• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Big Mike

Big Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:08 PM

From what I can read were aloud to hunt partrdige with a crossbow as it is small game and it begins on oct 1st.When u read the regs it says that u cannot hunt big game during the early archery season with a crossbow including bears.So am I aloud to hunt partidge with a crossbow starting october first or am I aloud to hunt partridge at all with a crossbow?

#2 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts
  • LocationZone 106

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:07 PM

...am I aloud to hunt partidge with a crossbow starting october first or am I aloud to hunt partridge at all with a crossbow?

Hunting small game - permitted weapons

5 (1) Subject to the Act and regulations and to subsection (2), any person may possess in a wildlife habitat during an open season for hunting small game any of the following items:

(a ) a shotgun loaded with shot;

Clause 5(1)(a ) amended: O.I.C. 2010-244, N.S. Reg. 84/2010.

(aa ) a rifle/shotgun combination firearm, provided the person does not carry or use rifle ammunition during a season in which the use of a rifle is not permitted;

Clause 5(1)(aa ) added: O.I.C. 2003-186, N.S. Reg. 102/2003.

(b ) a bow and arrows with or without broadheads;

Clause 5(1)(B) amended: O.I.C. 2010-244, N.S. Reg. 84/2010.

(c ) a crossbow and bolts or arrows with or without broadheads.

Clause 5(1)(c ) added: O.I.C. 2010-244, N.S. Reg. 84/2010.

Yer good to go... ;)
Shoot straight...Shoot honest...Shoot every coyote you see.

#3 buckandbow

buckandbow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationTantallon

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:24 PM

From what I can read were aloud to hunt partrdige with a crossbow as it is small game and it begins on oct 1st.When u read the regs it says that u cannot hunt big game during the early archery season with a crossbow including bears.So am I aloud to hunt partidge with a crossbow starting october first or am I aloud to hunt partridge at all with a crossbow?

I don't think there is a season for partridge,you must mean grouse?
The one thing a public servant hates to do is to serve the public!

#4 Milo

Milo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationDartmouth, NS

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:11 AM

I don't think there is a season for partridge,you must mean grouse?

Chances are pretty good he's talking about grouse, but you raise a good point. Everyone I know, and for as long as I can remember has always called them partridge. Why is it that most people around here call them partridge instead of their proper name? How did that come to be?

#5 Halftail

Halftail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts
  • LocationBarrington,NS

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:15 AM

Gonna try Head shots only Big Mike?lol
If you can't convince them,confuse them.

#6 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:03 PM

Because that's the way it's worded in the song...who ever heard....my true love gave to me......two turtle doves and a grouse innnnn a treeeeeeeee :P

All my young life while hunting with others, I was always told they were partridge.....I still call em that today. :rolleyes: ...Honestly tho, When I hear grouse...I think of the prairies((sharp tailed grouse)...who knows...
maybe it has something to do with the Hungarian partridge that used to be here....you know....getting a couple of each on an outing and just calling them all "partridge"...no differentiating between the two
If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#7 Tim S

Tim S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:52 PM

Hello; its an old thread but i thought i try it before i started a new one. does anyone have any luck hunting small game with a crossbow? i was thinking of getting a crossbow and thought it would be nice to do a little of everything. What points do people use? regs say field or broad head ( i think a little over the top for a broad head on a bird but thats just me). guessing its a little tricky hitting a bird with a bolt? I think it might get a little expensive if you lose bolts even time you shoot at a bird? thanks

#8 First Nation HUNTER

First Nation HUNTER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:24 AM

Judo  point ... cheap arrows,, gets expensive if you miss at times..  :)

#9 Tim S

Tim S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:40 PM

Judo  point ... cheap arrows,, gets expensive if you miss at times..  :)

Thanks,

#10 bad knees

bad knees

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:32 AM

There is no season for Hungarian Partridge. And yes, there is still some Hungarian Partridge in the province, but if you get caught with one, you can be charged with possessing an illegal bird for hunting. The bird we can hunt is the Ruffed Grouse. Being able to know which bird you have in your sights is crucial.  Look at the tails;  Hungarians have a short squared off tail and they seem to act stupid as they allow you to walk close to them without taking off.  Ruffed Grouse have a longer pointed tail and usually will not allow you to get too close unless you sneak in undetected. Of course hunting with a dog, you will need to recognize the difference when they flush. I wonder how many Huns  are killed by mistake each year.

#11 Tim S

Tim S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:16 PM

i did a lot of partridge (ruffled grouse) hunting growing up in Northern Ontario but nothing since moving here. Never seen a hungarian one, but i googled it and can see the differences. Good to know so you don't get the wrong one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users