#1 HunterFirst_70

HunterFirst_70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationValley

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:02 PM

Hey all, Was just told by a seasoned hunter today, that on the past weekend, while out on a ride on ATV, they came across a calf moose!!! This was in the valley and DNR has been notified, they were very interested!!!
How many other stories are out there???? I have seen tracks that made me wonder.....but nothing confirmed for myself. Let's hear about some sightings, Moose not Bigfoot LOL :lol:

#2 OneShot 30.06

OneShot 30.06

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:31 PM

I believe there are pockets of mainland moose still around, but in smaller numbers.

I myself have seen moose in the back pockets of Burnside a some years ago, and my dad walked upon a cow a few years back, near the Hants/Hfx border,unfortunately, I came across a remains of a moose a year or so later, in the same general area.

I'm thinking with more abundant deer population ,the moose parasite, ( meningeal worm ) which is carried by deer, and more often than not, fatal to moose, is keeping the mainland population of moose much lower than we would like to see.

My $0.02

OneShot30.06

#3 Black Feather

Black Feather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:36 PM

South Mountain or Valley floor, over the years there have been moose sign and sighting in the South Mountain range, Dalhouse West etc. But never heard tell of any Valley Floor area.

#4 ryan

ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:27 PM

Kind of a weird coincidence, I was back to check the trail cam at my rackstacker mineral site, and i had a picture of a moose calf, then when I come on here theres a new topic about someone else who saw a moose calf...

Last year around the middle of deer season I got a trail cam picture of a bull moose, then the sunday after rifle season ended I went up to bring the trail cam home and I saw a big cow moose about 20 yards behind my apple pile, now this year I got a pic of a calf...
you can see the legs of what I assume is momma moose just to the left of the calf, I only got the one picture, they didnt stop to eat any minerals, just followed the path right buy the cam.

Posted Image

#5 GhostWolf

GhostWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:42 PM

I was told that there was a decent bull moose spotted just west of Oakland Farm Zoo, apparently a couple of different folks seen this moose over a 2-3 week span. I never found out until weeks later... They seemed to believe the moose was hanging around the Annapolis River.

Later that same summer I kayaked that portion of the river looking for old and new moose tracks but never seen any... But I know one of the guys who seen this moose personally and he knows his animals.

I heard there is a pond on the Cloud lake road where people have seen moose on numerous occasions? Don't know what pond, but is suppose to have grassy edges...

I hope they grow in numbers, love calling and watching moose.

#6 heavyweight

heavyweight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:46 AM

South Mountain or Valley floor, over the years there have been moose sign and sighting in the South Mountain range, Dalhouse West etc. But never heard tell of any Valley Floor area.

blackfeather about 20 plus years ago stood not to far from a young bull standing in the yard of a friend in Marshaltown,as well some years ago had one wondering around the deep brook area.have seen plenty of tracks in the white sands area back of bear River in years past as well.
Its not the mountains ahead that may deter you from your goals,but merely the grain of sand in your shoe

#7 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts
  • LocationZone 106

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:57 AM

Please take a moment and report your findings to the DNR...Here is a link for you:

Mainland Moose Report Card

Actual sightings and even tracks are valuable information to the DNR.

;)
Shoot straight...Shoot honest...Shoot every coyote you see.

#8 birddawg

birddawg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:06 AM

Nontypical and I saw what we believed was the hindquarters of a moose disappearing into the woods alongside a back road in Digby County back in 2003. Stopped to look for tracks but didn't find any, so we couldn't be sure. My nephew says he almost hit one after dark very close to that spot a week or two ago.

Wild turkeys would be cool, but if I had my druthers, I'd rather see the day when mainland moose made enough of a comeback that there could be some sort of hunt -- primitive, non-motorized, whatever. They're already here, with pockets of breeding populations, so I would think with dedicated effort the herd could be grown.

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom. - Chief Sitting Bull

#9 Markus

Markus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

What a pleasure it would be be to find that moose calf pic on your trail cam. Which zone was that in?

#10 Black Feather

Black Feather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:03 PM

blackfeather about 20 plus years ago stood not to far from a young bull standing in the yard of a friend in Marshaltown,as well some years ago had one wondering around the deep brook area.have seen plenty of tracks in the white sands area back of bear River in years past as well.

HW, Yes the South Mountain range from Yarmonth to Windsor, there has been a few mainland moose roaming around, One with collar on showed up in the Liverpool area last year. I could tell a few moose sighting in the last 20 years but it would take to much time.

#11 HunterFirst_70

HunterFirst_70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationValley

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:10 PM

Wow so the feedback is very interesting...yes this was the south mountain range, that the moose was seen.
Very good to see! And very nice trailcam pic!

#12 ryan

ryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:55 PM

What a pleasure it would be be to find that moose calf pic on your trail cam. Which zone was that in?

Yeah, it was a nice surprise to see that on the cam.. it was in zone 103

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users