handle in the center with a built in arrow rest....red tips on the ends too. That's the solid glass ones we had circa 72/73...some of the old fishing rods were the same thing...same kinda glass !

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#7 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:56 PM

Kinda pale green / opaque solid fiberglass....red handle in the center with a built in arrow rest....red tips on the ends too. That's the solid glass ones we had circa 72/73...some of the old fishing rods were the same thing...same kinda glass !

Similar,mine was all green with a yellow hand hold/ arrow rest.Got it when I was ten or eleven so 68 or 69.Never had a BB gun,only Dads and you could actually see the bb go.So for hunting birds and squirrels and rabbits ( like most did back then) I used my bow,still remember the first squirrel I shot with that bow,I also remember loosing a LOT of arrows too.Some of Dads I kinda borrowed,cost me a real sore butt,lol.baseball or hunting squirrels,all I did back then! After chores of course.

#8 First Nation HUNTER

First Nation HUNTER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationNB

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:47 AM

I had one of the green fiberglass bows in the late seventies ..
Pellet guns were a main staple of my childhood though..

And I'm still deadly with my kids "Daisy red rider" .. ;)
"If they run, they'll just die tired"

browning_sig-exp_zpsa59d45fb.png

- Browning BLR PG, .300wsm
- Savage Model 111, .270win
- Savage Model 11, .243
- My trusty 1958 Winchester model 12, 12ga
- Limbsaver dz30, Easton FMJ and a muzzy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users