collgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

Consultation on marine recreational fishing licences for eastern Canada

Current status: Open

On May 19, 2017, it was announced that we would consider a new marine recreational licensing system in eastern Canada.

Why

There’s general agreement that a licence would help improve stock assessments and promote sustainable management practices. Feedback is required to help with the proposal for a marine recreational fishing licence to identify gaps and provide input and local expertise.

Past actions

Between 2001 and 2005, we explored the possibility of a marine recreational fishing licence for groundfish in parts of Newfoundland and Labrador, and Quebec. In 2016, consultations were held on a proposal to introduce a licence and tags. Discussions have also been held with various groups on the benefits of a licence.

The results of these past actions demonstrate:

• the importance of recreational fishing to the culture and life of local communities
  • that a licence is seen as a way to ensure that sustainable fishing opportunities continue for future generations of Canadians
Who

This consultation is looking for comments from stakeholders, including:

• anglers
  • Indigenous groups
  • charter boat operators
  • provincial representatives
What

Some stocks are recovering (cod in Newfoundland and Labrador, striped bass in New Brunswick) and others require special attention (mackerel). Because of this, our proposal indicates that:

• there would be no requirement to purchase tags
  • the annual licence would cover April 1 to March 31
  • there would be only 1 licence for all marine species
  • initially, the licence could be offered at no cost to anglers
  • it would be available online, with mandatory catch reporting
  • it would have a category for charter boats and for individual anglers
  • clients on charter boats would be covered by the boat licence
  • priority currently given to Indigenous groups for food, social and ceremonial fisheries will remain unchanged
Feedback questions

We want to get your feedback on the following questions.

1. A decision may be made to eventually apply a fee to the proposed licence. What should the fee entail in terms of levels of fees, categories of licences, timing of implementation or other items of interest?
  2. The licence would initially apply to groundfish, mackerel and striped bass. Are there other marine species that should be included? Are there any concerns about mandatory catch reporting?
  3. On the Pacific coast, the licence is issued online. What type of support would be needed for such a system in eastern Canada? What management conditions should be included on the licence?
  4. Are there any other issues that should be considered?
When and where

Face-to-face consultations will take place at various locations in eastern Canada until July 31, 2017. Dates and locations will be made available below as they’re confirmed.

• Quebec
  • Nova Scotia on June 29, 2017, from 1 pm to 4pm
    • charter boat operators are invited to the Lewis King Boardroom at 
      the Bedford Institute of Oceanography in Dartmouth (1 Challenger Drive)
  • New Brunswick
  • Prince Edward Island
  • Newfoundland and Labrador
How to participate

If you want to participate in the consultation, you may:

Your feedback will be used to develop options going forward.

Related information Contact us

Attn: Marine Recreational License for Eastern Canada 
Room 13S038 - Fisheries Resource Management
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
200 Kent St
Ottawa ON  K1A 0E6

Email contact: Recfish/PecheRec.XNCR@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

http://www.dfo-mpo.g...rec-mer-eng.htm

#2 Rembolt

Rembolt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:34 PM

Lol an other tax grab .does any one here reaĺly think recreactional fishing is the cause of the low numbers .they should suck some more money out of the huge companys as there the one exploiting the stocks .just my opinion .

Citori 725 Sporting
Maxus Stalker
Citori Lighting Micro
Citori Lighting 20 ga
A5 ( not your grandpa's A5 )

#3 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,630 posts
  • LocationLingan

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:18 PM

X2....Is there a limit what Gov't will do to extract money from people? No wonder I get animated when I talk to a politician. They are pond scum!!
I am a gun enthusiast. In fact, I guess you could call me one of the "nutz". Don't like it? Too f#%<in bad!!!

#4 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,521 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:28 PM

I kinda figured there would SOON be a salt water recreation license coming. :rolleyes: Sometimes theres not enuff room for some of the local fishermen to get to their boats at the government wharf because of all the "recreational fishermen/women" plugging off the wharf !!!!!! 

Usually lots of crap left behind too (( literally at times...they were chitting behind the lobster traps !!)) :angry: 

BC always had a two tier / type of fishing license....Tidal (salt) and Non-Tidal (fresh). I could fish any where and any time for any species ( while in season) ....I went for Steel heads on North Vancouver Island on Saturday and Rainbows in Elk and Prospect Lake in the southern Victoria region on Sunday of the same weekend ! Port Alberni on the west coast of the Island and Pedder Bay and Brentwood Bay ( Victoria area )  had some awesome salt water salmon fishing !!!

