• Moderators
  • 1,857 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:23 AM

Deer management meeting being held in Truro

Truro Daily News
webcomments@ngnews.ca
Published on June 13, 2017

TRURO, NS - A public information session on deer management will be held on June 20, from 5:30-7:30 p.m. it the Community Room of the Truro Fire Hall.

People can come and go during the evening, talking to people at booths be set up in the room.

Truro CAO Mike Dolter said general options will be presented, including the possibility of a cull/hunt.
“One of the things we’re trying to gauge is how accepting people are if we choose to go to a hunt,” he said during Monday’s council meeting.
He said he feels a hunt is the only clear option for reducing the population in the short term, and if that took place it would probably be during the autumn.

He stressed that one of the messages they want to get across to everyone is that they shouldn’t feed deer, as this draws them into town.
Dolter added that a count of the deer population needs to take place this summer, and if they move forward with a hunt a meeting would be held to inform the public on how it would take place.

-----------------------------------------

Truro Daily News article here:

http://www.trurodail...d-in-truro.html

#2 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:57 AM

Good on Truro for having a deer problem, it's the short sighted decisions that made this possible by banning hunting.  Now they realize they have a problem on their hands, hopefully some smart people get out and make it known to the powers that be how important hunting is.

mqdefault.jpgab072989328f3b31f3b5865afa43dd74.jpg

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
was when they killed bambi's mother because I knew somwhere the hunters
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

Gotta Love The Nova Scotia Federation of Anti Hunters

#3 308forme

308forme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

As somebody and their family members who hunt the Truro area, there are more deer in town now than the outlying areas.  Can't imagine an actual hunt within the town.  Logistics would be a nightmare.  

#4 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:58 PM

As somebody and their family members who hunt the Truro area, there are more deer in town now than the outlying areas.  Can't imagine an actual hunt within the town.  Logistics would be a nightmare.  

The no hunting area is the whole boundaries of Truro not just within the town.  See the following picture, highlighted in red is the town limits and No Hunting, Highlighted in Green are possible Hunting areas that they could open up.

S39AOch.png

I remember watching bambi for the first time when I was little and my favourite part
family was eating good that night never understood why they made him out to be the
bad guy.

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but We are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.

#5 ALW

ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:07 PM

And yet more false assumptions/assertions in a public forum.

Just for clarification, Truro does not ban hunting within town limits. The town does not have the legal authority to restrict hunting, as that is a provincial authority.

There is however a municipal firearms bylaw which prohibits the discharge of firearms within town limits. The area in outlined in green, to the south on the map above, is the town's Lepper Brook Watershed Area, and there is nothing to prevent archery hunting on these lands assuming all other relevant regulations are followed.

You can look the bylaw up on the town website.     

#6 ALW

ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:03 PM

Here is a follow-up piece on Truro's deer problem from CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ation-1.4160488

There is a photo of the big droptine buck in the piece. Not sure where it was taken though, looks like maybe Kaulback St? I've only ever seen him down on Marshland Dr or Robie St, so he covers some ground. Love to have a set of his sheds.

#7 beaverhunter

beaverhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAppalachia

Posted 14 June 2017 - 07:17 PM

Nova Scotia town mulls shooting its nuisance deer with bows and arrows
'The hunt is not where we're headed if we can avoid it,' says Truro CAO as he urges people not to feed animals

By David Burke, CBC News Posted: Jun 14, 2017 4:23 PM AT Last Updated: Jun 14, 2017 4:23 PM AT

jeannie-samad.jpg

One resident of Truro was feeding these deer in her backyard. (Jeannie Samad)

The Town of Truro is overrun with deer. Deer in people's yards, deer in parking lots and deer darting across roads.

Town officials say they have become such a nuisance in the Nova Scotia community that one last-resort solution being considered is bringing in hunters to shoot the animals with bow and arrows.

Town CAO Mike Dolter said if Truro decides to do a cull, it would be set up in a way that keeps the public safe.

"It would be bow only. There would be no long guns within town limits, because there is a restriction on that," he said.

"With it set up in a specific way, the general public would be safe should we have to go to that measure. We can control where any projectile would be going."

Four or five hunters would be licensed to hunt deer. In order to bring the population down, Dolter said the cull would have to be conducted over several years. He said the town has been in discussions with the Department of Natural Resources about the prospect of a hunt.

Herds of 15

The town is holding a public meeting next Tuesday at the Truro fire hall at 5:30 p.m. to discuss how to deal with the deer.

"In some cases we've got fairly large herds, up to 10 and 15 deer within the urban setting. So this isn't within the outskirts, they're in the downtown core," Dolter said.

The animals are a divisive issue, according to Dolter. He said some people in the community desperately want them gone, saying they're a nuisance that carry ticks and eat through gardens.

Others love having deer around.

"We're just getting to the point where the population is getting so large that when you're in Truro on a daily basis it's very rare that you aren't going to see a deer," said Dolter.

deer-in-truro.jpg

This is just one of the deer that has been hanging out around Truro. (Submitted by the Town of Truro)

Many people in the town are feeding deer even though it's against the town's bylaws, he said. That practice means deer return for food.

The town also wants to encourage people to help passively drive the deer out of Truro. Dolter said people can set up motion-sensing sprinkler systems in their yards to scare deer away, or grow varieties of vegetables and plants in their garden that don't attract the animals.

"The hunt is not where we're headed if we can avoid it," he said. "We're trying to encourage people to do smart things that will discourage deer from being in town and then we will look at where we go from there."

bad guy.

#8 linnie

linnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:24 PM

Gotta love how the Town has screwed this up!! :lol:

There would be no long guns within town limits, because there is a restriction on that," he said.

