Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

http://thechronicleh...of-ns-wind-farm

Chronicle Herald Aug 14, 2012

Parrsboro-area project abandoned

The mainland moose has derailed a proposed Cumberland County wind farm.
Shear Wind Inc., a Bedford wind developer, says it abandoned plans to seek provincial approval for a 50-megawatt project at Canaan Mountain, near Parrsboro, after government officials said a three-year moose-monitoring program would be needed.

“With this requirement, the timeline for the project could not meet the commercial operation date deadline of the request for proposals,” the company said in a securities filing last week.

Mike Magnus, Shear Wind’s president and chief executive officer, said Monday the company was “surprised and disappointed” to find out about the moose issue 10 days before the bid deadline.

“After assessing the time risks, we were not in a position to put up a $1-million deposit, be awarded a (contract) and then find out certain potential restrictions could impact our delivery obligations or forfeit our deposit,” he said in an email.
The wind farm would be located in a part of Cumberland County that contains habitat for the mainland moose, an endangered species.

Shear Wind had option agreements to lease 2,200 hectares of land for the project. It had also completed about 80 per cent of the work needed to register for a provincial environmental assessment.

Shear Wind, which is being sold to Sprott Power Corp. of Toronto as part of a deal announced last week, did submit a bid to expand its Glen Dhu wind farm in Pictou County but wasn’t successful.

The province’s renewable electricity administrator awarded contracts to three wind farms in Lunenburg and Guysborough counties.

The winning projects, which will be operational by January 2015, were among 19 proposals submitted to the independent administrator.

An Environment Department spokeswoman said government officials didn’t give Shear Wind a three-year time frame for the moose study.

“These proponents were informed that they would have to have a good mitigation plan and that they might need to do some contingent monitoring after the approval process had been complete, that we would want to see how they intended to deal with the mainland moose,” Lori Errington said. “That’s what they were told.”

She said the company could have registered the project for environmental approval, and possibly received the OK from Environment Minister Sterling Belliveau, without having finished the moose monitoring.

“It’s the norm for staff to provide guidance through the process before it even begins to flag issues that may require more detailed study or action by the proponent,” Errington said.

“If an issue is flagged involving wildlife, we work with Natural Resources to identify the risk and provide advice on next steps.”
(jalberstat@herald.ca)
About the Author

By JOANN ALBERSTAT Business Reporter

#2 Lobo

Lobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

I don't think they should hold up something like that over the mainland moose.. DNR isn't really pushing to re-populate the mainland with them as far as I'm concerned, they're as good as extinct now, they just aren't going to bounce back without some serious help... If they showed some interest in re-populating the mainland I'd feel different about it, but they aren't even going to try with them, so it makes no difference to me.. Put up the farm. On the plus side, someone let over a dozen wild turkey's go close to my place recently... :rolleyes: ^_^ ....

#3 WHITEY70

WHITEY70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationZone 101

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

There are lots of other places to put wind farms. The mainland moose are an endangered species and have to be given the same consideration as any other endangered species. Also, as far as I'm concerned, illegally introducing wild turkeys is a negative.

#4 Huntwisely

Huntwisely

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  • LocationShubenacadie

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

x 2 Whitey70

#5 eagle160

eagle160

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Nova Scotia

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

X3 Let the wind farm go elsewhere. Nice to see DNR sound off like they have a pair once and a while. Big business will continue to gobble up our province piece by piece leaving Nova Scotians with little to no rights or access to the land. The resources will be sent out to the largest consumers at a discount leaving the scraps for us here at a premium cost, all the while nullifying the need for a firearm or fishing rod. Time that people realize how fragile our sport and harvestible game really is!!

#6 bakerpete

bakerpete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Locationhammonds plains

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

X3 Let the wind farm go elsewhere. Nice to see DNR sound off like they have a pair once and a while. Big business will continue to gobble up our province piece by piece leaving Nova Scotians with little to no rights or access to the land. The resources will be sent out to the largest consumers at a discount leaving the scraps for us here at a premium cost, all the while nullifying the need for a firearm or fishing rod. Time that people realize how fragile our sport and harvestible game really is!!

x2 What they should do is build the wind farm in Darrel Dexters backyard , with all the hot air and wind coming out of that @#%#@ ,we'd be set for green power for at least 10 years :D :D :D
Wish i had half the skill with a rifle my dad had(rest in peace  Dad).

#7 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

Let's hope the new owners up at Sprott Power in Toronto continue to purchase DSTN turbines, after all you and I are part owners of DSTN.
It would be nice to see some of our turbines spinning in the wind regardless of where the wind farms end up.

#8 buckaroo

buckaroo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationDartmouth

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

x4 eagle 160

x400 bakerpete

#9 Trapper Gary

Trapper Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

So will the main land moose get in the way of atv use if the provinces aquired the bow water mersery lands?

Here in the Tatmagouche area there are wind mills, i see them in Lismore, I see them at Nutby
mtn , there all over the place. private money has gone into some through shares, and the investors will get a return.

Its unfortunate perhaps that some by back land co-op might may never get started to build some wind mills with the procreeds being used to fund the land purchases .

I d say that option is gone for good with this decision.
When non members do web searches on subjects, some times your opion posted on this site gets noticed, and can give another perspective !