....  Man, I sure miss my trucking days. Getting the chances to fish and staying with the great friends I made over the years !!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#5 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:31 AM

There's been talk of this license for years at RFAC meetings. Sucks to have that perception of freedom chipped away at again however so many humans using resources that taxing & regulating is inevitable, IMO.

Do I think recreational fishing has caused low population numbers - yes, I do. Sea trout, flounder, smelt, scallops, clams,  to name a few.

Thanks for posting this up, collgan.

#6 Waye Out There

Waye Out There

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationJeddore

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:55 AM

Can't wait to see the uproar when the recreational lobster and crab licences become available.

#7 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:19 AM

Can't wait to see the uproar when the recreational lobster and crab licences become available.

Ha..ha..There's enuff of them round here NOW....and they're at it all summer long Laurie !!  ;)  ;)

DFO has to share boats with the RCMP now,  so they can't seem to do sweet FA about it ! :rolleyes: Policing and patrolling efforts are wayyyy down for DFO and DNR....thanks to the gub'ment   <_<

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#8 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:03 PM

We need a license to poach lobster etc.! Good to hear from you Waye out there it's been a while.I worry about you older guys when you don't post anything for a spell!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#9 BCL

BCL

bcl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:32 PM

Can't wait to see the uproar when the recreational lobster and crab licences become available.

Man would i sure love to see that,still have my gramps traps/herring nets and old buoys from wen he used to fish to feed the kids,they all hated seafood lol,was a poor mans meal back then mom says🙄hehehe
Think we all knew a licence was coming,last couple years flounder fishing the basin,a large percentage were quite small compared to years past,mackeral fishing......same thing....the majority under the legal size.Im sure the draggers have nothing to do with it🙄
I will fill out forms and send letters as per usual,but seems to always fall on deaf ears.So all in all if i gotta spend 20-30$ on another licence so beit,still cheap entertainment for a few months.

#10 Waye Out There

Waye Out There

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationJeddore

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:06 AM

Ha..ha..There's enuff of them round here NOW....and they're at it all summer long Laurie !!  ;)  ;)

DFO has to share boats with the RCMP now,  so they can't seem to do sweet FA about it ! :rolleyes: Policing and patrolling efforts are wayyyy down for DFO and DNR....thanks to the gub'ment   <_<

Same thing here Kevin, if ya want a feed you just have to know where and what to look for and make sure you re-bait them and put them back where you found them.

Sort of like weed and prostitution lol.

You will never stop it, so you might as well make it legal and at least make some money of off the deal lol. Some of the states already have such a licence. I have legally dove for lobster in Boston. I think we were allowed two each. Very similar to our personal use licence for diving for scallops.

Enforcement is down everywhere but I can't say as I blame them. Why put the time, energy and $$$ into enforcement when the judge will either throw it out or issue a fine that is less than what they spent in the tavern on their last visit. Probably get better results out of education. If we keep going the way we are going todays generation will be too lazy to get up of their collective asses and do any of that stuff lol.

I guess most people see it as a victimless crime, unless of course you happen to depend on that resource for your income, then it is quite clear who the victim is when stocks start to drop.

#11 Waye Out There

Waye Out There

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationJeddore

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:09 AM

We need a license to poach lobster etc.! Good to hear from you Waye out there it's been a while.I worry about you older guys when you don't post anything for a spell!

Don't need to worry about me Tripple D. I am just a young gaffer.

When the weather gets nice I don't spend a whole lot of time in the house. Loving this retirement gig but for the life of me I do not know where I ever found the time to go to work lol

#12 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:49 AM

You're absolutely right Laurie !! Easiest way to make something disappear off the books is throw it out... DONE deal !!

Recreational fishing isn't / wouldn't be so bad, if it's able to be kept in check ( like you said....THAT's impossible to do) ....if...IF... folks take a feed now and then, enuff for their family, it wouldn't be so so bad....BUT...but we humans all have that greedy gene built in to us ! 

I used to go with my buddies in Victoria after Dungeness crab and shrimp. Each person with a license was allowed 3 traps for each specie,  IIRC..there was a max possession weight limit too. You could buy the collapsible crab traps at C.Tire. THAT was fun to do and delicious too !

Heard about a couple of guys from outside our area here  (from another area down the way a bit) decimated the few scallop beds we had here last year....of course, we heard about it AFTER the fact as always.....they were bragging how they sold over 700 lbs of meat !!  Stuff can't stand that kind of onslaught !

#13 hassaracker

hassaracker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • LocationWest LaHave, Nova Scotia

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:55 AM

I'm all for a recreational salt water license, especially if I will be able to buy a tag for a lobster trap.  It seems everyone else can set one these days, so why not middle aged white guys ?

