Photo

What To Do With The.bear After The Kill?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 doggfish

doggfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

Good day fellow hunters,

I've got a few questions about what I can do with a bear after I've brought it down:

1) is getting the pelt made done up for a rug expensive? something I.can do myself or best I go to a taxidermist?

2) can I and or my.dog. eat the meat?

3) any other suggestions other than a full mount?

cheers gentlemen

#2 KPR

KPR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,757 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis Valley

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:56 AM

IMO bearmeat when handled properly from the moment it is taken to the plate is about the best you can get in NS.
Field dress and get the hide off and meat cooling down as fast as possible,if you can get the carcass hung in a cooler the night of the kill even better,the next day is good but sooner is better.
Remove all the fat you can as soon as you can to aid in cooling.
Cook roasts up on a rack so the fat in them can drain below the meat.
Steaks/chops/burger is best done on the BBQ so the fat goes away but a frying pan isn't out of the question just remove/trim any fat left over after thawing and before cooking.
When we use burger for spaghetti it is rinsed in a strainer under hot water after pre cooking and anything added to it.
Can ya tell the fat isn't all that palatable? :wacko:
Cook it as you would good beef but NEVER rare,it should be completely cooked but not burnt.A slow cook temp is best.
Bones, raw or cooked are fine for dogs.

#3 deadeyes

deadeyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • Locationamherst

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

getting a bear rug done is something you can do yourself but is best left to a taxidermist.cost will run between 125-200+ per foot of length(usually measured from tip of tail to tip of nose).head /shoulder mounts run between 300-600/700 bucks depending on the taxidermist.NOTE you do get what you pay for.

#4 rasorbackq

rasorbackq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationSpringfield NS

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

Dogfish ..... A bear should not be your first animal to try taxidermy on.
Where in NS do you live or plan to hunt?

Thanks to all on this site who assisted in my best taxidermy season . I hope I am even busier next season and can continue to produce even better mounts.

#5 doggfish

doggfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:16 PM

Awesome comments guys. I'm in antigonish. The reason I wanted to get a rug made is because I want to waste as little of the animal as possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users