#10 WHITEY70

WHITEY70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationZone 101

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

So will the main land moose get in the way of atv use if the provinces aquired the bow water mersery lands?

There are signs on many Bowater roads banning the use of atv's on their land. Many people ignored the signs but it was their policy not to allow them on company land. So if their land is already posted against the use of atv's, I don't see how anything would change in that regard, unless it was to allow them on that land where they were not allowed before. Some of the smaller parcels were not posted but most of the larger blocks were.

#11 eagle160

eagle160

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Nova Scotia

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

Maybe we should ban some land use for anything other than human transport via foot. Folks if we don't get back on our feet we'll soon be walkin on the pavement and nothing else. I have nothing against ATV's and they're fundamental use but they seem to be the first option for the masses instead of the last option.

#12 Trapper Gary

Trapper Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:53 AM

There are signs on many Bowater roads banning the use of atv's on their land. Many people ignored the signs but it was their policy not to allow them on company land. So if their land is already posted against the use of atv's, I don't see how anything would change in that regard, unless it was to allow them on that land where they were not allowed before. Some of the smaller parcels were not posted but most of the larger blocks were.

There is a group started to try and get the government to buy the bow water lands for all rereational users in the province. Those signs might come down to some extent if a co-operative arrangement was made between user groups.
When non members do web searches on subjects, some times your opion posted on this site gets noticed, and can give another perspective !

#13 Trapper Gary

Trapper Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:54 AM

Maybe we should ban some land use for anything other than human transport via foot. Folks if we don't get back on our feet we'll soon be walkin on the pavement and nothing else. I have nothing against ATV's and they're fundamental use but they seem to be the first option for the masses instead of the last option.

Is this not already done with wilderness areas set aside in the province?

#14 Trapper Gary

Trapper Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:21 AM

From todays paper:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/126620-diversity-may-be-forestry-s-future

4.3 million — forested hectares in Nova Scotia

1.6 million — hectares owned by the Crown

1.925 million — cubic metres of wood cut for pulp and paper in 2011

1.865 million — cubic metres of wood cut for sawmills in 2011

550,000 — approximate acres owned by Bowater Mersey Paper Co. Ltd.

$120 million — estimated value of Bowater land

#15 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts
  • LocationZone 106

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:52 AM

Is this not already done with wilderness areas set aside in the province?

Consider this...

Most everyone is aware of the Province's objective to protect 12% of all woodlands (I think this may actually be 15% now)...
The department that is overseeing this, and it is THEIR objective, is Nova Scotia Environment (NSE...formerly department of the Environment, DOE)...

ALL CROWN LANDS are considered as part of the 12% objective...which, as the world turns, will eventually make them subject to the Wilderness Area Protection Act (WAPA)...they are designating new Protected Wilderness Areas from our Crown Lands every year.

The WAPA restricts the use of all motor vehicles, bicycles, and other recreational activities, etc. on lands subject to the Act...unless authorization / permitting / exemption is provided through the authority of the Minister (or another designated group such as Nature Trust...this is a recent change in the Environment Act)...

If you do all that math, it is very foreseeable that all Crown Lands will become restricted as NSE flexes their muscles over them.
Polletts Cove / Aspy Fault is a prime example.

As users of these areas, IMHO, we all had best keep in mind that NSE's objective is to protect these lands from us...not for us.
Shoot straight...Shoot honest...Shoot every coyote you see.

#16 WHITEY70

WHITEY70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationZone 101

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

Maybe we should ban some land use for anything other than human transport via foot.

The whole Tobeatic wilderness area already prohibits the use of all vehicles although some seem not to have gotten the message. This area was expanded a few years ago and covers a huge area in southwest Nova Scotia and they are talking about expanding it further.

#17 WHITEY70

WHITEY70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationZone 101

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

There is a group started to try and get the government to buy the bow water lands for all rereational users in the province. Those signs might come down to some extent if a co-operative arrangement was made between user groups.

I wish them luck. However if the Government gets involved in the purchase, their priorities may not favour the recreational uses. As Bob LeBlanc stated "NSE's objective is to protect these lands from us...not for us."

#18 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationHRM

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

The St Margarets Bay Back Country Coalition are very supportive of hunting and angling under its current leadership and as such have earmarked these activities as primary recreational activities for the Bowater Lands.

Here is the little ad-op circulating.

#19 Trapper Gary

Trapper Gary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

Thats what i was talking about. It can work.

Wind mills might give them the bridge fininacing they need until the lumber market comes back . It will come back, and when it does lots are not going to like it---------- if what I saw working in Germany 15 years ago building Canadian exported houseshappens here , there 2x4 was selling at about $15.00 each. At those prices I would think that we could have real good forestry jobs and the forestry that every one wants.

#20 Bob LeBlanc

Bob LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts
  • LocationZone 106

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

Unfortunately, the example we have to go by is what just transpired with Chignecto.
To gain hunter support, their ads were very similar to St. Margaret's Bay...but somewhere along the line, what they portrayed was deviant from what was delivered. Most notably with the motorized access trails that are suddenly off limits.
Shoot straight...Shoot honest...Shoot every coyote you see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users