#14 ALW

ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:38 PM

If there is a recreational tidal water fishing license being considered, are they actually talking about including lobster and crab for personal use? That would be awesome! 

I have a relatives in  BC and they are allowed to set traps for prawns and crabs, on a recreational license. They'd bring a bag of prawns every time they came home to visit. They'd be craving east coast lobsters and we'd be drooling over west coast prawns. Be nice to be able to do the same here for personal use.  

#15 Tripple D

Tripple D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • LocationHfx

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:09 PM

Don't need to worry about me Tripple D. I am just a young gaffer.
When the weather gets nice I don't spend a whole lot of time in the house. Loving this retirement gig but for the life of me I do not know where I ever found the time to go to work lol

I spend most of my time outdoors as well,in between events such as after golf,I drop in here for a minute tho! Seems everyone says the same thing- don't know how I found time to work lol.
Just one thing tho, if I recollect correctly ; at the liars club your son was the youngest,then it would of been me and the guy with hairy one,then The rest of you guys!
Everyone out there in NSH land have a super duper day and please store your guns in a safe manner 🇨🇦🏌️‍♀️🎱🦌🤠

#16 Waye Out There

Waye Out There

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationJeddore

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:42 AM

You're absolutely right Laurie !! Easiest way to make something disappear off the books is throw it out... DONE deal !!

Recreational fishing isn't / wouldn't be so bad, if it's able to be kept in check ( like you said....THAT's impossible to do) ....if...IF... folks take a feed now and then, enuff for their family, it wouldn't be so so bad....BUT...but we humans all have that greedy gene built in to us ! 

I used to go with my buddies in Victoria after Dungeness crab and shrimp. Each person with a license was allowed 3 traps for each specie,  IIRC..there was a max possession weight limit too. You could buy the collapsible crab traps at C.Tire. THAT was fun to do and delicious too !

Heard about a couple of guys from outside our area here  (from another area down the way a bit) decimated the few scallop beds we had here last year....of course, we heard about it AFTER the fact as always.....they were bragging how they sold over 700 lbs of meat !!  Stuff can't stand that kind of onslaught !

Not impossible to keep it in check, it is done on the other coast and all down through the states but it will take resources to do it lol. 

Lots of fun on the west coast with the crab and there didn't seem to be much of an issue with it but there seemed to be much more of an enforcement presence out there.

You are quite correct some people just can't self regulate, it is all or nothing lol. Pretty sad when you think of it.

#17 Waye Out There

Waye Out There

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationJeddore

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:44 AM

Just one thing tho, if I recollect correctly ; at the liars club your son was the youngest,then it would of been me and the guy with hairy one,then The rest of you guys!  

I think your memory is failing Tripple D, I haven't made the big 50 yet lol        

#18 collgan

collgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:39 AM

The recreational licence would be awesome to have if they include lobster and halibut! I really do hope it mirrors the west coast model. 

The licence serves two purposes.... it does provide a way for the general public to access their resources but it serves as a way to extract money from the law abiding people. Poachers are gonna poach regardless if there is a licence or not.

Although the licence may provide an opportunity for people who wouldn't normally be on the water breaking the law to do it if they are out there and have the opportunity. Whats the difference between 6 lobsters and the limit of 5 if no one is around. 

I would love to see the money collected from the licences to go back into the enforcement guys budgets. 

#19 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:41 AM

Not impossible to keep it in check, it is done on the other coast and all down through the states but it will take resources to do it lol. 

Lots of fun on the west coast with the crab and there didn't seem to be much of an issue with it but there seemed to be much more of an enforcement presence out there.

You are quite correct some people just can't self regulate, it is all or nothing lol. Pretty sad when you think of it.

The recreational licence would be awesome to have if they include lobster and halibut! I really do hope it mirrors the west coast model. 

The licence serves two purposes.... it does provide a way for the general public to access their resources but it serves as a way to extract money from the law abiding people. Poachers are gonna poach regardless if there is a licence or not.

Although the licence may provide an opportunity for people who wouldn't normally be on the water breaking the law to do it if they are out there and have the opportunity. Whats the difference between 6 lobsters and the limit of 5 if no one is around. 

I would love to see the money collected from the licences to go back into the enforcement guys budgets. 

EXACTLY....well said !

#20 Waye Out There

Waye Out There

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationJeddore

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:36 PM

Waye Out There, on 15 Jun 2017 - 06:42 AM, said:snapback.png

collgan, on 15 Jun 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:snapback.png

EXACTLY....well said !

I agree 100%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users