22 replies to this topic

#1 marf

marf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

This is traditionally the way newfies have been bottling moose meat for years. The recipe works great on venision as well.

Boil and steralize your Jars and lids.

Place a small cube of salt pork back fat into the bottom of each jar.

Fill and tightly press/pack meat (cut up like stew meat) into your jars up to the top of the bottle's shoulder. (or bottom of the neck.

Place another small cube of salt pork back fat on top of each jar.

Add 1 tps of table salt to each jar.

Our family doesn't use any other spices, but some newfies like to add pieces of turnip, pepper and so-on.

Put the lids on your jars and tighten the lids. Do not over tighten...your lids only need to be finger tight here and not wrenched down hard.

Place your jars in a large pot and fill with water to the top of the necks of the jars. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat a little and let gently boil/simmer for 4 hrs.

Remove the jars from the water and let the jars cool on a table. Within 10-15 mins you should start hearing the lids "pop" as they vacum seal themselves. Check each lid by pressing in the middle to make sure each lid is sealed.

Jars of meat are best kept in a cool place such as a canning shelf in a basement, or in a fridge.

I've known many a newfie who will open a jar and eat it like it is. personally, I like to dump a bottle in a pan and quickly heat and dump over mashed potatoes.

This recipe/method will take your toughest leather like moose or deer meat and make it soooo tender and tastey, you'll considering bottling your "whole" next deer. Some people don't like the look of the meat in the jars, but I assure you they have a different opinion when eating it after being heated.

Enjoy....newfie style bottled moose.

#2 monster 5x5

monster 5x5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:15 PM

This is how I do deer meat.
No waste, cut out all fat and grisle

I also add tbsp Montreal Steak Spice.

Add a corn fed deer and you won't be able to tell from moose meat

#3 3macs1

3macs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

I am not a newie but eats it right out of the jar. Have to be on the rock however to taste right may have something to do with the amount of rum in my system :lol: Thanks for sharing

#4 onlya6pt

onlya6pt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

Absolutely, some of the best meat I have ever eaten was Bottled Moose given to me by a Newfoundland salmon guide some years ago. Dear meat, as I found out, turns out the same when similarly prepared. Rabbits, salmon, and I would guess just about anything prepared in this fashion is delicious. Makes a great stew right out of the bottle too. Just simmer some veggies in the cast iron frying pan until tender and add the bottled meat, some dumplings thrown in and bake in the oven for 1/2 hour, I love it. Hey, I think I will do some up.

#5 Chesador

Chesador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationCape Breton

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:49 PM

Anyone ever try it with ducks?

#6 Waye Out There

Waye Out There

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  • LocationJeddore

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

I do almost exactly the same process for ducks
Skin the ducks, remove the breast meat and the legs, soak in salt water overnight to remove the blood
ensure all fat is removed from the meat
pack meat in jars
add salt pork and some black pepper
Screw the lids on hand tight
place in a pot cover with water and ensure they remain covered during the boiling process.
I only boil mine for 3 hours.

Enjoy it heated in a frying pan with some onions and dumped over a thick slice of home made bread with a can of creamed corn (cold of course)

Although the various canning guides don't recommend this method of preserving meat I believe the number of years this has been going on and no one that I know of has ever gotten sick speak for its self.

Just for Kevin : Seal is very good done up like that if the fat is all removed and the blood soaked out.

#7 Greenman

Greenman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationNew Germany / Union Square (zone 103)

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

How long does the bottled meat last? I have three jars on my desk a co-worker gave me from a year ago. The seal is still good, but....................

#8 Waye Out There

Waye Out There

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  • LocationJeddore

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:57 PM

I had a bottle of goose from 2007 a couple of night ago and it was still as good as ever.
I don't think it ever gos bad as long as it is kept out of the direct sunlight.

#9 Trapper Gary

Trapper Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

While the bubble bath method is used, it is not recommended . For meat it is recommended that you use a pressure canner. Canadian tire sells one for about $130 that holds 15 pints. Cooking at 15 lbs pressure not only speeds up the process, but raises the cooking temperture to I think 236 degrees. At this temp every poison making spore is eliminated.
When non members do web searches on subjects, some times your opion posted on this site gets noticed, and can give another perspective !

#10 Trapper

Trapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCole Harbour

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

Funny the timing of this post! I just ate the first bottle of moose for supper tonight that I did up from the moose I shot in Cape Breton this past December. I pretty much did everything you listed marf, except I used unsalted side pork fat. Very impressed of how it turned out, definetely going to do some more up. Might try to add some spices but jeez it really don't need anything else other than salt and pepper. Of course I got the low down on how to do it from my newfie friends :)

Posted Image

#11 newfiesteve

newfiesteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationBeaverbank rd.

