#1 Mudmagnet

Mudmagnet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Locationannapolis valley

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

since the season is here, has anyone found anything that really works for keeping your dogs tick free? i used the advantage stuff last couple years but still seemed to find some on him every now and then.

#2 readeth

readeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationValley

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:08 AM

k9 advantix is the best stuff I've tried. with any of the stuff out there it is only a help.. daily tick checks is still the best medicine.... whatever you chose you are still likely to find ticks on your dog this time of year though..

#3 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,749 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

whatever you chose you are still likely to find ticks on your dog this time of year though..

Ahh it's great having short haired dogs,all white ones especially :lol:
Buffer is a snap to check if ya can get him to stay still long enough!
Bosun is no problem he'll stand for anything.

#4 Dale

Dale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationStewiacke

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

I don't like that Advantix because it's just a pesticide you're giving to the dog which can't be good for the dog. I have 2 golden retrievers and am taking 3 or 4 off each dog each night. I never thought I would see ticks in Colchester County but they are here and here for good I guess. They are in every province now, even the Yukon.
Official Boone and Crockett Measurer

#5 BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • LocationSubject to friendship

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

We use revolution on our Golden and then spray her with the same stuff we use with deet before we let her out.
If a man hasn`t discovered something that he would die for,he isn`t fit to live. - Martin Luther King Jr.

#6 Greenman

Greenman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationNew Germany / Union Square (zone 103)

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

The revolution. Does not keep ticks off at all so far, it does make them easier to remove though. At least that's how it has worked for me.

#7 Elmerfudd

Elmerfudd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationStewiacke NS

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

Dale,
the ticks have been in Stewiacke now for 10 years, as to a cure, I am looking into an all natural wait for it.................... Garlic spray supposed to deter them from getting or staying on. My buddy Beaverbank is a bug guy and if I like the label we are going to give it a try. I will keep you all posted. If it works the price is going to be right at almost any cost to keep the little SOB off me and the dogs. If nothing else you will come home hungry LOL.

#8 Mudmagnet

Mudmagnet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Locationannapolis valley

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

there is a country store here that has started selling all natural tick collars that contain garlic as a deterrent. they might be worth a try.... i'v never had much luck with flea and tick collars though.

#9 dogs-n-natives

dogs-n-natives

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

A better product than advantage is 'Frontline' the tick will still attach to the dog but die almost instantly. You also get a bit longer protection around 3-4 months, so a dose in April will cover my dogs through the worst of the summer. The areas I live and work are rife with them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users