As per what ? Oh that discharge thing that the Town has set up contrary to the legal limits as set by DNR.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you

#9 gary

gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Locationhants county

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:31 AM

• elevated archery hunting at approved locations
  • butcher lined up to process & distribute to food bank & community feasts
  • hunting clubs aligned with DNR to provide safety trained hunters
  • goal to remove 70% of deer population
  • residents kept informed/educated via social media

Be a great opportunity.

#10 ALW

ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:08 AM

Not quite sure what you mean by screwed up linnie? Are you suggesting the answer is to let firearm hunting in town as a solution? I'm confused. Pretty sure the vast majority of urban deer culls (lots of places have carried them out) are done using bow and crossbow hunters. In a small percentage of cases they may bring in professional sharpshooters, using rifles, but I believe that is only in the US and not in Canadian municipalities.

I'd say if they messed up on anything, it is not going after the folks intentionally feeding the deer, and drawing them into neighbourhoods where they then decimate plant material on every neighbouring property. But that genie is out of the bottle and the herd in town now are habituated to feeding on home lawns and gardens. Those deer aren't changing their behaviour, unfortunately.   

As for the 'discharge thing', I assume you mean the firearms bylaw? If so the town was within its authority to prohibit the discharge of firearms within town limits. Don't you recall Jim Power's years long battle against the town trying to have the bylaw struck down by the province? Pretty sure that has been put to bed from a legal perspective? The town is working on this in consultation with NSDNR, and they will have reps at the upcoming meeting.

If it ever takes place I hope they partner with Feed Nova Scotia and Hunters Helping the Hungry. As you say gary, it could be an excellent opportunity to gain some positive PR for hunting as a valid wildlife management tool, rather than the bad press it usually sees.

It'll be interesting to see what comes of the public meeting. Time will tell.

#11 ALW

ALW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • LocationTruro

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:15 AM

take'em, if you were ever able to get that droptine buck's photo I think you'd have a pic worthy of display on the cover of any hunting mag or web page. He is a beauty, can't wait to see what his rack will be like this year! It was good to hear that he wasn't killed by a vehicle, as I'd heard last winter. Hope he's strutting around this fall.

It almost looks like the deer in the pic above might have more than one drop on his left beam? But that could be trees/brush in the background I'm seing? If it is more drops than that would be a different big droptine buck than the one I've seen in the Robie St area.  

#12 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,521 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:47 AM

• elevated archery hunting at approved locations
  • butcher lined up to process & distribute to food bank & community feasts
  • hunting clubs aligned with DNR to provide safety trained hunters
  • goal to remove 70% of deer population
  • residents kept informed/educated via social media

Be a great opportunity.

Sure would Gary....could be a chance for NSFAH to start the ball rolling in the right direction. As Mr. Burns would say.......EGG-CELL-ENT  !!!

If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#13 Thunderstick

Thunderstick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:34 AM

Maybe folks are forgetting, like moose, the deer if need culling will first go to the natives.

#14 1NSH Dave

1NSH Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationMiddle Stewiacke

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:18 PM

I had a very animat f discussion today on the Facebook with some stranger from around here about this topic. And then it all got removed. Luckily I snapped a screen shot of her initial post. Haha. She said if the town went through with a hunt she would protest, and then follow the hunters, and block them deer from the hunters. Lol

I happily informed her she'd be in violation of MANY laws under the wildlife act.

Then she tried to say the most economical thing would actually be to sedate and sterilize them, and that according to her research it costs up to 1000$ per deer to be culled as opposed to only a mere 200$ for sterilizing. Haha. There's some batty people out there I tell ya. You can't even get a cat neutered for 200$. And you bring it in a box and hand it to the vet!
Time to start hunting them coyotes, I think!!!!

#15 Markus

Markus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:39 PM

It would be nice if the NWO's in that area would be considered first when selecting individuals for the culling.

#16 bea

bea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:42 PM

It would be nice if the NWO's in that area would be considered first when selecting individuals for the culling.

me and Markus usually agree.....but not on this post !!!  

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#17 Clearcut

Clearcut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:36 PM

How many hunters do you think you will get if all efforts ends up in donation? It will never work no matter how pretty it looks .

#18 bea

bea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:57 PM

I think u would get a lot of hunters

every man will die...but not every man will have lived...http://www.beas-outdoor-adventures.com/index.html

#19 Markus

Markus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,242 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:56 PM

Only reason I say that is because this really isnt a hunt.  It's a cull.  I think calling it a hunt will only tarnish the hunting that goes on the province.  The province already has people trained to deal with nuisance animals....NWO's.  If they have all the certifications and qualifications for an archery bow cull, they should be considered first in my opinion.

#20 bea

bea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:09 PM

here's my thoughts...I personally never wanna see hunters not considered the first line of thought when it comes to game management where possible. Now, if it was a beaver problem.....that would be different.

When hunters are taken out of that loop and consideration....it's a slippery slope. Just because hunters are permitted to be a part of it....doesnt make it a hunt...it could still be called a cull.  Much like was done in the old zone 2a.....some would say that was a huge success.....some would say it was too much of a success . So hunters could get the deer numbers done easy enough I think like they did in 2A.

If any hunt/cull is approved.....the haters are gonna hate. 

Personally, I wouldn't like to see management ( or the tools managers consider as viable) get taken from the hands of hunters, all hunters, and be put in the hands of a smaller group, who may or may not be any more qualified.

Like mentioned...if it was a beaver prob.....call in the NWO's.  If its a deer prob, call in the hunters. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users