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:56 AM

If you do not have a proper pot to seperate the bottles they may break. The easy cheap way, use cardboard underneath and between them.It may come apart a little in the hot boiling water but the mess it will save you will be worth it.

#12 hockeye

hockeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Locationhrm

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:46 AM

Do you add any water to the meat in the bottle?

#13 Trapper

Trapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCole Harbour

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:50 AM

You don't need to add any water, all the juice comes from the meat. Good to note though, stuff as much meat in the jar as you can that way all the meat will stay immersed in the juice.

#14 newfiesteve

newfiesteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationBeaverbank rd.

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:26 AM

1LB bottle 2hs. Quart 2lbs bottles 3hrs. Boiling that long requires adding water to the pot. Remember ....... add boiling hot water to pot only. Try to keep enough water in pot to keep lids underwater.

#15 marf

marf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

You don't need to add any water, all the juice comes from the meat. Good to note though, stuff as much meat in the jar as you can that way all the meat will stay immersed in the juice.

This is a very important tip...we always crammed as much meat into the bottles as possible. We even used the skinny end of a wooden spoon to try and eliminate any visible air pockets on the sides of the bottles. Your meats should be pressed down and packed tightly into the bottles, but don't fill to the top...only to the bottom of the neck, or top of the shoulder. Vary the size of your meat pieces a little helps to fill the entire jar. A generous piece of pork fat on the top also helps to keep the very top of the meat from turning brown.

If you keep your bottled meats in a cool dark place, they will keep great for up to 2 years. It may last longer, but was never able to in our family. ;)

(the bottled meat appears reddish in color, and the very top sometimes turns a brown color and doesn't look the best....I assure you it's still fine to eat and is just as delicious as the rest)

To anyone who has never tried this, I think once you do it, you'll be a fan for life! Everyone I have ever witnessed eat this says "wow, thats good...what the hell did you do to it?...How'd you make it so tasty and tender?"

#16 ecoaster

ecoaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationWindsor, NS

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

I spent the past year in NFLD and had a few feeds of bottled moose :D . I did up a dozen bottles of deer this fall and it was great. I followed the same recipe as above but add chopped garlic, onions, mushrooms and some Montreal Steak Spice when it goes in the pan.

#17 KEVIN

KEVIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationTERENCE BAY, NOVA SCOTIA.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

I do almost exactly the same process for ducks
Skin the ducks, remove the breast meat and the legs, soak in salt water overnight to remove the blood
ensure all fat is removed from the meat
pack meat in jars
add salt pork and some black pepper
Screw the lids on hand tight
place in a pot cover with water and ensure they remain covered during the boiling process.
I only boil mine for 3 hours.

Enjoy it heated in a frying pan with some onions and dumped over a thick slice of home made bread with a can of creamed corn (cold of course)

Although the various canning guides don't recommend this method of preserving meat I believe the number of years this has been going on and no one that I know of has ever gotten sick speak for its self.

Just for Kevin : Seal is very good done up like that if the fat is all removed and the blood soaked out.

A guy gave me six bottles of seal meat about 10 yrs ago....I put em aboard the boat....ran out to the last island, went ashore put em all up on the rocks...went back to the boat...drove 500 yards away...and SHOT em all!!!....It was some friggen good me son!! ;)
If you take your kids hunting,.....You won't have to go hunting for your kids.....KS/85

#18 Inuk

Inuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationCole Harbour

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

Funny the timing of this post! I just ate the first bottle of moose for supper tonight that I did up from the moose I shot in Cape Breton this past December. I pretty much did everything you listed marf, except I used unsalted side pork fat. Very impressed of how it turned out, definetely going to do some more up. Might try to add some spices but jeez it really don't need anything else other than salt and pepper. Of course I got the low down on how to do it from my newfie friends :)

Posted Image

Ate one of these today. DELICIOUS!!!!!
If you are too busy to hunt, if you are too busy to fish..........you are TOO BUSY!!

#19 Trapper

Trapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCole Harbour

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

Glad you liked it Sam, hoping to make more, real soon. Really want to get my hands on a pressure cooker, if anyone is looking to get rid of one let me know.
Trapper

#20 Newf-NS

Newf-NS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAntigonish County

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Born and raised in NL. Ate plently of bottled moose, still do! Always head home for family moose hunting trip, and bring back some bottles. Same can be done with rabbit too. There are more air pockets, and you have to add a bit of water, but just as tastey. Something I like to do with the meat, when back at the camp, is to throw it into a frying pan, with some onions, keep it on a low heat for about 20mins. It will create its own gravey and go at it with butter bread!

Try it out!

Cheers.
A beer in the hand is better than two in the fridge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users